eeek! No Washing Machine - handwashing cloth nappies?

eldar

Mama to Wyn and Will
Reaction score
I'm off with my extended family to a rented cottage for a weeks holiday next month but I have just discovered the place has no washing machine!

So how or would I go about washing my LO's nappies!

I'm using the bamboo pop-ins and any advice would be appreciated. If we can we will find a launderette but going away from the place is a pain (I don't drive) so it would be much easier to wash them at the cottage. I really don't want to use disposables, as it is we are going to the states for two weeks in August and I will be using them then, adding another week of disposables and I will have to hang my head in shame (I really hate the idea of ever putting them in them now, I'm sooooo attached to my fluff!)

So what has everyone else done when the washing machine broke...?

i handwashed all of my nappies until leyla was about 6months, it was hard work but i was determined lol

all i did was get some of that non bio liquid stuff, big bucket of water, or sometimes just filled the ath about half full, however much detergent it says, halved, then i chucked the nappies in and left them to soak for an hour, going in to give them a swish every now and then, empty the bath / bucket, wring everything out, put new water in, basically keep doing this until they looked rinsed, it can take a while though lol, then wring them out as tightly as you can, hang them over the bath on an airer, dont leave them above a floor because you will never wring them out enough to stop them dripping, i learned this the hard way hahaha

x

So its washing them the same way that I used to have to do with all my clothes in the shared student house life I once lived!

(our bath was always full of someones clothes when you wanted a soak!)

I was a bit concerned I wouldn't be able to rinse them properly or that they would smell, as I obviously don't want to get them really soapy.

just use a tiny bit of detergent and youll be fine, wring them out a few times and rinse in lots of clean water, youll be fine :)

x

Thanks for the reply!

There will be 10 of us there so I will draft in the others, if we each do a rinse cycle then it will be sorted in no time - we can make a party game of wringing them lol! :haha:

I must pack a clothes line and pegs though - then they can drip outside all day and finally get them sunshine dried-I live in a flat so there are always nappies hanging in the window, I'm just glad they are pretty colours!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->