Edward.. Will he be an Eddie ? :/

Rhi_Rhi1

Reaction score
Currently settled on the name Edward, but really not a fan of Eddie,

We prefer Ted or Teddy (at least as a child.. he can do what he wants later I suppose haha)

But is Ted more of a shorthand for Theodore ?

Some people have said "aww a little eddie" and others have instantly said to the name "oh that's nice and ted for short?" etc etc

The only other name we REALLY liked was Noah, but my god it is getting popular
which isn't a sole reason for not going with it, but it is literally everywhere :haha: and last week I heard some chavvy lady in her pyjamas on the school run screeching it at her kid and it really put me off :dohh: how sad am I !?
I remember thinking "we like the same name :/" Then I thought "OMG I'm Katie hopkins" :haha:

Thoughts ? :flower:

Haha that Katie Hopkins woman has a lot to answer for!!
I would not think of the nickname Eddie for Edward at all, lovely name :)
Theodore and they is cute too & I like Noah but the chav would have put me off too, oops x

Haha Katie Hopkins, found this thread as I was just doing a little stalking on you to find out if you knew what you were having (probably shouldn't admit to that haha) congrats on your little boy! Team blue all the way same as me!

It's tough, I can imagine nowadays Theodore would get shortened to Theo (which is a lovely name also, but is getting quite popular if you wanted to avoid that). I think people would assume as you were calling him Edward the assumption is Eddie, a bit like Oliver and Ollie, but I think people will follow your lead. So if I were you, if there was a nickname you really wanted him to be known by I would put Edward on the certificate and then announce to everyone he is called Ted (or whatever name you prefer) then I guess as he grows up he can decide what he prefers? But as the shortened name is basically a nickname, you can call him what you want, it'll stick eventually!

lol although I think Katie Hopkins is clearly insane, I must admit I do agree with her sometimes :s some names are 'chavvy' and you can't help but think 'what were they thinking?'
Edward is lovely though, as is Ted and Eddie is ok. I think people will generally call him whatever you and your OH do. When he's at school however, you don't really have a choice as kids will make nicknames out of absolutely anything and he might even want to be an Eddie himself. I don't think this should put you off choosing it though as its a lovely classic name.

Haha Katie Hopkins, found this thread as I was just doing a little stalking on you to find out if you knew what you were having (probably shouldn't admit to that haha) congrats on your little boy! Team blue all the way same as me!

It's tough, I can imagine nowadays Theodore would get shortened to Theo (which is a lovely name also, but is getting quite popular if you wanted to avoid that). I think people would assume as you were calling him Edward the assumption is Eddie, a bit like Oliver and Ollie, but I think people will follow your lead. So if I were you, if there was a nickname you really wanted him to be known by I would put Edward on the certificate and then announce to everyone he is called Ted (or whatever name you prefer) then I guess as he grows up he can decide what he prefers? But as the shortened name is basically a nickname, you can call him what you want, it'll stick eventually!

Do I need a restraining order ?! :haha:

Yes team blue all the way :)

Thank you, I think you are right and people will generally follow our lead... I'm an Alexandria and often get called Alex(I use rhea strangely enough) it only takes a minute to correct so yeah I am prolly just over thinking it.

Do you have a name yet ? How are things going ? :flower:

Do I need a restraining order ?! :haha:

Yes team blue all the way :)

Thank you, I think you are right and people will generally follow our lead... I'm an Alexandria and often get called Alex(I use rhea strangely enough) it only takes a minute to correct so yeah I am prolly just over thinking it.

Do you have a name yet ? How are things going ? :flower:

I always loved how the character in Buffy was called Xander instead of Alex when his full name was Alexander, unusual

I'm sure they'll call him whatever you do, teachers usually ask children what they prefer to be called for registers and exercise books etc.

Things are fine thanks, it's been pretty smooth sailing *touchwood*, how about you? We have decided on Joshua, I have loved the name from before we conceived, I kinda wish it was something a little bit more unique as I know it is relatively common and I love how DS's name isn't over used -around here at least- (Elliot) but I just love the name so much I haven't even thought of any others. I love the full name though and I know it's going to annoy me when everyone calls him Josh haha.

Joshua is a lovely name :) It was actually in our top ten!
I always thought xander was a cool short hand for Alexander, but when I suggested the name Alexander to OH he really wasn't on board. Truth be told Alexander was my first choice but I suppose there has to be a compromise! and I can sort of see Oh's point, he thought it would be almost like naming him after myself because they are so similar.

Glad to hear everything is going well, things here are also fairly straight forward I have felt a little bit meh at my midwife care this time around mind.... I have three midwifes and have so far met two of them which I find odd, also can't get around my next app being in November, it seems so far away (last one was August) They just don't check you as much the second time do they ? I'm such a moaner though ahah x

I have an Edward and to be honest we love the name so much we haven't really settled on a nickname and he still gets called Edward mostly and variable the shortenings.

I think we will eventually call him Ed most of the time, he often gets called Tedward, he sometimes gets Eddie, occasionally Ted, very occasionally Teddy bear. The only nick name I didn't like was Ned but since having Edward I have met an 8yr old Ned and it has even grown on me!

Joshua is a lovely name :) It was actually in our top ten!
I always thought xander was a cool short hand for Alexander, but when I suggested the name Alexander to OH he really wasn't on board. Truth be told Alexander was my first choice but I suppose there has to be a compromise! and I can sort of see Oh's point, he thought it would be almost like naming him after myself because they are so similar.

Glad to hear everything is going well, things here are also fairly straight forward I have felt a little bit meh at my midwife care this time around mind.... I have three midwifes and have so far met two of them which I find odd, also can't get around my next app being in November, it seems so far away (last one was August) They just don't check you as much the second time do they ? I'm such a moaner though ahah x

Yeah it's really strange I didn't have an appointment until last week from July (part from one about my home birth) and I'm not seeing them again for another 6 weeks, tbh I'm not overly bothered I feel fine and it's kinda nice not having to keep going to and from but it does seem pretty drastic compared to last time!x

people will absolutely follow your lead.

Until he is older he may prefer Eddie, but by that time he will be so used to Ted.

There's a boy in my sons class at school called Edward and he gets called Edward!

My cousin is also Edward and had always been known as ted! I think when he's old enough he will say which he prefers Eddie is quite cute though IMO xx

My OH is called Edward, and he never gets called Eddie. It just doesn't suit him. I think if you only call him Edward/Ted thats all anyone else will ever call him too.

And if you hear anyone, albeit adult or child, calling him Eddie just correct them.

we had 2 Edwards in our family (senior and junior)

one went by Eddy
one by Edward

still find Ted a weird nickname for Edward... where the hell did the T come from?

If i have another boy, i want to call him Edward, but i will be shortening it to Woody!!

I had an Uncle Ted, who was ancient, i think Ted and Teddy can be carried on through adult life, and isnt just a childs name.

Its such a difficult descision naming a child, but it can be easily over anaylised and you can end up over thinking it and putting yourself off!

PS I actually really like Eddie :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->