Dryer sheets?

October2013

Mommy to a baby girl
Reaction score
I don't know why, but all of my baby's clothes have the dingiest smell to them, almost like cat pee or something although we don't have a cat. :wacko: Pretty sure the smell is coming from the dryer...

I used "All Free and Clear" laundry soap, but I really want to use some of my Gain dryer sheets so they'll smell a little better. Is this ok, or should I just not use any dryer sheets?
*I know they make "All Free& Clear" dryer sheets but I don't think they'd help with the smell, since they're unscented.

I wouldn't some babies are really sensitive , you can try borax or using vinegar in the rinse cycle ( doesn't leave a vinegar smell so don't worry)

Is it just the babies clothes or any of your laundry? Sometimes leaving things in the washer can cause mildew and mold to grow in it , the smell might not be as noticeable on your clothes if you use scented laundry soap .

They have some baby dryer sheets out there that have different smells but I haven't tried them yet. Dreft doesn't make dryer sheets and babyganics dryer sheets have horrible reviews. I would be a little nervous about using something with so many chemicals on a newborns skin but I wouldn't want them smelling like musty urine either.

I would probably try a different detergent with a natural safe fragrance or a baby safe dryer sheet.

I would definitely not use borax on anything that will be going anywhere near a newborn.

It is abrasive, a known irritant, rat and bug poison and not safe for pregnant women.

In fact I wanted to use some for silverfish and the exterminator told me that it wasn't safe to use near pregnant women and my doctor confirmed.

Thanks, girls. Come to think of it, I think the smell is actually coming from the dryer. It's like a burnt kind of smell. Ew... I think I will try the vinegar in the rinse and if that doesn't work I'll look into the Bounce Free and Clear sheets.

I would definitely not use borax on anything that will be going anywhere near a newborn.

It is abrasive, a known irritant, rat and bug poison and not safe for pregnant women.

In fact I wanted to use some for silverfish and the exterminator told me that it wasn't safe to use near pregnant women and my doctor confirmed.

Whooooa really?! I've never heard of it before.

I wouldn't some babies are really sensitive , you can try borax or using vinegar in the rinse cycle ( doesn't leave a vinegar smell so don't worry)

Is it just the babies clothes or any of your laundry? Sometimes leaving things in the washer can cause mildew and mold to grow in it , the smell might not be as noticeable on your clothes if you use scented laundry soap .

Definitely just the baby clothes/ blankets. I try to never leave things in the washer, and the washer itself doesn't smell, but our dryer has kind of a burnt smell to it. Maybe if I dried the clothes on a 'warm' setting instead of 'hot', they won't have that burnt smell to them...

I used dryer sheets briefly when dd was little and she never reacted to them. She does have quite sensitive skin, we have to use sensitive baby wash and sensitive baby lotion on her as she has eczema but the dryer sheets were fine.

If a dryer smells like its burning it may be time to change the belt. That happened to me with my old dryer. Also, check the lint filter and the hose to make sure there is nothing clogged/trapped there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->