Dual Citizenship-Am I missing something???

O

Ozzieshunni

Alex was born in the UK. It says so in his US passport. However, when we were going through immigration in Heathrow, they said because he didn't have a UK passport (he travelled on his US one, as per US Federal Law), he was not a UK citizen! :saywhat: I produced his birth certificate and the guy was a complete ass about it all! :growlmad: So, am I missing something here?!?!?

The guy also said the US Government "likes" to see US passports! :dohh: No you MORON! It's law that a US citizen, even a dual one, has to travel on their US passport when entering and leaving the US! :dohh:

To be honest, it just sounds like you got hold of an asshat... He IS a dual citizen but the US requires its citizens to travel on a US passport like you said.

Ive heard a lot of people take both passports with them for this reason. They use the US one apart from the UK point of entry just to get back in easily.

To be honest, it just sounds like you got hold of an asshat... He IS a dual citizen but the US requires its citizens to travel on a US passport like you said.

Ive heard a lot of people take both passports with them for this reason. They use the US one apart from the UK point of entry just to get back in easily.

Yeah, he was an asshat. DH was so pissed off. He asked him, "So, until I had a UK passport, I wasn't a UK citizen?" :haha:

The guy said he didn't have right of residency :wacko: I said, "That's funny. When we went to get my Indefinite Leave to Remain, they said nothing about my son needing anything else."

Thats crazy! Some people just dont know so they give out incorrect information.

Though he might want to learn since its his job :dohh:

Yeah, he was saying things to me like, "Ma'am, please don't look at me that way" (I'm damn sure I was younger than him) and "I can see we're not going to agree on this." The other lady there looked really uncomfortable, lol.

It's not agreeing or disagreeing surely it's a fact that he got wrong :wacko: How annoying!

what a whack job. i've gotten questioned really hard coming back to the US, where i LIVE, with my US passport! :dohh: i guess it just all depends on the person you're dealing with.

what a whack job. i've gotten questioned really hard coming back to the US, where i LIVE, with my US passport! :dohh: i guess it just all depends on the person you're dealing with.

My DH always does too :dohh: He is first to remember about free speech though and ends up in secondary inspection. Probably just to inconvenience him!

I think sometimes i get through over there quicker than he does and im not even a citizen :haha:

I'd gather the facts from here, print a copy and carry it with you when going through Immigration in the future:

https://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/dualnationality/

You can do the same from the US website too :thumbup: May save you hassle in future. :)

I'd gather the facts from here, print a copy and carry it with you when going through Immigration in the future:

https://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/dualnationality/

You can do the same from the US website too :thumbup: May save you hassle in future. :)

Thanks :) I'd read up on that before. My son was automatically a dual citizen when he was born, lol. I think the guy was just confused.

I suppose neither his passport nor birth certificate alone are enough to prove that he is a UK citizen (since being born in the UK doesn't automatically make you a UK national), but the fact that your husband's name is on the birth cert and that he was with you with his passport etc should have been proof. Bit of a jobsworth. My friends who have kiddies with dual nationality tend to take both passports with them when they travel, saves hassle with these kinds of people.

My daughter was born in New Zealand, and is a British Citizen through my husband and I both being British. But I don't have a means of proving that when I enter and exit the UK as I only have a NZ passport for her.
I don't really understand why you had a problem? I was entering the UK with me on British Passport and DD on NZ passport and I didn't get asked a single question about her nationality/right to be in the UK.

I think its because showing the birth certificate means nothing to them as being born in the UK doesn't automatically make you a citizen like it does in some other countries,if you had been traveling just youraelf and your son it would have been harder as you wouldn't have had your dh passport with you to prove who your sons father is. Can you get your son a UK passport? Might be easier.

My daughter was born in New Zealand, and is a British Citizen through my husband and I both being British. But I don't have a means of proving that when I enter and exit the UK as I only have a NZ passport for her.
I don't really understand why you had a problem? I was entering the UK with me on British Passport and DD on NZ passport and I didn't get asked a single question about her nationality/right to be in the UK.

The op lives in the UK,she was coming back from a holiday in the USA.

ahhh, thankyou!! That makes a lot more sense now!

I would try and get LO a British Passport before you travel again! Saves problems with asshats and jobsworths.

I got asked no questions at all about LO when I was entering the UK, didn't ask how long I was staying or anything. Still seems a bit off when you were traveling with OH and LO was with both of you though!
The only time I got questioned was when I travelled from Southampton to Manchester, airport police stopped me and checked Tilly's passport for non removal orders etc (not sure if that was cos of our different nationality passports or just a check they were doing)

Yeah, we'll be getting him a UK one before we have to travel next :roll: Such overkill though!

https://www.londonelegance.com/transpondia/dual-nationals/entering-uk-dual-national

Have a read of that. I came across it and thought of this thread!

I'm a dual citizen and I was told it's illegal to use one passport to leave the country and another to get in... It could be used like using two movie tickets to sneak all of your friends into the theatre.

I'm a dual citizen and I was told it's illegal to use one passport to leave the country and another to get in... It could be used like using two movie tickets to sneak all of your friends into the theatre.

This is what I thought! :wacko: I don't get it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->