Driving with your LO

BurtonBaby

Reaction score
I dont know if any of you have this problem, but its really becoming just that - a problem. Since Erica was born, I always rode in the backseat with her. To reassure her, feed her, whatever I needed to do while in the car. Even on 5 min drives. Well its gotten so bad that now whenever me or DH drive with her alone, she screams her head off because I'm not back there with her. Yesterday we were riding together and I was about to hop back there with her, and DH was like no way. She has to break this habit. She screamed and screamed til she finally passed out (probably out of pure exhaustion from yelling!). It's really hard to cope with, I'm already a nervous driver since I couldn't drive while taking meds I had for most of my pregnancy, so I'm still kinda getting back in the swing of things.

Has anyone experienced this with their LO? If so, PLEASE tell me what to do to make her stop screaming while shes back there on her own.

It's usually me driving on my own with Sam so I'm not in the back with him unless DH and I are both in the car, but he won't sleep in the car any more (used to be asleep by the time we got to the end of the road) and hates being in the car seat facing out the back - and I hate not being able to see him. I bought a spiral thing that goes around the car seat handle and dangles above him, which he loves playing with and most of the time it distracts him enough to keep him quiet if he's awake in the car now...
https://www.johnlewis.com/jl_assets/product/230130884.jpg
Maybe if you get her used to having something like that around while you're at home with her, it'll be something familiar for her to play with and look at in the car? It's awful hearing them crying and not even being able to see them isn't it? :( x

i hate to say it, but your husband is right! you have to let her scream it out! i dont have the car problem but i did have the sleeping problem where she would only fall asleep with me, and i knew i had to break that habit. she didnt scream but whined for about five minutes and it was tough not going to get her and stick her in bed with me, but now she sleeps alone just fine. good luck.

Bella HATES the car! Even if someone is in the back with her. 3 out of 4 car rides she screams her lungs out! It's horrible. I did a search for it and there were lots of things people said worked for her. It's lessened the screaming from every car ride to 3 out of 4, we tried a blanket under her, swaddling her, covering the mirror, putting shoulder padding on the straps, lullabies. I think the swaddling helps the most. She doesn't like being on her back and the swaddling makes her feel more secure.

I dont know if any of you have this problem, but its really becoming just that - a problem. Since Erica was born, I always rode in the backseat with her. To reassure her, feed her, whatever I needed to do while in the car. Even on 5 min drives. Well its gotten so bad that now whenever me or DH drive with her alone, she screams her head off because I'm not back there with her. Yesterday we were riding together and I was about to hop back there with her, and DH was like no way. She has to break this habit. She screamed and screamed til she finally passed out (probably out of pure exhaustion from yelling!). It's really hard to cope with, I'm already a nervous driver since I couldn't drive while taking meds I had for most of my pregnancy, so I'm still kinda getting back in the swing of things.

Has anyone experienced this with their LO? If so, PLEASE tell me what to do to make her stop screaming while shes back there on her own.

Nothing.

That is the one place where I let LO cry it out. You can turn on a static radio station just for white noise... make it just loud enough to overshadow her yelling. She'll eventually quit and go to sleep. Or you can continue to sit by her until she's a little older. She won't always need you there :)

I have to nip this in the butt right away as I drive alone with her a lot.

:hug:

I was going to suggest something like Sam's Mum did, I was having the same issue with Noah, but I also bought something that dangles in front of him, and he has so much fun with it :)

You aren't supposed to have the handle up. How do you attach the toys?

I didnt know you werent suppose to have the handle up, never was told that.

yeah, it's not safe, because in the case of a car accident, they could hit themselves on it.

I font this , it says its for Canada though, but I have the snugride
There are currently 3 seats available in Canada that allow the handle up in the car:
- Graco Snugride (position a, d, and e allowed for vehicle travel - A is all the way up.)
- Graco SS1 (position a, c, d allowed for vehicle travel - A is all the way up)
- Combi infant seats (handle MUST be up in the vehicle on combi infant seats.)

I font this , it says its for Canada though, but I have the snugride
There are currently 3 seats available in Canada that allow the handle up in the car:
- Graco Snugride (position a, d, and e allowed for vehicle travel - A is all the way up.)
- Graco SS1 (position a, c, d allowed for vehicle travel - A is all the way up)
- Combi infant seats (handle MUST be up in the vehicle on combi infant seats.)

Ours is graco too - looks like this in the car:

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/i/m/BCUK/reviewpics/graco-autobaby-2.jpg

so the handle's forward position is above and not in the way x

Awww hon, that must be so frustrating. I hope she starts acting better for you :hugs:

Bren hates the car as well, so I dont know what to say. i thought babies were supposed to go right to sleep in the car?

I get nervous sometimes when driving alone too, Connor is normally good but when he screams it's hard not to be able to just pull over on the highway and comfort him!

Ours is graco too - looks like this in the car:

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/i/m/BCUK/reviewpics/graco-autobaby-2.jpg

so the handle's forward position is above and not in the way x

Maybe I need to buy that one! It might solve the problem. My handle can't hang anything on it, because it's right in front of her face and it specifically says not to have the handle up.

Off to research a new car seat . . .

Our carseat is the Graco one also. The handle has different positions, where it will be above her head like that, and one in front of her face, that we only use while carrying her in it. I have two toys hanging from the handle on her carseat, and she doesn't seem interested in them. She always falls asleep in the car if I'm in the backseat with her. The past couple days I have let her cry it out, and today, DH and I were going to MIL's house and sat her back there alone. She whined for a second, started talking to herself, and fell asleep. I was really impressed with how she handled it. It just makes me much more nervous than I already am, and I honestly HATE driving now. Not to mention everyone in the bay area drives like maniacs (with the exception of HollDoll, Suz, & Miel of course!!) Thanks for all the input girls! I guess we'll just keep doing what we're doing.

It kinda sucks since she seems like she is making improvement... But in the beginning of August we are going to Vegas and driving there. (MIL's idea, NOT MINE!) She will probably get used to me being in back with her again from that trip.

Maybe I need to buy that one! It might solve the problem. My handle can't hang anything on it, because it's right in front of her face and it specifically says not to have the handle up.

Off to research a new car seat . . .

It is great - love the way it just slots into the base too...but it won't be long before Sam's too big for it! I'm much happier in the car now that he's got something to keep him entertained though.

Our carseat is the Graco one also. The handle has different positions, where it will be above her head like that, and one in front of her face, that we only use while carrying her in it. I have two toys hanging from the handle on her carseat, and she doesn't seem interested in them. She always falls asleep in the car if I'm in the backseat with her. The past couple days I have let her cry it out, and today, DH and I were going to MIL's house and sat her back there alone. She whined for a second, started talking to herself, and fell asleep. I was really impressed with how she handled it. It just makes me much more nervous than I already am, and I honestly HATE driving now. Not to mention everyone in the bay area drives like maniacs (with the exception of HollDoll, Suz, & Miel of course!!) Thanks for all the input girls! I guess we'll just keep doing what we're doing.

It kinda sucks since she seems like she is making improvement... But in the beginning of August we are going to Vegas and driving there. (MIL's idea, NOT MINE!) She will probably get used to me being in back with her again from that trip.

So glad she's doing a bit better back there on her own. Hopefully she'll get used to the fact that she won't be in there for long and you haven't disappeared! And it might not be a bad thing you being in the back with her again when you go to Vegas, especially if she's had a bit of time to get used to the fact that you're not always going to be there x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->