Drying advice

CocoaOne

Reaction score
Hi girls,

I initially discounted the idea of using reusable nappies for our LO as our house is small, we don't have a tumble dryer (or anywhere to put one) and we live in England - so drying outside only works for 30% of the year max!

But..... I'm now thinking that there must be some way around my 'challenges', I've done some reading but thought I'd get the opinions of the experts - which is where you come in!

I really like the bumGenius nappies - presumably the fact you take the inner lining out speeds up drying. But how long would you say they take to dry outside and also inside? (I'd be stuck using rads and/or clothes dryer over the bath)

I also LOVE the Itti Bitti D'Lish nappies - I know they do the all-in-one and snap-in-one. Does anyone know how long both of these take to dry? Again, I presume the snap-in-ones are quicker as they come apart.

Are there any other nappies which are quick to dry but not to faffy? I don't want to spend half of my life folding nappies like origami puzzles! And I'm not really sure about two-part nappies - it's all so confusing!

Thanks in advance :flower:

We don't have a tumble and we live in the UK :D

After i wash them, i just pop them on the rads and i've not taken a huge amount of interest in how long they take!! BUT i think they are all roughly the same (if the types i use anyway - Bumgenius, Ittis, and Blueberrys) The outers are normally dry with half hour or so but the inserts (especially the bamboo) take about 1 - 1 1/2 hours :D

Oh is that it?! I was expecting them to take hours and hours!

So how many would I need? Say a baby needs changing 8 times a day..... Would I need 3 days worth? So baby would wear 2 days worth (16), I wash them, and on the third day while they are drying baby would wear the other 8. Obviously that's a very rough estimate!

Or... if I get the snap-in Ittis I could probably get away with having slightly less nappies and get extra snap-in bits for the wet nappies?

Thank you for replying - this is all very new to me!

I wash in the evenings and hang them up in our boiler cupboard and they are dry by morning :D Alternatively I put them on the rads if i need them quicker and they dont take long at all. We dont have a tumble either, and I can honestly say they've only been on the line about 5 times (we live in wales so sun is a rare occurance lol) Its definately do-able! :D

The BG pockets are so quick to dry on a hot radiator, the shell would be done in under an hour and the inserts a couple of hours. It's only really bamboo that takes longer as you shouldn't dry them on direct heat, so are best on a rack next to the radiator, and they can take a couple of days if you don't start them in a dryer.

As for how many changes per day, newborns need more but as we only started using cloth when Adam was a month old, we've never used more than 6 in a day, more like 4 usually, but that's not including overnight, so from about 9am to 11pm. I have 26 nappies, wash every 3rd day, and I have never run out. If I had all quick-drying nappies I could easily manage with 20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->