Dying hair

Frooty

Reaction score
I dyed my hair black a few months ago but getting bored of it now and wanna go lighter. How do i go about that? I dunno what will suit me im quite pale blue eyes

Oooh it can be a long process depending on what you want the end result to be! I dyed my hair black years ago and hated it, so i bought that colour b4 stuff that strips the dye out, it went kinda patchy and i managed to cover it with a dark brown. If you want to go lighter than that bleach is a better option, but most people will suggest going to the hairdressers to do that. xxx

Theres a product called decolour stripper that looks good to try but dunno lol

I really don't know hun I would be too scared to try it at home but maybe others have a better plan :flower:

I got rid of my black hair a couple of weeks ago. I risked using a colour stripper I got from Home Bargains of all places. It turned out ok, the top was obviously lighter than the ends as they had been dyed more. I dyed over it with chesnut brown and it wasn't perfect but passable. I was planning a haircut for shortly after anyway so got the darker ends but out. I already knew my hair could stand rough treatment otherwise I wouldn't have risked it.

I've never bleached or stripped my hair before so my hair should be ok with it. What colour was your hair after u used the stripper kiddo?

I always go back to black, so I'm constantly stripping the stuff. I think I've done it so much now that my hair gets immune :rofl:

Anyways, i normally start with a stripper like Color B4 or theres another in B&M home bargains stores thats similar and gets good ratings. That'll help start the process and bring it down a few shades without hefty damage to your hair. Get the Extra Strength stuff, though.

Once you've seen the results, you can decide if its light enough or not. if it's not, then I'd venture with a low strength bleach.

I'd say use bleach as a last resort, and dont use it more than once!

stripping hair is not an easy process and best done by a hairdresser. a model night would be perfect and much cheaper than full price plus you Will get the result you want... if you are gonna diy then choose what colour you want end result to be. all colours depending on how light/dark have different undercoats and the colour stripper is then used to get the right undercoat for your chosen colour. i would avoid breaching the lot as it would need to be left on quite a while and could really damage your hair...
i'm wanting to go lighter again as am bored so have a friend doing highlights for me. they Will be bleach but highlights won't damage hair same as a full head of colour. could be another option for you?

I wanna be a light brown i think. I thought colour b4 was just a colour remover not stripper? Im naturally a dark brown but my hair was dyed cherry black before black.

I mean its completely dependant on what you've had before, and for how long, and how many times you've ever dyed it, so its anyones guess how it will come out. But I would still day use the remover first before thinking about bleach.

Sorry I should say stripping hair colour is a different process that involves a different product only used in salons, and its a slow process ( i remember having to strip black in the salon and it took a whole day, sore arms, and a big bill at the end!)

Can get colour stripper in boots its called decolour

Can get colour stripper in boots its called decolour

Its IS colour b4 - Scott Cornwall has rebranded his old range - the "stripper" is the extra strength version, kinda the wrong wording really

that would be fine... or if you had a hairdresser wholesaler near to you they sell all professional products... if you use stripper you need to get hair to an orange undercoat (Will look ginger) once you get to this stage you would want to use a light brown or could use dark blonde that has got blue ash in it... ( any colour that is described as being ash if buying off shelf)
if you have a build up of colour on hair you may find you need to use the stripper twice to get desired undercoat ...

I've never bleached or stripped my hair before so my hair should be ok with it. What colour was your hair after u used the stripper kiddo?

It went light brown at the top and dark brown at the ends. There was a reddish tint all through it. It was almost stripy and you could see exactly which parts had been dyed most often.

I definitely needed to dye it again soon after stripping, unless you've stuck to the same colour forever and only dyed the roots each time.

The one I used took an hour to work and STUNK! :sick:

I would go to the salon but their prices are ridiculous.

I wouldnt either and i was a hairdresser :rofl:

Honestly try the colourb4/decolour first, its the easiest method to start with.

Then you can either a)try another application or b)low volume bleach

If you decide decolour/colourb4 has lightened it enough for you, use a temporary colour for about a week because if you put a permanent/semi in it it can go back really dark.

Actual proper stripper is available in Sallys but it IS expensive and its not a job you can do yourself evenly, its definatly one for professionals and even i wouldnt do it alone. And I'll try anything :haha:

Head and shoulders is really good for fading out dark colours.

ive been using head and shoulders and baby shampoo to lighten the black i put on before my :BFP: as my hair in pregnancy never takes a colour properly and my roots were coming in and its not too bad, i seem to have managed to get it to a very dark brown, and my roots are a medium/dark brown,

I think bleach is bleach really but you might want to go over to a wholesaler for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->