East Sussex politics = no home birth option :(

Cherubim

Reaction score
I've been planning my home birth for some time now, got a birthing pool ready etc..
I actually have a fear of hospitals after a knee operation that went wrong at the age of 14 (I was left alone for hours unable to walk and delerious after the anaesthetic wore off, and during that time I wet myself twice.. It was just a horrid experience). I have spent years trying to get over the anxiety I feel around hospitals, but it's still there, and I don't think that labour is the best time to have a panic attack about it. So, I've been very careful about planning my home birth.
..But aside from that, I believe that home is the best place to be anyway, and I read some time ago that it is always an option in the UK, so I assumed that it was my right.

But now I've read this:
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=102890746417278

And I'm feeling pretty terrible about it. Is anyone else being denied the right to have their baby at home? Is there anyone else in East Sussex who is being effected by this? I'm in Hastings and feeling really :nope: about everything now.

Firstly I'm not surprised you have a fear of hospitals from your past experience, totally understand too (they aren't my favourite of places either).

I'm not exactly sure what to advise to be honest, and it definitely is your right to birth where you want. You have the option of a private midwife if it's something you could afford? I know it's not something you should have to do, but it's an option. Or hire a Doula? they are so supportive (mine is wonderful) and if you did end up having to go into hospital then she would be there throughout the labouring at home and delivery at hospital and just be someone to help you relax and keep your anxieties under control.

By the time you are due, they may have changed the policy, especially if the women shout loud enough about it, just a thought :shrug: I think it's really bad they are saying you won't have a choice about it, because surely you always have a choice. I'm not sure about the legalities of it all.

Sorry I'm not much help, someone else might be able to throw something better in! :flower:

Cherubim, don't panic! Try calling the number posted on the facebook page and have a chat with your midwife. They will be able to talk you through your options xxx

Get writting to your local NHS Trust and the Head of Midwifery. Make a formal complaint. state that birth services are a primary care need as defined in statue under the NHS Act 2006, and it is there for the duty of the secretary of state for health and therefor your local Primary Care Trust (PCT), to provide a birth service. The intention of the department of health is clearly stated in the document "maternity matters" April 2007; that all women be offered the choice of a homebirth. It is your right, don't hirer a independant MW just yet.. you won't get your money back for it from the NHS - but the Law does allow your PCT to make contracts with anyperson where primary health services are concerned S83 of the 2006 NHS Act. Therefore your PCT should be providing you with an independant MW.
Let alone that basic fact that homebirths are totally and unequivically more cost effective and fundermentally cheaper. State all of this in your formal complaint, copy in your CEO of your local trust, and get in contact with your local MP and copy them in too - they should have regular meeting with your NHS Trust anyway.. and it is also there duty to assit you in getting the care you are legally entitled to.

If you are unsure of who your MP is then just type "who is my MP" into google - you should find a House of Commons website, where you can just input your postcode, and your MP's contact details will appear - call them, and ask to speak to their "case worker" about your concerns... follow it up with either an email or letter, and copy your MP with the letter to your Head of Midwifery.

If they don't attend you in labour, you can sue them. if they don't provide an independant MW before hand, because they feel that they can provide a service then get yourself a solicitor (You can contact the Law society and they will be able to provide you with a list of solicitors which are able to help you in your area, and what ones take on legal aid cases), Prior to birth you can apply for judical review... this is where the courts look to see if a governement body (such as the NHS) has acted lawfully towards you. I would also be writting to the Indpendant Parlimentary and Health Service Ombudsman - this is the final stage in exhausting the offical complaints system.

I hope this helps. Start with the letter to your head of midwifery - you need them to confirm if they have indeed offically suspended their homebirth service... then you can take if from there.

Fight for your rights, if you dont do it, who will?? Do this for all of the women who are coming after you.

Beverly at AIMS can be useful, but she can only advise you the same as I have.. and won't be able to hold your NHS trust to account - only you can do this.

Please let me know how you get on??
XxXx

If they don't attend you in labour, you can sue them.

I was also thinking along these lines, but didn't want to say incase I was wrong. Bournefree is fantastic with the legal stuff!! These things shouldn't be a battle, but unfortunately I agree that if no one does then nothing gets done.

Good luck, hope you get some good news from the midwife so you don't have to worry :flower:

I would definitely check with your midwife first before going by what was written on facebook xxx

Get writting to your local NHS Trust and the Head of Midwifery. Make a formal complaint. state that birth services are a primary care need as defined in statue under the NHS Act 2006, and it is there for the duty of the secretary of state for health and therefor your local Primary Care Trust (PCT), to provide a birth service. The intention of the department of health is clearly stated in the document "maternity matters" April 2007; that all women be offered the choice of a homebirth.
XxXx

WOW- thank you so much for this! Having read all your responses I feel less panicky now, and more determined! Bournerfree, I will start taking your advice ASAP and will let you know as soon as I hear anything back..

And I'd like to thank everyone here for their support and advice, it really means a lot to me! (I posted my original comment in the second tri forum first and was advised to accept going to hospital, rather than to fight) xxx :flower:

We're a different beast in here hun.

We know our rights and we'll fight for them not to mention other peoples!

I can't say a great deal more than what's already been said except to add it may not be the fight you think. I thought I would have one hella fight to even try a HB being that I had a EMCS last time for 'failure to progress'.

BUT my MW's are nothing but supportive, helpful and amazing. The OB and hubby not so much LOL but hell i cant have it all.

Speak to your MW and see what she says before feeling like you have an uphill struggle.

Thank you so much as well Cherubim for fighting for your rights!!! I’m so grateful that there are strong women like you.

I am facing some staffing issues in my local area of Bournemouth, and I’m totally saddened after having experienced such an amazing, fulfilling, happy, comfortable, extremely professional, experienced and looked after outcome for my first birth in Hampshire, that I might have services cut short at the very moment in labour when I call for support.. Actually, saddened doesn’t cover it - I’m appalled!

I’m a fighter naturally, and I wish that every women shouldn’t have to fight for their rights for an equal, totally safe, and amazing experience, and many don’t, thankfully. But for those of us that do, we need to support each other and especially for those women who will come after us, and also importantly for the midwives that should be enabled to do the job that they really want to do - they don’t want to see medicalised birth, they want to see women having normal birth.
I have talked to many MW in my area that are equally disheartened with the pseudo-way that maternity services are turning alarmingly towards what America is currently doing - midwives don’t want it, government doesn’t want it, and women certainly don’t want it… so how is it still slowly creeping up on us, with section rates in some areas reaching 30%? Personally I think there is a decreasing confidence that MWs have of their abilities (the numbers of MWs for instance that are assisting in birthing at home, twins, and breach etc are dwindling, as increasingly it is POLICY rather than good evidence based practice that limits their skill set), and also women’s confidence in themselves.

I am so very shocked at some of the responses you have had in the second tri !!!!

I also just feel really sad for these women that are so fearful, and have views entrenched in thinking that hospital “must” be safer, and have little or no faith in themselves, or evolution to be able to birth safely - it is so strange that this is the only place where evidence just goes out of the window!? (you wouldn’t even choose a school for your child based on hearsay) It has only become part of our society for the last 30-40 years that hospital “must be safer” because of our reliance on technology, and the best place for the cutting-edge technology must be hospital? This is the rhetoric that is banded about willy-nilly with no evidence to support it.. As though they think what the majority do do, must be the best thing to do - without question. Little do they realise that their fear, and then acceptance of interventions might lead to a potentially adverse outcome for their birth and their own wellbeing. Which IS evidenced.

These particular women are, for want of a different word, ignorant..(in the true sense of the word, and not in anyway an insult)… and these assertions (certainly in my view) are dangerous, and help to propel their own held beliefs and myths to themselves and other women. A self-fulfilling starting point, when you hear women talk about how if they hadn’t been in hospital, they or their babies would have died, and they are “lucky” that the interventions were there to save them. “thank goodness the doctors were there!“ But they give little thought to perhaps how these interventions… lead into a emergency situation, where the emergent interventions BECAME a necessity. They haven’t even started to look into the choices available to them.

But have to make it clear; I’m not all about homebirth, I would equally defend a women’s right to have an elective c-section if that is what SHE felt is right for her. This isn’t about right or wrong choices, this is about HAVING choice. Choice is what we all want, but it isn’t choice if you can’t make informed decisions because of individual prejudice prohibit particular women from even wanting to question their prevailing assumptions.

Of course, it should go without saying, that I don’t want consultant led obstetric services to not be available to women; I’m saying that on evidence the increase in maternal interventions is NOT increasing beneficial outcomes for both mother and baby and this is documented evidence in both infant and maternal mortality rates, which has been slowly on the rise in the UK, despite our technology.

And it is really important to say that normal birth is the norm (just), but even the government recognises that there is a worrying increase in the medicalisation of birth (Evidence at: https://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200203/cmselect/cmhealth/796/79605.htm), AND let alone this is costing the NHS £760 extra for each hospital birth, and for every 1% increase in c-section costs an extra £5millon pounds. So to talk about a homebirth service in terms of resources is counter-intelligent. Let alone the legal implications of taking away a primary care need.

You have already chosen that you want to have a home birth, so it’s not for me to convince you, that is for sure! ;-) …. Or anyone else for that matter, either way. I would defend you to the end the right to YOUR choice - whatever that may be.

But how sad it is that some of these women are so afraid and blinkered in their views so far, that they would blindly agree to any intervention offered… without a thought as to how it might have a compound effect on their long term heath or the health of their child?

I really had to get that off the chest! It was boiling up while thinking about where our birth services are heading if we don’t act, and we should all be acting now, before our freedoms are restricted. This is an intrinsic part of a healthy and free society and I can't stress enough how important this is to all our future generations.
xXxXx

P.S - Think I might start a thread in the second tri along these lines.. I'm interested to see how deep these prejudices and fear against homebirth go? As your thread responses CB has infuriated me so much! ;-)

oops, I've done it in your thread! Lets see what happens!? ;-)

Get writting to your local NHS Trust and the Head of Midwifery. Make a formal complaint. state that birth services are a primary care need as defined in statue under the NHS Act 2006, and it is there for the duty of the secretary of state for health and therefor your local Primary Care Trust (PCT), to provide a birth service. The intention of the department of health is clearly stated in the document "maternity matters" April 2007; that all women be offered the choice of a homebirth.
XxXx

WOW- thank you so much for this! Having read all your responses I feel less panicky now, and more determined! Bournerfree, I will start taking your advice ASAP and will let you know as soon as I hear anything back..

And I'd like to thank everyone here for their support and advice, it really means a lot to me! (I posted my original comment in the second tri forum first and was advised to accept going to hospital, rather than to fight) xxx :flower:

Im pleased you posted in here hun, I've tried to help to stick up for you in your original thread but seemed to get drowned out by the noise :rofl:

I don't know that much about homebirths anyway, but since I started planning mine I've got a bit emotional about womens rights :rofl:

Good luck with everything I really hope you get the birth you want xxx

Hi,

Just a quick one as running out door so no time to read all posts but I live in East Sussex and am having a home birth - as recommended by my mw

good luck xx

Glad we managed to help here and in the other thread. We all got quite angry on your behalf! Best of luck. :D

I don't know if you've been following your previous thread, but I just wanted to see if you had spoken to your MW to see whether this was the case or not? I'm really hoping you manage to get the kind of birth you wanted hun, and if not fight to the hills!!

I'm popping in here from the second tri thread *please don't hurt me homebirthing ladies*. I'm not here to bring it over, and I can promise I am not against ANY way a woman decides to birth her child....plus I can openly admit to my ignorance on so many levels when it comes to it!!

Thank you ladies.. Thank goodness for all of you! I have posted a rather angry and exasperated reply on that thread in the second tri forum, as it seems to be going on and on.. Gawd, if I wanted this kind of inconsiderate scaremongering in my life, I'd have a TV in my house and I'd read The Sun!
xx

saw bluekat post, are you sure there is no homebirth service? have you actually had it confirmed or just getting it from facebook? as the posts there are over a year old.

Gawd, if I wanted this kind of inconsiderate scaremongering in my life, I'd have a TV in my house and I'd read The Sun!
xx

:lol:

I don't buy the Sun for religious reasons (Liverpool fan), and that has made me howl hysterically, sounds just like my OH, he still wouldn't have a telly but for meeting me!!

Hi - just wanted to say I am East Sussex and under Hastings hospital, but I do recall my midwife asking me at beginning if I wanted a home birth. I said no at the time but am having second thoughts so will speak to her next week.

Hi - just wanted to say I am East Sussex and under Hastings hospital, but I do recall my midwife asking me at beginning if I wanted a home birth. I said no at the time but am having second thoughts so will speak to her next week.

That would be great, thank you. The reason why I am unsure is because my OH and I are relocating to Hastings this week to be closer to family, and my midwife here in Devon may have given me misinformation.. So until I can register with a midwife in Hastings, any info will help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->