Early scan, yolk sac & no baby seen.

friskyfish

Mummy of 2 beautifu boy's
Reaction score
Hi Girls,

I don’t know what to think or do at the minute, I’m so confused & scared. I went for my first scan, early scan today. I have an early scan as I am a type 1 diabetic.

According to my LMP, I will be 8 weeks tomorrow. At the scan, the sonographer kept asking if I could be earlier than the 8 weeks as the yolk sac was measuring smaller? I told her that I am 100% certain of the first day of my last period. She then said she couldn’t see anything in the sac :( I had to have a vaginal scan after, which again showed nothing.

They then made my husband & I wait in a private room to wait for the midwife. The midwife said that the sac was only measuring at 5 weeks, which would be too early to see any baby or heartbeat, but how can the dates be 3 weeks out? She said the baby could have also stopped growing at 5 weeks & that we can’t be sure until a repeat scan in 10 days. I was just crying & shaking as we are so overjoyed to be pregnant & I feel like it’s just been taken away from me.

I’m so confused, I now have to wait 10 days to be told if we have lost our baby or not. My husband keeps telling me to be positive but it just feels bad & the dates don’t add up.

My last period began on the 28th November, no idea when I ovulated. My periods come every 29-31 days. I got my bfp on Boxing Day.

Has anyone been in this situation? Can anyone offer any advice? I feel so down & this will be the longest 10days of my life. I’d like to stay positive but I just have this gut feeling it’s meant to be :(

Sorry for the long post. Xx

Sorry no helpful advice to give, just wanted to say I am keeping everything crossed for you x

So sorry that is so hard to hear, I wish you the best of luck with your next scan!

I don’t have any advice I’m afraid but with my second pregnancy, we went for our 12 week scan at which point we should have been 12+2, turns out at that point we were only 8+4 so it’s entirely possible to have your dates all jumbled up. Went back exactly 4 weeks later and sure enough we were then 12+4.

Just wanted to give you some reassurance that it can happen. I hope everything turns out to be okay for you :hugs:

I don’t have any advice I’m afraid but with my second pregnancy, we went for our 12 week scan at which point we should have been 12+2, turns out at that point we were only 8+4 so it’s entirely possible to have your dates all jumbled up. Went back exactly 4 weeks later and sure enough we were then 12+4.

Just wanted to give you some reassurance that it can happen. I hope everything turns out to be okay for you :hugs:

Awwh thank you for sharing your positive story, that’s great to hear! I’m just clinging onto any hope that all will be ok. It’s going to be a very long 10 days xx

Can you ask for betas to see if they're still rising?

Can you ask for betas to see if they're still rising?

Hi, they didn’t offer me any tests of any sort. I didn’t think to ask at the time, I text the midwife when I got home & ask to be tested but she’s not got back to me :(

She’s meant to be ringing me today with the scan appointment, so I will ask her then. I don’t even feel like going in work, but I guess it will take my mind off it a bit xx

My dates were off with my DD. They thought I was 8 weeks but I was only 4 weeks. When I went for my first scan, thinking I was 13 weeks, it showed my girl at 9 weeks. It can happen. My daughter is 10 now. All the best for your next scan.

If you got your bfp on boxing day you would be at least 7 weeks. I don't think it's possible to be 5 weeks going by your dates :( but scans can be wrong that early xx

If you got your bfp on boxing day you would be at least 7 weeks. I don't think it's possible to be 5 weeks going by your dates :( but scans can be wrong that early xx

I know, the dates don’t add up :(

I’m not expecting a good ending to this xx

My dates were off with my DD. They thought I was 8 weeks but I was only 4 weeks. When I went for my first scan, thinking I was 13 weeks, it showed my girl at 9 weeks. It can happen. My daughter is 10 now. All the best for your next scan.

Thank you so much xx

So I spoke to my midwife & the scan is booked in for first thing next Tuesday morning. I asked her about what they saw & she said they saw the pregnancy sac with a yolk sac but no sign of baby. She said the sonographer said the yolk sac was slightly big? So I’m still none the wiser.

She said I may experience cramping & spotting before scan & if I do to go to A&E.

It’s not looking promising. :-(

I'm so sorry hun. I've had 4 losses & the waiting is torture, i remember it so well :( xxx

I'm so sorry hun. I've had 4 losses & the waiting is torture, i remember it so well :( xxx

Thank you x I’m so sorry for you losses. I can’t believe this is actually happening. I also can’t believe how common this is x

I would ask them if your uterus is retroverted and I wouldn't make any rash decisions.

There is a whole online support at a site called misdiagnosed miscarriage with women who they couldn't see the baby until 9 weeks or so because of the position of their uterus.

I would ask them if your uterus is retroverted and I wouldn't make any rash decisions.

There is a whole online support at a site called misdiagnosed miscarriage with women who they couldn't see the baby until 9 weeks or so because of the position of their uterus.

Thank you for your reply xx

I haven’t been told I have a retroverted uterus in my previous pregnancy’s, so I don’t think it’s that :-(

Unless your uterus can move to become retroverted?

I’m finding it so hard to stay positive right now. I’ll find out for sure on Tuesday x

With my youngest there was an embryo without a heartbeat and 2 weeks behind, I was given progesterone, my body began working like a factory (thats how it felt) and at 8 weeks he was 10 weeks along...it was strange. I have heard of slowed development when progesterone is a bit low.
I hope you will see baby during your bext scan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->