Dropping bedtime feed

SpringCrane

Reaction score
Hi all. My son is almost 15 months. He nurses before bed, and occasionally when he wakes in the morning. I'm ready to wean him completely but I don't know how or if I should. I went to "don't offer, don't refuse" when he hit 12 months and quickly dropped down to just nursing in the am and bedtime. The morning feed he'll easily drop. He still actively asks to nurse at bedtime though, and he's really rough and it's become unpleasant for me. It definitely helps calm him down and transition to sleepy time. He goes into his crib awake and STTN.

Can I offer something in place of nursing? He doesn't like cow's milk; he only drinks water. He has dinner, bath, teeth, books, nursing with lights out, then crib. Any suggestions? I can handle waiting for him to drop the feed himself if that's best and keeps him STTN.

Is he rough due to his natural feeding technique or is he just careless and unconcerned about your feelings?

He may be pre-verbal but he'll understand soooo much at that age it is worth telling him when he's hurting you, asking him to be gentle etc. and unlatching him or removing his access to your breasts for a few seconds if he persists.

Thanks for the reply! I guess "rough" wasn't the best word to use. I nurse him while in a chair, and after a few minutes of nursing, he seems to want to go to sleep on his tummy, on my lap, while nursing. He kind of rotates and pulls me along with him. I unlatch him, but he's clearly not done wanting to nurse, as he immediately asks for more. He does it over and over until he's finally done and he'll stop asking for me. I don't know if that makes sense, but that's more or less what's happening. It's just uncomfortable for me, and I feel like I'm ready to be done nursing him. I just don't want to mess with his bedtime routine as he's finally STTN, and I also feel a little guilty for wanting to wean him before he does so himself. We're talking about TTC #2 at some point in the future, and I'd like there to be at least a moment of time between nursing and being pregnant where my body is just mine again, you know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->