Early scan booked for tomorrow, but...

jenmcn1

Expecting baby #4:)
Reaction score
I'm having an early ultrasound tomorrow due to my light spotting. I've had an early ultrasound with my first pregnancy but it's been a while. I was on Google, and a lot of women were talking about how early u/s's cause miscarriage?!!
I'll be honest, it's freaking me out and making me rethink it all!!!
Maybe I should just wait a few weeks till they can do the ultrasound externally instead of the transvaginal one. I'm still super early they won't be able to see much anyways.
Have you ladies heard of this? I'm so worried

I agree with you I'd wait until at least 6+5. It's going to cause more stress than anything. I was offered a very early scan with this one bc I'm high risk and I refused until almost 8 weeks ... It's worth the wait xx

I agree with you I'd wait until at least 6+5. It's going to cause more stress than anything. I was offered a very early scan with this one bc I'm high risk and I refused until almost 8 weeks ... It's worth the wait xx

Thank you. Yes I think I will wait just to be safe.

My sonographer recommended waiting too. She has battled with infertility and miscarriages for over 6 years. We were both 12 weeks pregnant when I went for my scan and she told me she miscarried at 10 weeks this time. But she is with the machines every day. :cry:

The transvaginal ones can cause spotting.

To be honest looking at your tracker you are just over 5 weeks. If it was me, I would personally wait. I don't wish to sound negative but if anything was going to go wrong it would be impossible to stop it anyway so early. And there may not be anything to see yet
If it was me I would wait till at least 6.5 weeks, or even 7- that way it's likely they'll do an abdominal plus you'd see a heartbeat

I had my first scan at 7+4, and at the time he measured 4 days behind. I had spotting and cramping at 5+4 and it was a scary time. I bled through on and off until 11 weeks
I'm now 22+4 and little man is doing great so far

If I had it my way I would have waited on my scans. I never saw anything until 5+5 and heartbeat later on...it's just stressful. I'd wait til 8 weeks. Baby will have heartbeat and you'll be able to see it=)

Thank you ladies, you just confirmed what my gut instinct has been telling me. Thank you so so much for your input.
I'm keeping hope for a good outcome.

I would for sure opt out of a vaginal ultrasound. I think you should go with your gut. They wanted to do one on me and I refused. Wait a fee weeks until your further along.

I also have an early scan that I'm worried about. I will only be 4+5 but I feel I have to get it done because I think my doctor suspects an ectopic due to my bleeding and my Hcg levels not quite doubling this last blood draw. I had a vaginal ultrasound with my daughter at 7+3 due to spotting and that pregnancy went well.

Hi!

So I'm not trying to alter your decision, it sounds like that's what you're more comfortable with anyway, so i say go with that. I just thought I'd put this here in case anyone passing by sees it.

My office is VERY VERY conservative. They actually put EVERYONE on pelvic rest (no sex, no orgasms), no heavy lifting, even if you had already been doing an exercise routine, they suggest you stop it for now. Other than walking they don't want me doing anything like that. Suffice it to say they're REALLY careful. lol.

But we do scans every week from when the HCG numbers are over 2000. I talked to them about the "early scan miscarriage concern" and they said that an early transvaginal ultrasound is 100 percent safe once the HCG numbers are over 2000 because at that point, it means the little ball of cells has embedded enough to not be disturbed.

Obviously thingy doesn't go past your cervix or get to your uterus or anything anyway. But they did agree that there can theoretically be some small concern if the numbers weren't at 2000 yet, because it can still be not completely attached. After that, there is no chance of it causing a miscarriage.

Yesterday at 5 weeks, I was 3821. I know everyone's HCG numbers are TOTALLY different, some people aren't over 2000 at this point.

Again, I'm not implying you're wrong to wait. At all. I agree that there probably wouldn't be anything you could do if there was a problem anyway!! I just wanted to put this here for others who may be passing by.

Hi!

So I'm not trying to alter your decision, it sounds like that's what you're more comfortable with anyway, so i say go with that. I just thought I'd put this here in case anyone passing by sees it.

My office is VERY VERY conservative. They actually put EVERYONE on pelvic rest (no sex, no orgasms), no heavy lifting, even if you had already been doing an exercise routine, they suggest you stop it for now. Other than walking they don't want me doing anything like that. Suffice it to say they're REALLY careful. lol.

But we do scans every week from when the HCG numbers are over 2000. I talked to them about the "early scan miscarriage concern" and they said that an early transvaginal ultrasound is 100 percent safe once the HCG numbers are over 2000 because at that point, it means the little ball of cells has embedded enough to not be disturbed.

Obviously thingy doesn't go past your cervix or get to your uterus or anything anyway. But they did agree that there can theoretically be some small concern if the numbers weren't at 2000 yet, because it can still be not completely attached. After that, there is no chance of it causing a miscarriage.

Yesterday at 5 weeks, I was 3821. I know everyone's HCG numbers are TOTALLY different, some people aren't over 2000 at this point.

Again, I'm not implying you're wrong to wait. At all. I agree that there probably wouldn't be anything you could do if there was a problem anyway!! I just wanted to put this here for others who may be passing by.

Thank you so much for this information! I really really appreciate it!! Wow I honestly had NO clue that early scans can potentially cause miscarriage!! I came across something last night on google that talked about this! Wow! I had an early u/s with my first baby at 5w6d and his heartbeat was soooo tiny that I had to hold my breath for the tech to be able to detect it on the screen. So crazy. In thankful that my oldest is now a healthy very active 6 yr old boy!!!

I will be waiting until I'm further along for an u/s...not going to handle it. Like you said everyone hcg levels are different. Just not worth doing this yet...as I have no clue what my levels are at right now.

My OB who is not conservative at all he's super easy going got pissed at me when I asked what the HB was. He said it's too small to point a wand at it and send so many sono waves straight at the embryo. He showed me the HB clearly flickering away but refused to zoom in to measure how fast. This was at 7+1...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->