dumb ovulation question

JulianasMommy

Two awesome kiddos! :)
Reaction score
Do you ovulate while your opk is positive or when it turns negative???

An opk turns positive when your LH (luteinising hormone) surge is detected - my understanding is that this surge is usually detected an average of 48 hours before you actually ovulate. So I think by the time you actually ovulate, the opk would be negative... but you wouldn't want to wait until this point in case you miss the egg (surge could actually be detected 24-72 hrs prior so hard to judge..). Hope this helps?!

OK...this is what I've always thought. So if I may, another (maybe dumb) question: If my LH surge is detected AFTER sex is it still possible to conceive?

Reason I'm asking is tomorrow will be our last chance this month because he's going on a trip...and I've yet to get a positive opk, but according to the calendar I should be in my fertile period now. So if I hit my surge after he leaves...provided we have sex tomorrow...could I still conceive?

i think maybe yes mercedes....

i have been told that sperm can leave for up to a week so for argument sake lets say you ovulate on the 14th may then you can have 7 aprox 7 days before that and could still conceive...... is that what you are askiing or have i completel missed he point lol..... xxx

@mummymarsh: Yes! That's exactly what I meant! Thank you...I am going to try to relax and not worry now. What will be will be! :dust:

just read my message back and see it made no sense so glad you managed to get what i was on about lol....

my friend is midwife and she told me thats similar to the theory of how to concieve girl or boy... girl sperm can live longer than boy sperm, so if you want a girl you can have ex further away to ovulation day, but boy sperm dont last as long so if u want a boy you need to have sex s close to ovulation day.. something like that anyway
xxxx

well i was aking because my opk turned negative yesterday after being positive the day before Easter and on Easter... We dtd both of those days and planned on it yesterday when it turned negative but i PASSED OUT... it was a long day. Oh well I'm not having much hope for this cycle anyway.

From what I understand- it's after the surge- so to me- you would most likely have O'd Sunday night or Monday... and with that being said- it takes about 6 hours before YOU can tell .. like when you see the negative- it was truly negative in your body about 6 hours prior. I would say BD today if you can just to cover your bases.. but I think you're good.. especially with sperm living up to 5 days! :thumbup:

Thanks ladies we shall see.... Holly tomorrow is Wednesday!!! :happydance: How are yur opk's looking?

Hi ladies!!

When i conceived back in November we only had sex once the whole cycle and it was about 4-5 days before i ovulated so i would say YES to you Mercedes that as long as you DTD as much as possible before he goes you'll have it covered!!!

JulianasMommy you ovulate after a positive OPK, it says on the packets anything between 12-28 hours after the positive OPK!!

x x

Thank you ladies for your comments!! The TWW has begun for me...already! :winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->