Early scan measuring 8 days behind

Loup89

Reaction score
At 5w1day I had hcg level of 680 and nothing seen on scan. At 5weeks5 days they didn't check hcg but saw gestational sac and probable yolk sac (abdominal scan)
I've now had a scan today at 7 weeks and saw fetal pole and what she said was a good strong heartbeat! Fetal pole measured 3.6mm so she said I was actually only 5w6days (abdominal scan) but I'm quite sure on dates. I had ovulation spotting and pain on 16th oct and ewcm 17th/18th oct. only dtd with husband on 16th and 17th anyway so I feel really worried.

I'm quite surprised that they saw a heartbeat with such a small baby with an abdominal scan is there any chance they've measured wrong? I don't know how accurate they are.

Abdominal scans are not as accurate as transvaginal!!! When is your next scan? Unfortunately for me when baby measured behind it turned out bad news, but that was with accurate measuring during a vaginal scan. I have my fingers crossed for you!! Good luck and keep us updated!!!

I had a transabdominal scan at 6 weeks and the baby was only 3mm but HB was there.. I agree transvaginal scan is more accurate. However because I had a full bladder and saw a hb they pretty much refused to give me a transvaginal. I think baby was probably a little bigger than they could see. Good luck! x

Thanks ladies,

Pinkpassion- sorry about your loss, did you see a heartbeat when you were measuring behind? I know abdominal isn't as accurate but wasn't sure how much it varies, they said they wouldn't do vaginal because they saw heartbeat. Hoping to book next scan in for a week Friday but not confirmed yet.

Gizzyy- thanks, I wouldn't be so worried but I should be 7 weeks did you measure spot on to what you thought?

Yes I knew exactly when I ovulated, and when I was 7+1 went in for ultrasound and measured 6+3 with strong heartbeat of 160's.. I just knew there was no way baby should measure that far behind.. Dr tried to reassure me and say my dates had to be off but I knew when I ovulated for a fact!! And sure enough two weeks later at the follow up baby had grown but no heartbeat, then we rechecked the next week one more time before the d&c... very heartbreaking time... HOWEVER, I will say during that time and since I have seen so many of these posts and so many of them turn out perfectly fine!!! That just unfortunately wasn't my experience!!! I do wish you all the luck hun!!

I couldn't even be dated because it was so small so on my paperwork it said less than 6 wks but because they saw a hb they didn't seem too concerned. x

Honey sorry your scan wasn't totally straightforward. I had a scan at 8 weeks and baby measured 6+4 with a heartbeat but she didn't measure the rate. She said it was fine, I asked my mw the next day and she said it was fine too and I looked on here and found so many stories of babies measuring out and being fine. I then went for my 12 wk scan and baby had no heartbeat and measured 8+6.

As I said, so many women on here had the sane and all was fine but I really wish I'd pushed for a scan at 10 weeks and followed my instincts. It wouldn't have changed anything but it would have speeded things up for me and I wouldn't have gone in for the 12 wk not knowing what was going on.

Hopefully your story will be one of the many more that turn out great but push for another scan xx

My scan on 7+4 they could see the baby and the heartbeat abdominally but didn't measure them and did an internal to get the actual measurements. I think there's a much higher margin for error with an early abdominal scan.

This was my scan at 6+0 as you can see it's very small! She had to put an arrow lol. I hope your baby catches up as I know it can be very worrying :( :hugs:

Attachments

• photo (13).jpg
    photo (13).jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 7
I hope it all turns out well, I agree about the early abdominal scans not being so accurate measurment wise, my measurments had jumped 5 days forward from the early one to my '12 week' one :flower:

First scan I had I was measuring a week behind 6 weeks, then 5 days behind 9 weeks, and then only 3 days at my 12 week scan. At the 14 weeks she stayed 3 days behind to my dates. Her latest scan she's still 3 days behind my dates, but that's fine. I'm sure of my dates, I temped only dtd twice, but on the same day near ovulation and now she's kicking me at 23 weeks. What we know about ovulation and what we should do and how it should work, doesn't always happen like that. Its a great mystery in life so don't worry to much about it and think positive.

I mentioned in a post yesterday that I had an abdominal u/s on Monday that measured me at 7 weeks 5 days and then when she went and did a transvaginal u/s, the measurements jumped to 8 weeks and 4 days (which is bang on with my dates). This was striking to me, that there is such variation based on the technique, angle and access.

I don't agree that measuring behind necessarily means a problem. I think in early days this stuff is very tricky.

I am one with a bad ending too. I got a urine positive at home on May 24 and had a scan end of June. The date they were giving me at US was basically not possible for me to have had + when I did. Also days we had sex could NOT equal what they said. We did not have sex for while after the + as I had MS and sex was last thing I wanted.

I will add though you do see many stories of good endings.

I had a tech who was very experienced so did not think she mis measured but one thing I asked when she told me I was so far off was is it possible that my weight is making it hard to get true size and she said no.

We heard HB which was going a bit fast for where they put me based o the average HB/age. Then again I am sure babies have been born fine and were not in the right group HB wise.

Thank you all so much, I'm tryin to relax and not think too much. It was a trainee doing the scan with someone else observing and advising it first she said something about doing the scan the wrong way round which didn't fill me with confidence!
I will let you all know how I get on, I might try and get an internal scan, it's the not knowing that really gets to me.

Hi,

Ive just had a scan today. Im should be 8 weeks by my LMP but I know I ovulated late so I calculated I would be 7+4 ish.
I was told I am 6+4 ish so that has worried me too. However the mw was not worried at all and said I need to relax and not worry xxx

My first scan I went in sure of my dates I only dtd one day that month and my baby was measuring 8 days behind as well, there was a strong heart beat and everything was were it should have been I went in thinking I was almost 8 weeks and I was actually at 6 weeks 4 days. I am now 33 weeks 5 days so don't worry too much hun.

I posted on this in another thread but here's some more reassurance. Some babies just measure smaller too. With both DS and DD, I measured a week behind what my lmp put me at and had my kids at full term. My sis has measured a week (or more) smaller with EVERY ONE of her pregnancies and has gone to term with all of them. And I agree with a previous poster in that the skill of the technician, angle of the exam, and where the baby implanted can all affect the outcome. I've had more than one doctor say they don't go by those early measurements until at least 7 weeks and they prefer to wait longer. I know it's scary but hang in there.

Also worth noting that I have some health issues that can interfere with a pregnancy/carrying to viability in cases

I had issues early on with spotting turned bleeding pretty early on-started in early June. Small by itself is not an issue.

When I went for my first scan I was certain I was in the middle of the 10th week but I measured almost a week behind what I thought. I was certain of my dates -- I knew when I ovulated, I knew the days I DTD, I knew the days I had implantation bleeding. The baby had a strong heartbeat and everything was fine though. It really bugged me at first. Eventually, I just figured that the embryo didn't fully implant to the point where the baby starts developing more when I thought it had.

I wish you the best. :hugs:

Thank you all :) I feel much better today. I had another scan booked for this morning at a different hospital I rang to tell them I had one two days ago but they wanted me to come in anyway because I said some of my symptoms had gone. I'm now measuring 6w2days so 7 days behind but baby has grown 2.6mm and heartbeat still there :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->