Ectopic or 2nd m/c ? Very low rising HCG in 2nd conception after one m/c

married5yrs

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post.
I conceived 2nd time after a painful first m/c. This time LMP was 11/18/2013 and it's been 6 weeks with pregnancy.
Got my HCG tests done - they are rising very minimally and not doubling at all:

12/21/2013 (4 weeks 5 days after LMP) = 214
12/25/2013 = 360
12/30/2013 (6 weeks after LMP) = 470

Got one u/s (both abdominal and TVS) done on 12/28 and nothing is seen inside.Both Uterus and tubes are empty.
Also all my pregnancy symptoms that I had in starting of pregnancy have faded now - not feeling hungry,tired etc.

My doctor thinks that it could be either ectopic pregnancy or normal uterine pregnancy which is failing.
Doctor prescribed to stop taking progesterone and aspirin which I was taking earlier as they don't want to support it if it is ectopic.

I know there is very tiny chance of normal growth, so we asked Doctor should we plan to take pills to terminate.
But she is asking us to wait one week more and get more HCG tests and u/s done again.

They are not sure whether it is ectopic or uterine.
I don't have any pain in abdomen or bleeding - so hoping and praying that it is not ectopic.

But also worried that if it is ectopic then will waiting for more time allow it to grow further ?
And thus making it more difficult to treat medically (using pills) or surgically
or in worst case - leading to rupture of tubes (terrified :()

It kills me that doctors say that they cannot determine whether it is ectopic
at this stage and treat it early if that is the case.

Am devastated with this 2nd consecutive negative outcome :( :( :(
Has anybody (unfortunately) seen a similar situation as mine ?
What was the outcome ? - normal pregnancy or uterine miscarriage or ectopic ?
Waiting desperately for your helpful answers.
Thanks in advance ....

I have no experience in this sort of this, and I'm sorry your pregnancy hasn't been a pleasant experience so far :hugs:

I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say that there are plenty of people who have 2 losses and go on to have a healthy pregnancy. Good luck with this pregnancy, and I truly hope things turn out the best that they can for you :flower:

x

That is how my last pregnancy (before this one) progressed. Numbers never got higher then 500-something. Doc didn't see much of anything in my uterus at all, just a clot of some type. A few days later I began spotting and a few days after that had heavy bleeding.

But since you're so early, I would give it more time to see if your body will naturally allow it to progress or allow it to pass. I'll be honest that your hcg numbers seem low. The fact that you have no pain though is a good sign that it may not be ectopic. How sure are you of your dates?

I know this has to be so hard and I'm sorry you are going through this. :(

I'm so sorry you are going through this.....sending prayers and hugs!

Thanks a lot for your kind words. Usually my cycles are pretty regular. My dates can only be max
3-4 days on and off.

So sorry you are in limbo hun, its a horrible feeling :hugs: I hope they can figure this out for you ASAP xx

2 of my m/c's were like that. My numbers did get higher in my last pregnancy (climbed to around 2500) but weren't even close to doubling. I eventually started bleeding withou any medical intervention. I've had 3 m/c's and 2 chemicals, but never an ectopic so can't comment there, except that a lot of women who have posted about having an ectopic report pain, although I'm sure there are some who don't. I hope you get some answers soon and I'm sorry this is happening.

My ectopic was a tough one because my hcg was rising just within limits for the most part but week after week no uterine pregnancy could be found. I opted with the advice of my doctor to wait another week a few times until at 7 weeks 6 days we decided to do methotrexate. As one last precautionary measure we did a final scan and finally found the baby and heatbeat in my left tube:cry:

The very next day I did the methotrexate and my hcg still rose to 10k the following day. I did a 2nd round but my hcg kept rising and I had to have surgery and lost my left tube. In retrospect I wish i would have elected to have treatment sooner but it was a hard decision to make considering all the factors. Methotrexate is most effective when hcg is under 3k. If hcg is under 5k it can still be effective but usually takes two rounds. Your hcg is still low so make the decision you feel most comfortable with at this juncture and hopefully it isn't ectopic at all. Will think positive thoughts for you.

My 2nd miscarriage was like this. Slow rising hcg but a live embryo was seen at 6 weeks. I miscarried 5 days later. I was just relieved it wasn't ectopic. Sorry you're going though this:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->