Early Announcers?

SCgirl

Carrying #3
Reaction score
I have my 8w scan tomorrow. I'm scared to death about it, but if things are going well (which could be a very big if), we hit another issue: do we go ahead and announce on fb (we have huge families and there's no way to reach everyone personally), or do we wait until the traditional end of the first trimester?

I know about all the things that can happen. I've heard all of the stories about losses after heartbeats- problem is, as far as I'm concerned, there's no "safe time".

We've already had 3 early losses. I didn't announce when I was pregnant with any of them, but was very public (yes, even fb) about struggling with the miscarriages (it really helped me- so many women contacted me and let me know that they had experienced similar things and I got thanked by many for being open about it since it's so common and still considered "taboo"). During our 2nd pregnancy, we decided if things went well for us, we'd announce after our 8-10 week scan, but we never made it that far...

There were also 3 people I know on social media who announced within a week that they were expecting, ranging from 7.5-8.5 weeks, so I guess it's not completely uncommon now.

I guess what I want to know is this- are we completely insane if we share the news this early and cause people to cringe? Or do you think people would be willing to celebrate this life with us, whether it works out or not?

How far were you when you announced?

(Hopefully this is all I'll be worried about tomorrow evening!)

I was 8 weeks 4 days when we put it on Facebook but all of the important people in our life knew from 5 weeks.
I look at it as you do that there really isn't a safe time to tell... So if it feels right to you like it did us then I say go for it. I wanted the support if something did go wrong so I didn't mind telling... Plus I couldn't keep it in lol

Good luck with this baby :)

with my first i told family at 4weeks. the day we found out. the gma's to be blabbed to EVERYONE. so when i announced publically at 12 weeks it was no surprise to anyone. Then with my 2nd i held off on telling EVERYONE till 12 weeks. but I have had no previous losses, very healthy pregnancies and babies. I am assuming i'll get an 8 week scan as i didn't get a post partum AF and they will want to date. As long as there is a healthy fetus, we will be announcing then.

Ive announced both my pregnancies publicly (family and facebook) within days of my BFP. I refused to spend my time worrying about what could happen. Now I completely understand why some people wait but for us, announcing right away was the right way to go :) Good luck and a happy and healthy 9 months to you!

I announced at about 6 weeks with both DS and this LO. Of course family is first, then I announce on facebook. I am not very good at keeping things quiet, and I know that if anything did, God forbid, happen, I know that I would have an amazing support group.

I admit I have an acquaintance that recently announced at 4 weeks on FB and I cringed. But, I think 8 weeks is very normal and reasonable. My first I announced to family right away and to everybody else at 10 weeks. My second we were going to announce once we saw a heartbeat at 7 weeks but there wasn't one :(
I hope you have a fantastic pregnancy! Congratulations!

I think its completely up to you. With my 1st 4, it was slightly different, but all right around 8 wks. With my pg that ended in mmc in jan, we had told family at 8 wks too. I always waited til at least 12 wks to tell "others". I'm currently 8+4 and only myself and DH knows. I think I'm still a bit gun shy. I have my 1st appt on Monday, hoping they'll do an u/s. I'll decide then if we are going to wait a bit longer to tell.

I will announce to family if everything goes well at our 6week scan then Facebook at 12 weeks! I have had too many losses to think this one will work out :-(
Each to their own though :)

That sounds similar to what happened to us. We didn't tell anyone with our first, and had a MMC at 8 weeks. Then we planned on telling people with our second at 6 weeks after the HB, but didn't make it there.
With this pregnancy, I told my Mom at 5 weeks, a good friend at 6, due to spotting, my in laws at 7 weeks (we wanted to earlier but couldn't in person) and I told friends at work at 8.
We told our siblings at 12 weeks, and I also told my boss then.
I am SO glad I decided on telling early, especially because of the losses, people encouraged me, made me feel much more positive, and I felt I wasn't alone.
These are people I would have told anyway if something bad were to happen, and I'd rather give them happy news first.
I don't understand how people could say something regarding "keeping" this baby this time around. That is NOT what anyone after loss needs to hear, I hope you get a lot of positivity from the people you tell early on, that's so important <3

I think that's a personal decision and everyone feels different. We didn't announce on FB till 20 week scan and will do the same this time. Will tell our family and close friends after 12 week scan xx

My mum and mother in law both know but we won't be saying anything to other family until I have my 8 week scan....as for facebook I will wait until after my 12 week scan xx

We told immediate family at 5 weeks (our kids and mothers). Everyone else will have to wait til 8-10 weeks. We miscarry often, but our faith is that regardless of length of time, life starts at conception, so we celebrate all children from the time we conceive.

Ive announced both my pregnancies publicly (family and facebook) within days of my BFP. I refused to spend my time worrying about what could happen. Now I completely understand why some people wait but for us, announcing right away was the right way to go :) Good luck and a happy and healthy 9 months to you!

This ^^^^^

I told myfamily as soon as we got the BFP, but waited a week to tell DH's family and announced it on FB the same day we told them. Otherwise they would have announced it for us being that is what happened with DS and someone even announced that he was a BOY before I could on FB which infuriated me to the point I tell them then announce immediately.

I think either way, it's all a personal choice and if something were to happen, I have tons of support.....on and off facebook (who are all VERY personal close family/friends).

Dee

Thanks so much ladies! Got around 2 hours until we find out how things are going in there (I feel so sick, I'm going to be mad if things aren't! Haha). If things look good, we may go for it!

I told immediately after my bfp. I've had three losses and wanted to fully enjoy this pregnancy for however long I had it, and share in that joy with family and friends.

We told family and close friends at 5 weeks, I had to tell work at 7 weeks due to heavy lifting and dizziness. Oh hasn't told his work yet and tbh we probably won't do a big Facebook announcement as the people we want to tell have/will be told in person xxx

With my first, we announced within the first two weeks of finding out. I think I was around 6 or 7 weeks along. I had SO many symptoms and was so sick with him, we weren't really able to keep it a secret if we had wanted to.

Now I have just found out I am pregnant with #2, though I haven't had Dr. confirmation yet. I should be about 5 weeks or so along. I haven't even told my hubby yet. I was planning to wait for Father's Day... but it's going to be hard. I think I might go ahead and tell him, so that way I can schedule some doctor's appointments. It's one thing to keep the secret from friends and family, and another to keep it from your spouse. I think once we have doctor confirmation, we will likely post on FB then.

I think hubby would kill me if I kept it from him for more than a day or two! Last time I did wait 2 days to confirm doubling betas. He is just as excited or even more so than I am about having another. I'm hoping to have a bfp to share with him very soon!

I also never did a FB announcement. I figured friends I tell in person and acquaintances can just find out through the grapevine whenever.

we had a great scan- measured 8w1...

and let the news fly!

(here's to hoping we get to take this baby home in January!)

Great news! Congratulations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->