eczema / weaning

whiby

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I took Ethan for his 4 month injections on Monday and while we were there the HV told me he had eczema - she said it looked infected. I had never seen that HV before she is not my usual one. I didn't think the skin looked infected, it was just red - no pus and it wasn't even really bothering him. However, as I don't have much basis for comparison I accepted her opinion.

I explained that I was planning on asking the GP about it when they gave him the injections, as I had been using Oilatum for kids and it hadn't done anything. The HV then said "don't under any circumstances give him any solids whatsoever until he is at least 6 months, and not without coming back to us first". I was a bit surprised so I asked why, and she said he could develop allergies as he had such "bad" eczema. I explained that the eczema had only started when we took him to waterbabies, and the instructor had said the chlorine sometimes irritates the skin. It's only on his face, nowhere else.

Anyways, the HV was adamant I shouldn't give him solids until minimum 6 months, and not before seeing the GP. When I took him into the GP the GP said it looks a bit dry (no mention of infection) and prescribed some Epaderm, which has worked brilliantly and his skin is nearly 100% clear now after only 4 days of using it.

Ethan has recently started following our food with his eyes, and has been consistently draining 7oz bottles of hungry baby milk and sometime cries when he finishes the bottle, I'm sure he would take more if offered. He looks like he is ready for a teeny bit of baby rice but I'm a bit worried about how adament the HV was about him being 6 months. He will be 4 months at the end of Sept so I will wait till then anyway but I really can't see him waiting till he is 6 months old. Should I take him back to the GP now, even though his skin is now fine? Part of me thinks the HV was over-reacting (GP didn't say anything about not starting solids, or it looking infected) but I am aware I am not medically trained either!

Any advice?

my cousin's child has bad exzema as well and she was told the same to hold off weaning until 6 months because of the possible development of allergies....

Delaying solids reduces the risk of allergies. A LO who has eczema is at increased risk of allergies, so it is often advised to follow the 6 month guidelines. It is quite common in some countries for babies from a high risk background (allergies in the family, eczema) to wait until 9+ months before introducing solids.

If you are considering introducing solids before 6 months, please read:
https://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
and
https://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-when.html

Personally, I would talk to your GP or HV before introducing solids before 6 months. There are risks involved.

Yep I agree, even without eczema the recommendation is to wait until 6mo, but especially with underlying issues. All 3 of my boys have eczema and we've been told that it's also linked with asthma..and all of it with allergies. Hayden's ended up being from a dairy intolerance that he outgrew. They may possibly want to test for some of the main allergies like wheat, soy, dairy...before you start solids. Or just watch very closely for any changes in the eczema or anything else

Hi everyone
I explained that the eczema had only started when we took him to waterbabies, and the instructor had said the chlorine sometimes irritates the skin. It's only on his face, nowhere else.

Sorry I can't actually help, Freya has eczema just on her eyes - nowhere else. The docs just gave me hydrocortisone and said don't use it for longer than 2 days so I didn't/ Don't like the idea of it anyway.

It wasn't 'til I saw you had written this that I realised it started when we started Swimbabes a few weeks ago!

So, is Ethan's like little spots? Freya's is, it's worse in the morning too. I will go ask for some Epaderm I think. Is it a cream?

I won't be giving Freya solids 'til 6 months anyway, because of her eczema I was planning on delaying milk, wheat, gluten and eggs even further. I don't want her to be allergic to those things. I think if you give them later it is loads better for them.

If I were you I would just give him as much milk as he wants - it will probably even out or even slow down a bit between now and 6 months, a lot of babies do have a growth spurt around 4 months, so see if you can wait a bit.:)

Thank you for helping with my problem! :happydance:

Thanks for your replies everyone. I've never had any experience with eczema or asthma as there is no family history, so it's been good to get your advice.

I've called the HV and she has said to just up the amount of milk he is having from 7oz to 8ozm and to take him back to the baby clinic rather than the GP before introducing any solids. So we'll try that, I really don't want to introduce solids earlier than 6 months if I can possibly avoid it.

Thanks!

Hi everyone
I explained that the eczema had only started when we took him to waterbabies, and the instructor had said the chlorine sometimes irritates the skin. It's only on his face, nowhere else.

So, is Ethan's like little spots? Freya's is, it's worse in the morning too. I will go ask for some Epaderm I think. Is it a cream?

Hi yeah it was lots of little red spots - looked a little like baby acne -but dryer. It was mostly on his forehead, hairline and cheeks and it was particularly red after swimming. The Epaderm is good stuff, it's in a big tub and its really thick paraffin based stuff, it's kind of like a cream, you just rub it onto the skin as often as required. The GP said she would prescribe that before any steroid based creams, but that she would give the steroid stuff if Epaderm didn't work. Hope the Epaderm helps Freya x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->