"Eat what you eat".....

FEDup1981

Mam of two & two angels
Reaction score
Ive read and been told the above, now thats Kates moving on to stage 2 foods. Shes 7.5m now.

So baby can start to eat what we eat, watching salt/sugar content.

BUT....like what?????!!!

We have a bit of a convenievce diet. We use tinned vegetables, because fresh always get wasted, and i just dont know what she can have.

I know she can have fresh vegetables and shes has them when we do, i gave her lean mince yesterday. And i now know she can have tinned fruit in juice.

But what about tinned veg? beans, spaghetti? Can she have cheese spread, or jam on bread.

PLEASE gve me some ideas, i dont have a clue! (and i dont want to rely on jars all the time x)

After 6 months they can have almost anything but most convenience food has salt in so just check how much is in. I think babies can have 1g of salt a day before 12 months, bread, beans, cheese spread etc. all have salt in so best in small amounts.

My LO has macaroni cheese, chicken curry, spag bol, fish pie, tuna pasta bake, roast dinner, hot pot all made with fresh ingredients. When I cook a meal like these I freeze portions of them so if we have something she can't have I take one out the freezer. I also remove her portion first if Im adding anything like stock cubes, gravy, hot spices

Hope this helps x

I eat exactly the same as my LO, it seems to work for us really well. Breakfast is usually toast, muffins or potato cakes, some and a homemade fruit smoothie (whizzed up fresh fruits and orange juice) sometimes he'll nick a bit of the fruit befor I whizz it up. Once a week we have a cooked breakfast as a family.

Lunch is usually something along the lines of either homemade soup, beans on toast, scrambled egg, boiled egg, dairylea sandwich, spaghetti loops on toast, jacket potato etc. LO usually has a couple of sticks of some kind of raw veggie as well, like tomato, pepper or cucumber. Diluted fruit juice to drink.

Dinner is whatever I feel like cooking, so could be anything really. Staples tend to be pasta, sausage n mash, cottage pie, chilli, salad, curry, roast dinner etc. LO has a bit of everything, I either cut it up into bitesize chunks or give it to him whole to eat himself.

Snacks LO likes are fruit, those little apple rice cakes, raw veg/fruit and milk feeds (still BFing)

xxx

Have you thought about getting frozen veg instead of tinned, its just as nutritious as fresh and very convenient, as you only use what you need.

I second the frozen veg idea, thats what we use.

A lot of tinned foods have salt added so might be too much salt. But apart from salt, honey and whole nuts pretty much anything goes.

Jam is a bit too sugary, I always just put some fruit puree on the bread instead of jam. Cheese spread is fine though check the salt content, some are saltier than others. Remember to always use full fat cheese spreads etc as babies need more fat than adults.

I eat exactly the same as my LO, it seems to work for us really well. Breakfast is usually toast, muffins or potato cakes, some and a homemade fruit smoothie (whizzed up fresh fruits and orange juice) sometimes he'll nick a bit of the fruit befor I whizz it up. Once a week we have a cooked breakfast as a family.

Lunch is usually something along the lines of either homemade soup, beans on toast, scrambled egg, boiled egg, dairylea sandwich, spaghetti loops on toast, jacket potato etc. LO usually has a couple of sticks of some kind of raw veggie as well, like tomato, pepper or cucumber. Diluted fruit juice to drink.

Dinner is whatever I feel like cooking, so could be anything really. Staples tend to be pasta, sausage n mash, cottage pie, chilli, salad, curry, roast dinner etc. LO has a bit of everything, I either cut it up into bitesize chunks or give it to him whole to eat himself.

Snacks LO likes are fruit, those little apple rice cakes, raw veg/fruit and milk feeds (still BFing)

xxx

Thank you!

Your LO is two weeks younger than mine, and i cant believe he eats all that! Kate has only just started to eat lumps, and finger foods. I feel so reserved, i wouldnt have thought i could give her half the stuff youve put.

You woudlnt think ive got a 6yr old, i havent a clue what im doing! :dohh:

Have you thought about getting frozen veg instead of tinned, its just as nutritious as fresh and very convenient, as you only use what you need.

I second the frozen veg idea, thats what we use.

A lot of tinned foods have salt added so might be too much salt. But apart from salt, honey and whole nuts pretty much anything goes.

Jam is a bit too sugary, I always just put some fruit puree on the bread instead of jam. Cheese spread is fine though check the salt content, some are saltier than others. Remember to always use full fat cheese spreads etc as babies need more fat than adults.

Yeah i have some frozen veg in, that i can use. I have a few more ideas now, thanks! x

Check out the Baby Led Weaning cookbook by Gil Rapley. I'm shite at cooking and I've managed some awesome recipes out of there! They are set up for one or two adults and one baby so you're not making separate meals :)

Check out the Baby Led Weaning cookbook by Gil Rapley. I'm shite at cooking and I've managed some awesome recipes out of there! They are set up for one or two adults and one baby so you're not making separate meals :)

^^WSS

I love that book

Hahaha that describes me! Ill have a look for that book now, thanks! xxx

Is it this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-led-W...ous-recipes/dp/0091935288/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0

or this one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-led-Weaning-Helping-Your-Baby/dp/0091923808/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Literally anything, spag Bol, curry, fish fingers, oven chips, cottage pie, fajitas. Home made soups and stews,

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->