Drinking water for scans

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by mistyscott, Jan 25, 2011.

1. mistyscott

mistyscott Well-Known Member

Hi all

Just a quick question: I got my 12wk scan date through and the letter says there's no need to attend with a full bladder - does this mean they'll do an internal scan?? For the 12wk?? Or do they do abdominal u/s with empty bladders too?
    I'm thinking of drinking quite a bit just in case it improves the pictures!

2. Eager_Fairy

Eager_Fairy Well-Known Member

I guess it's different depending where you are. Mine came through, and we're going Monday. It says quite specifically to start drinking 1.5ltrs an hour and half before but finish it by half an hour before. If you do need to go to the loo, then you need to top back up :haha:

It can't hurt if you do go with an full bladder because it pushes your uterus forward so you'd get a clearer picture of the baby. I wouldn't have thought they'd do an internal at 12 weeks. And if they need to, you can always pop to the loo.

I honestly don't know how I will hold that much liquid in my bladder, I have the weakest at the best of times! Let alone with a baby and all the excitement...

x

https://global.thebump.com/tickers/ttbce0f.aspx

3. Jetera

Jetera Momma of 1!

I had my 12 week scan yesterday, and the lady said I should have drank more water :). Then she said - "Well I can do a vaginal scan".... and I got a little queasy... but then she got a good shot so she didn't have to. Woohoo!

4. doddy0402

doddy0402 Mummy to 3!

I don't think they plan to do an internal scan at that point unless they have problems getting a good picture. I have a scan appointment for 10 ish weeks and the letter tells me to drink at least 2 pints of liquid before attending my appointment. Maybe ring them up, just to confirm?xx

5. mistyscott

mistyscott Well-Known Member

thanks all - that's why I'm confused, the letter actually states "no need to attend with a full bladder"
    hmmm....might fill it up anyway!

6. Mama627

Mama627 Mom & Preggo w/ #2

Just call and ask, it's unusual that they would want to do an internal scan at 12 weeks.

7. Leanne09

Leanne09 Mum of 2 boys x

my letter said to drink at least 1 litre of water an hour before my appointment xx