Dry mouth at night

glowbabe

Reaction score
Hi all, not sure if this is a pregnancy symptom or maybe a bit of a cold or whatnot, but for the past two weeks I've been waking up in the middle of the night with an extremely dry mouth and throat - dry to the point of not being able to swallow. I'm wondering if maybe its a bit of a cold I'm getting over? Its really annoying having to wake up 2 or 3 times just to take a sip of water to moisten my throat so I can swallow! I just read that extra saliva is a pregnancy symptom - so its weird why I'm experiencing the exact opposite.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I have had the same problem... for a while now! Lucky for me I can usually get away with having a drink when I get up to pee. I think I get it because I stay a bit stuffy these days and so I assume I breath from my mouth at night...

I've def been thirstier than normal. I have to keep a water by my bed now, and I never have before...

I know you are supposed to drink LOTS of water anyhow during pregnancy... to stay really hydrated. No matter how much I drink, I still feel thirsty. And I know last pregnancy my lips were chapped for the entire 9 months. I swear they were back to normal immediately after I gave birth. I think it had to do with being slightly dehydrated the whole time... AND I SWEAR i was drinking TONS of water. It just still wasn't enough!

I have that too!!! I have 3 bottles of water at my bedside because I can't handle the dry mouth when I wake up. I've even made sure to drink plenty before bed but then wake to use the restroom and dry mouth hahahaha I drink more and start all over again. Not sure if it's a sign but I have been getting it the past few days. You would think with as much as I drink I wouldn't have dry skin or chap lips LOL

i am having the HARDEST time with liquids. i can drink lemonade and sometimes ginger ale, but water makes me so nauseous. it is so hard to drink before bed without making myself nauseous, and drinking during the night seems like a recipe for disaster. but i wake up with the most disgusting taste in my mouth, as though ive been asleep for ages. i cannot stand it!

i am having the HARDEST time with liquids. i can drink lemonade and sometimes ginger ale, but water makes me so nauseous. it is so hard to drink before bed without making myself nauseous, and drinking during the night seems like a recipe for disaster. but i wake up with the most disgusting taste in my mouth, as though ive been asleep for ages. i cannot stand it!
My feeling is more like i have a hang over without drinking, it's sooo strange.

I have been getting this every night since getting pregnant, although during the day I have extra saliva and sniffles too! My midwife said it's to do with the sinuses clogging up at night when you're laying down, which causes you to open your mouth to breathe while sleeping and as such dries out your throat and mouth. Hope that helps xx

I'm so glad, this is normal. I suffer this too. I've noticed I keep drinking all day like mad and still I have a very dry mouth, day or night, and I don't seem to have enough! Dry lips too.

Me too with the thirst. I think Im drinking 2-3 litres of water a day. And my lips have been dry since the day after I ovulated!! I wish I had shares in carmex lip balm xx

I get this but i try not to drink too much in the night as im peeing all the time throughout the night arhhh .x

Yup, me too. I get this - kind of like I've had a few wines and fallen asleep, but without the wine?!
Am easily getting through a pint of water each night, but have to ration myself to this - peeing way too much as it is!

so glad to see this post as I have had a dry mouth for days and thought I was abnormal as pregnancy symptoms kind of indicate excess saliva.

I too feel like I have been waking up with a hangover since Saturday and yet I haven't had a drop in weeks:growlmad:

I try not to drink after 9pm but its getting more and more difficult as I am getting thirstier and thirstier lol

im thirsty all the time atm but its worse after 8ish in the evening, just when im trying not to drink too much so i dont have to goto the loo all the time.

I have had the same problem... for a while now! I have been using all natural dry mouth products and lucky for me I can usually get away with having a drink when I get up to pee. Its also possible that pre-natal vitamins often turn out to be the culprit, if you read the pamphlet that comes with the prescription, dry mouth is usually listed as one of the side effects.

I have already responded in this thread I think - but I am going to add that it has gotten much worse for me. I can't stand it. I wake up constantly needing to pee and with a mouth full of cotton! ITs horrible. I suck down water which just makes me need to pee more. NO FUN.

Yup, I've got it too! Woke up coughing like crazy because my mouth and throat were completely dry!

this is me every night.

My new night time routine for the last couple of weeks is:

Take a glass of water and put it by my bed.
go to sleep
wake up and feel thirsty and need the toliet
got to the toilet
come back. sip some more water
wake up again, to drink more water
wake up again this time, the toilet and water

This sequence happens so many times through the night.

I can't believe I have to remember this glass of water by my bed for during the night for the baby. I wouldn't be able to do without it.

So glad others have had this too! I am literally dying of thirst every night when I wake up! I hate it! X

Me too, although I never clicked as to why it may be happening. I normally go through a day drinking around 1 litre of fluid. I know, I know; don't lecture me. I drink more now I'm pregnant.

But now it's like I have to take a bottle of water to bed with me, because I sleep really badly when I have such a dry mouth. Before I was pregnant, I was on pills that dried my mouth out, but now it's even worse!

Yep me too. I've always taken a glass of water to bed but before being pg it always sat there and got thrown away in the morning. Now I have to have a glass of water/squash there as I wake up needing the loo and parched - same as you guys it's the drink/loo cycle. I think I must breath through my mouth too? Also feel achey and can't get comfy at night... bummer! All worth it though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->