Early weaner, now 6 months- what now?

Angel2Fire

Reaction score
I started weaning Chaise at about 15/16 weeks on home-made purees (loads of reasons why but that's not the issue.)

Anyway, he's 6 months now and I'm not really sure what to do. My health visitor said he can have everything we eat now including meat, as well as finger foods! I'm really not keen on that, and he's really not interested in finger foods.

Should I just carry on with what I give him but make it a bit lumpier? I was considering trying fish and mash, but don't really want him to have meat yet and a few other things as he's had some stomach problems.

I'm also interested in how other people have moved on to the next stage from purees? How did your LO respond to it?

Sorry, I have very little knowledge of purees, but no-one else has answered, so I will!

If you don't want to give him what you have, then just carry on with the purees, and maybe just make them a bit lumpier. It's important for them to have lumps so they learn how to chew - this helps speech development and loads of stuff :). Maybe just experiment with some slightly lumpier food and see how it goes? You could try mashing instead of pureeing?

If he has had stomach probs I would leave out the foods that might cause problems 'til 8 months or so before trying.

I think people go gradually from purees to lumpier foods. See how he copes with a lump or two.:)

Hope that helped a bit, I'm sure someone who knows what they're on about will be along soon!

with my first i just gradually made the food lumpier and lumpier untill she was just having what we had mashed up a bit and then not at all, make it a gradual process and it will be fine, she was always very interested in our food though so we didnt really have any probs making the transition x

I would keep offering the finger food when he is in a good mood, not tired, etc. He might be more interested then? I think it's quite important to do finger foods but obviously at his own pace.

I started putting Josh in his highchair at 18 weeks with pasta twirls and stuff and he wasn't interested (he was already being weaned) but the last couple of weeks he's started feeding himself biscotti, today he even fed himself a bit of jam sandwhich. Its just getting them used to it really...

As for the lumpier food Josh has been on purees since 16 weeks and now he's 6 months we've gone on to stage 2 jars. Its only the 2nd day of them today but he was fine with the lumpy bits yesterday.

Hope that helps x

Can I ask why you aren't keen to give him what you eat? It might be something we can help with :) Fears about choking are common, and I know I was worried about my poor diet - luckily sharing with LO has made me eat so much better!

Thanks for the advice :)

Asacia- it's not choking I'm worried about. Chaise has reflux, had gastorentiritis (sp?) when he was 8 weeks and frequently has a dodgy stomach, so I'm worried about giving him anything and everything incase it aggrivates his reflux or his tummy. I know some babies are fine, but Chaise gets an upset stomach from the slightest thing.

I've now put him on the stage 2 jars. He only likes the fruit ones so we mix half fruit with half savoury. He's still not keen on the lumps but he's getting there slowly.

I also put him in his highchair in the afternoon and give him finger foods. He only plays about with them at the minute, but I'm sure he will figure out what they're for at some point! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->