Dummys and breastfeeding

DueMarch2nd

mummy to a little lamb
Reaction score
Is it advisable to let baby suck on a dummy if you are breastfeeding. What about nipple confusion? I plan on being like my sister and mother and only having the dummy around for a short while but I got to thinking whether or not breastfed babies use them? :baby: Any help?

At my antenatal class the lady running it said that to avoid nipple confusion to not introduce a dummy until breastfeeding is well-established. Roughly 3-4 weeks she said. Then of course it depends on your views towards dummies in general, some people don't want their baby to have one at all. I'm only having Egglet have one when he goes to sleep, or at least that's what I'm hoping anyway, you never know. xx

Yeah I am the same, I just want it for sleeping.

My maternity notes have BFing info in them. They say not to introduce a bottle or dummy as it can cause confusion for baby, but if you do have to introduce them then you should wait until feeding is established xx

Hi there
During my BF classes, was told not to introduce one until at least 6 months or so (I think thats what she said)... basically, to improve your chances of continuous BF, then try to avoid them.... as long as you can :)
Purple

My friend is breast feeding and her son uses a soother, her nurse at the breast feeding clinic advised her to because her son was using her nipple as one... and was on there for 2 hours etc... If you are going to buy one for bubs I would get the ones made for breast feeding. Nipple confusion can happen at any stage as well but the first few weeks they don't recommend using bottles until baby and mom are both used to breast feeding :) Her son has had a soother since early on, around 1-2 weeks old and is doing great!

Its in the NHS manual thingy to wait a few weeks before using them but the ONLY reason I am using them is because it is supposed to reduce the risk of sids so I don't really feel comfortable waiting to use them. My friends little boy was given one right away and he guzzles like you wouldn't believe :rofl:

Thanks girls you have given me loads to think about. :) As if we pregnant ladies (especially 3rd tri) dont have enough on our minds :dohh: :haha:

Hi - My LO has a dummy - I gave it to him from 4 weeks because he was using me as as comfort for literally hours on end (not fun!!). There has been no nipple confusion and he has his dummy for sleep and if he is being fussy in the eves and wanting to suckle on me when he is not hungry.

We use the Avent orthodontic ones

We had to start using a dummy with Emma at 2 weeks. She has been exclusively bf for the last 26 weeks with no nipple confusion! She wanted to suck constantly and I could not keep going with the amount of hours she used me as a dummy. TBH that would have been enough for me to stop feeding. Emma has never had any confusion. I know that all babies are different but don't be put off using a dummy if you really need to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->