ECV? Experiences? Refusing?

QTPie

Reaction score
Ok, still early days... but I am almost 35 weeks and still breech....

Am trying various hollistic options, but there is the thought of an ECV on the horizon...

At my hospital there is apparently a 50% success rate. Doesn't sound too brilliant to me and I haven't heard one good thing about ECVs (what the hospital calls "gentle manipulation", most people describe as a REALLY painful procedure :wacko: ).

Anyone have a "good" experience of an ECV (i.e. not really painful AND successful)?

Anyone turned an ECV down? By doing this, the next step appears to be scheduling a C Section... I am in two minds about this... I am not completely against a planned C Section (actually I see quite a few advantages, but am aware of the risks and disadvantages). I wonder if I feel that I should have an ECV just because I feel it is the thing to do (i.e. despite hating the idea of having one and not being completely against a C Section).

Early days still - baby may turn by himself or with hollistic help - but I want to start thinking of the options and know that this next couple of weeks will FLY by...

QT

QT, didn't want to read and run but have no idea on this at all. However, I have heard from a friend who was breech that acupuncture is extremely effective in the turning of breeches if undertaken in time - is this one of the hollistic things you are trying?

I'm even earlier days than you but my bubs had been head down for 12 weeks and then decided to turn breech so I'm not holding out much hope for him to turn again in time. At the moment I'm thinking if he's still breech at 36 weeks I wouldn't have the ECV because I've heard it's painful, and only works half the time, and baby could still be successfully turned and then turn back again before labour. xx

I am 36+6 - baby has been breech all along so no chance its going to turn now!

Had another scan to confirm this on tuesday and am meeting consultant next week at 37+4 to discuss where we go from here.

I have already declined the ECV - a couple friends have had bad experiences with this and one of the babies has turned itself breech again within couple hours of ECV!

I am happy to go with a planned c-section - looks like the only way to get little one out!

I just want to keep baby in as long as possible as I am measuring a bit small so dont want them scheduling it for just 38wks - unlikely I guess since I am not seeing consultant til 37+4!

My baby is obviously really comfy the way they are and I dont want to go forcing them into positions they dont want to be in:flower:

I was wondering about this option too and for some reason dont feel very confident about an ecv as i have also heard that it is not very successful and that baby can just turn straight back round , guess i will have to tlk to my consultant about things if baby is breech x

Yes, hollistically will be trying various exercises (although don't hold out a lot of hope - I swim twice a week, do various "on hands and knees" stuff and pre-natal yoga once a week too - he has had PLENTY of encouragement to turn...). Will try accupuncture and accupressure :thumbup:

Since he has been breech all along (certainly in scans since 20 weeks and the Consultant said he was breech at 16 weeks), he must like his current position rather a lot... :wacko:

Thanks for your replies and opinions. My next scan is next week (35 weeks - because they need to check the baby's growth - which was slowing) and I will check in with the MW straight afterwards (and possibly the on-call Consultant - depending on what the scan reveals). My next scheduled Consultant appointment is 36 weeks. It is good to know that refusing an ECV is an option (not that they would "make me do it", but that I don't need to feel that I "should" do it even if I don't like the idea): gives me discussion points with the Consultant...

At my hospital they wont (unless there is a worrying growth problem or other emergency...) schedule a C Section until 39 weeks - so there is still time to turn.

QT

A friend of mine was given 10% chance of turning bubs with ECV, and it worked out for her. She was very against having a c-section unless absolutely necessary.

She did say it hurt, but also that it was over quite quickly... worth a shot i'd say, if you're keen on natural birth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->