Dummies?! What do all you mummies think?!

LaDY

Mummy Of Two xx
Reaction score
Hey mummies...i am currently breastfeeding and asked my midwife if i can use a dummie at night time to settle my little one...they told me that it is not a good idea until breastfeeding is established...what do you think...do you ladies use a dummy?x

I think they suggest that to avoid baby having nipple confusion.

The sucking and latching in breastfeeding is different than that when a baby is sucking on a dummie. Therefore, I can see why at a newborn stage that nipple confusion can occur.

I can see why, but i do know a couple of people that have breast feed and their baby has used a dummy and it stops them wanting to suck all the time.

i breastfed callum and used a dummy, didnt have any problems, but can understand why they would suggest that.

my baby has one ad i breast feed and no problems :baby:

Hey mummies...i am currently breastfeeding and asked my midwife if i can use a dummie at night time to settle my little one...they told me that it is not a good idea until breastfeeding is established...what do you think...do you ladies use a dummy?x

The idea here is to establish breastfeeding first and ensure that baby is latching on and is successfully able to suck properly. Once breastfeeding is established, than the dummie can be introduced. I can understand why your midwife would suggest that.

Established breastfeeding can take anywhere from a day to a few weeks.

Well I bottle feed..so dont know what effect it would have. Anyhow, I read a study that said if a baby has a dummy up until 6 months it lowers the chance of SIDS. Haven't a scooby the effects with breastfeeding though x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->