Dropping morning nap, but afternoon nap not getting longer

jessmke

Reaction score
My DD is 15 months old and I think she is in the process of dropping her morning nap. Recently we've only successfully manage a morning nap about twice a week, the other days she just refuses to sleep and is perfectly happy and awake until afternoon nap time. The problem is that her afternoon nap hasn't lengthened at all, if anything it has actually shortened! Normally she has 1.5 hrs in the afternoon, but yesterday it was only 30 min! Then she is a mess for the rest of the day until bedtime. How do I encourage the afternoon nap to be longer or will it just adjust in it's own time?

What time does she usually take her afternoon nap? Our youngest is 13 months old.. She has just dropped her morning nap. She used to take a nap at 10am and 3pm. Now she takes her one nap between noon-1 and goes to bed between 7-8. Her one nap is anywhere from 1.5-2 hours. But if she takes her one nap any later than 1, she is overtired which actually seems to cause her to sleep less.

I know you said you spend a lot of time outdoors.. Do you typically go out before or after her nap? I also find if we spend time outside before her nap she sleeps even better.

Big hugs.. Baby sleep time is complicated sometimes.

When the morning nap dropped, I didn't find the afternoon one got longer. It stayed the same. But it did shift a bit earlier in the day, so instead of one around 10am and one around 2pm, it was just one nap of the same length but at around 12-12:30. It's possible maybe she is actually overtired because she needs to sleep sooner, more in the middle of the two nap times, but that's just an idea. Otherwise, I'd just give it time and see what happens, but I wouldn't necessarily expect the afternoon nap to lengthen.

I've thought about trying the afternoon nap a bit earlier, usually she goes down around 1 or 1:30 pm. I'm just worried that if I move her nap too early then se is going to need to go to bed super early, leading to a crazy early wake up the following morning. Also, two afternoons a week I drop her at daycare at 1 pm so I can't really put her down before daycare because the kids there are expected to either nap or have quiet time starting at 1 pm. I'm home with her all day tomorrow so maybe I'll try an earlier nap and just see what happens.

We always either go outside or go to play group before her afternoon nap and it doesn't seem to make a difference with how long she naps.

I am so not ready for her to drop the morning nap. I don't get home from work until nearly 1 am and then am up with her between 6-7 am so I need her to nap in the morning so that I can nap before I have to go back to work in the afternoon!

I've thought about trying the afternoon nap a bit earlier, usually she goes down around 1 or 1:30 pm. I'm just worried that if I move her nap too early then se is going to need to go to bed super early, leading to a crazy early wake up the following morning. Also, two afternoons a week I drop her at daycare at 1 pm so I can't really put her down before daycare because the kids there are expected to either nap or have quiet time starting at 1 pm. I'm home with her all day tomorrow so maybe I'll try an earlier nap and just see what happens.

We always either go outside or go to play group before her afternoon nap and it doesn't seem to make a difference with how long she naps.

I am so not ready for her to drop the morning nap. I don't get home from work until nearly 1 am and then am up with her between 6-7 am so I need her to nap in the morning so that I can nap before I have to go back to work in the afternoon!

That sounds really rough! Hmm I'm not sure what I would do. It would be tempting to try the afternoon nap earlier but then with the daycare working that way, I don't know if that would mess that up. You definitely need the sleep.. My goodness. I hope it all gets worked out or someone else has an idea for you :hugs:

I think I'm going to try moving the nap earlier, but then two afternoons a week she is just going to have to wait until 1 pm to have a nap at daycare. Not ideal but I'm not sure how else to work things. It's only really a problem for the next three months and then I'll be on maternity leave again.

I think I'm going to try moving the nap earlier, but then two afternoons a week she is just going to have to wait until 1 pm to have a nap at daycare. Not ideal but I'm not sure how else to work things. It's only really a problem for the next three months and then I'll be on maternity leave again.

Really hoping that works out for you! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->