Eating Habits :(

jac4315

Married since 4/3/15
Reaction score
So I just found out I was expecting about a week ago. We could not be happier! I have one problem though, and since we weren't quite planning for a little one quite yet, my eating habits weren't under
control :/ I'm 5'7 and 135, so my amount of eating isn't necessarily out of control. It's more of my diet, it consisted of coffee, chips, lunch meat sandwiches, or whatever else sounded good that day. I make homemade supper, but here's my problem:

I've cut out coffee and mainly drinking water and some juice here & there, would like juice suggestions though.
I don't care for hardly any veggies or fruits (most fruits I like if there in smoothies)
Our schedules last week until after Christmas leave us running from 7:15am-11pm (work, remodeling a house, church live animal Christmas play practices)

Anybody have this problem, have suggestions or advice? I've read this is the crucial time to get all your nutrients, and I've tried but feel like I'm failing at this point. I am taking the prenatal regularly.

*Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!*

If you like smoothies and want to get some green in, I make a green smoothie with orange juice, banana, green grapes and a ton of baby spinach. It mostly tastes like orange and banana, and you can work up the amount of spinach as you go. Plus there's nothing to chop so it's really quick and easy.

Also, you hear a lot about getting a variety of veggies etc, but if you're starting from zero, it's more important to just be eating SOMETHING green than to get the whole variety thing going. If you can find one way of preparing one green thing that you like... stick with that and don't worry too much about the variety! I am not a green veggies person, but I drink those smoothies and I also love roasted asparagus with olive oil and rosemary, so I eat that constantly and don't even think about peas or beans or broccoli or other gross stuff like that, ha.

Oh, and my asparagus trick is that if you take an asparagus, grab it by both ends and bend it, it will automatically snap at the point where the stem gets tough! Makes the prep really easy (can you tell I hate chopping?)

Anyway, you just do what you can, good luck and hope this helps!

I would avoid juice-it's full of sugar. Smoothies on the other hand are great! I usually do a green smoothie on the go, which is 1 Cup spinach, 1 banana, 1 cup almond milk, 1 tbsp almond butter, cinnamon and a handful of ice. Sooooo good!!!
If morning sickness hasn't hit you yet, than it likely will in the next week or so, if this is the case for you, keep nuts (almonds, cashews etc) in a ziplock bag or container. Try to eat protein with every little meal.
If you're not eating a lot don't worry! The first trimester is usually this way for most people...myself included. I run a very very busy schedule too with my 3 younger kids, homeschool and church activities etc...but you must make time to eat. Pack a small cooler with you, hummus and veggies, nuts, Lara bars, salads with yummy dressing...chicken etc. Lots of options just need to plan ahead.
Hang in there, and know that this first Tri is the most challenging part. And don't worry about weight gain!! Eat clean foods and you'll be fine!!

If you like smoothies and want to get some green in, I make a green smoothie with orange juice, banana, green grapes and a ton of baby spinach. It mostly tastes like orange and banana, and you can work up the amount of spinach as you go. Plus there's nothing to chop so it's really quick and easy.

Also, you hear a lot about getting a variety of veggies etc, but if you're starting from zero, it's more important to just be eating SOMETHING green than to get the whole variety thing going. If you can find one way of preparing one green thing that you like... stick with that and don't worry too much about the variety! I am not a green veggies person, but I drink those smoothies and I also love roasted asparagus with olive oil and rosemary, so I eat that constantly and don't even think about peas or beans or broccoli or other gross stuff like that, ha.

Oh, and my asparagus trick is that if you take an asparagus, grab it by both ends and bend it, it will automatically snap at the point where the stem gets tough! Makes the prep really easy (can you tell I hate chopping?)

Anyway, you just do what you can, good luck and hope this helps!

Love that green smoothie you mentioned! Will definitely be trying that! :) What orange juice do you use? I've found myself loving orange juice but as she said below, juice can have a lot of sugar :/ I don't struggle with eating sugar until it comes to drinks, coffee mostly (which I've sadly quite drinking lol) Then I find out juice has tons of it :sad2:

I would avoid juice-it's full of sugar. Smoothies on the other hand are great! I usually do a green smoothie on the go, which is 1 Cup spinach, 1 banana, 1 cup almond milk, 1 tbsp almond butter, cinnamon and a handful of ice. Sooooo good!!!
If morning sickness hasn't hit you yet, than it likely will in the next week or so, if this is the case for you, keep nuts (almonds, cashews etc) in a ziplock bag or container. Try to eat protein with every little meal.
If you're not eating a lot don't worry! The first trimester is usually this way for most people...myself included. I run a very very busy schedule too with my 3 younger kids, homeschool and church activities etc...but you must make time to eat. Pack a small cooler with you, hummus and veggies, nuts, Lara bars, salads with yummy dressing...chicken etc. Lots of options just need to plan ahead.
Hang in there, and know that this first Tri is the most challenging part. And don't worry about weight gain!! Eat clean foods and you'll be fine!!

I love the smoothie you suggested as well! I love bananas and like nuts as well, never really thought of those as a snack :)

I appreciate the advice/suggestions from both of you! I tried 2 other forums and could never get any replies, and as my first I'm a little more lost on how to do everything properly. And we are not telling our parents for another 3-4 weeks so I can't go to my mom with every question! :shrug:

Glad to help! I find this community really supportive and I'm sure you will too. :)

For OJ I drink the Tropicana kind with added Calcium and Vitamin D because I don't drink milk. Jen is right that juice is full of sugar, it's kind of a tradeoff for me where it gets me eating the spinach so I figure that's worth it, heh. Everybody's priorities are different though!

Take great care :thumbup:

No problem:) happy to help! From personal experience with my 1st baby, I craved orange juice constantly. Oh my!! And I gained close to 60lbs:( thankfully I lost all the weight and stay healthy and fit now and I'm on my 4th baby, but I learned my lesson with it.
So if you use juice for a smoothie that's awesome, just beware of too much...lol

If you are craving juice, a good way to satisfy the craving without all the sugar is to add plain water or even better tasting, sparkling water to your juice, and cut down the actual juice to as low as you can and still meet your craving. You'll cut your sugar consumption for every ounce of water you add.

If you are craving juice, a good way to satisfy the craving without all the sugar is to add plain water or even better tasting, sparkling water to your juice, and cut down the actual juice to as low as you can and still meet your craving. You'll cut your sugar consumption for every ounce of water you add.

Also a really great option is to just add a wedge of lime or lemon to sparkling water. Sooo good and fresh and no fruit juice needed

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll have to try the sparkling water as well, I don't think I ever actually have. Today and tomorrow are actually going to be decently calm after work so I'll be able to make some smoothies at home.

Question: Can you freeze homemade smoothies? If so, what is the best way?

Thanks again everyone for helping out! Love being on this forum, I actually feel welcomed and helped :happydance:

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll have to try the sparkling water as well, I don't think I ever actually have. Today and tomorrow are actually going to be decently calm after work so I'll be able to make some smoothies at home.
D
Question: Can you freeze homemade smoothies? If so, what is the best way?

Thanks again everyone for helping out! Love being on this forum, I actually feel welcomed and helped :happydance:

Personally I wouldn't. They taste better when made fresh. And they take literally 2 minutes to throw together. However, you can put all the ingredients for your smoothie (minus the milk) into individual freezer bags and then throw in the blender or vitamix along with milk and ice!
Spinach and bananas freeze well. You can even add oats! Tons of recipes on Pinterest! I usually do about a weeks worth of smoothies and throw into freezer bags, and it's SO easy!!

I've eaten TERRIBLY for my other two pregnancies and had two healthy happy babies. I can't stomach most of the food I see, so I just nibble at what I can handle.

With my son I was especially terrible, I had pretty much no vegetables or any good food at all, I had lots of Burger King and rubbish, cake, chocolate etc.

In the first tri I consider a hunk of cheese and a glass of water to be a success!

I've eaten TERRIBLY for my other two pregnancies and had two healthy happy babies. I can't stomach most of the food I see, so I just nibble at what I can handle.

With my son I was especially terrible, I had pretty much no vegetables or any good food at all, I had lots of Burger King and rubbish, cake, chocolate etc.

In the first tri I consider a hunk of cheese and a glass of water to be a success!

The food aversions and nausea definitely hit on the way to work this morning! I've had that hungry feeling all day, so far I've had a naked green 100% juice and goldfish, oh and a few crackers. Yea terrible so I'm glad someone else is in the same boat! The last week I've done pretty good but I also haven't had any symptoms really until today either. Thanks!

Oh man, weeks 6 to current have been soooo up and down. Some days it's salad and fruit and healthy protein but others it's greasy burger and pickles. I eat what I can handle. I should do more smoothies though, they actually go down pretty well.

I try to relax a bit while I feel so ill and just eat what appeals within reason. I know last time I was able to really stay healthy starting in second trimester.

One bad habit I've developed though is not being hungry until 8pm then being INSATIABLE. Not great for weight gain :(

Oh man, weeks 6 to current have been soooo up and down. Some days it's salad and fruit and healthy protein but others it's greasy burger and pickles. I eat what I can handle. I should do more smoothies though, they actually go down pretty well.

I try to relax a bit while I feel so ill and just eat what appeals within reason. I know last time I was able to really stay healthy starting in second trimester.

One bad habit I've developed though is not being hungry until 8pm then being INSATIABLE. Not great for weight gain :(

Yea my fridge is getting full at work because stuff sounds good then the next few days I can't even stand the thought of it! I have all organic salad that will go bad and homemade tortillas beans & rice. That's just since Saturday. I'm finding that goldfish set well, I don't even want to know why those are bad for you, because I like them! :smug: So glad to hear 2nd tri will possibly be better though! I've tried so hard to eat healthy since I found out and I feel like it all went down the drain yesterday :dohh: Thanks for telling me your experience! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->