elcs question

LadySlipper

Reaction score
Last time I had an emcs and had a horrible experience having the catheter put in. She kept missing or something so I was repeatedly poked down there. The more she missed the more I tensed up which didn't help the situation. It was painful as you can imagine.

So my question is this. For your elcs did they put in the catheter before or after you were numb? I am in the US if that makes a difference.

I'm in the UK, but both of my c sections (one emergency, one elective) the catheter has been put in after the spinal. I was aware of them doing it as I wasn't 100% numb but it wasn't uncomfortable. I was more uncomfortable of the audience!

I have has one emergency section and one elective. I already had an epidural in place with the emergency, and they put the catheter in after the spinal with the elective (in New Zealand).

I'm from Canada, and had an EMCS with DD. They put it in after my epidural...and I'm guessing they will do the same with my ELCS in February [but it will be a spinal not an epidural at that point].

Thanks ladies. Not sure why they did it before being numb last time. Maybe they were in a hurry or she didn't realize I didn't have an epi at the time. I will definitely ask if they can wait until I have my spinal this time if they try to beforehand. I wonder if I had trainees. Also had a bad iv experience. She kept missing and made my hand bleed all over. Other than those two things the emcs went smoothly.

Oh my goodness I'm so sorry you went through that! I'm in the US and they put the catheter in after the spinal. Im Sure if you mention this before hand they will want to make sure you're comfortable and numb first!

I feel you! I'm in the US, too. I just had my second c-section a week ago. The first time, it wasn't planned, but it wasn't a typical "emergency" either--very unrushed, etc. And they put the catheter in ahead of time. I remember lying there being SO uncomfortable. This time, they put it in after the spinal block was taking effect, and all I felt was a little twinge. I agree with Kala--if you say something ahead of time, I see no reason why they can't do it after you're numb.

I know we already talked on another thread, but I'm thinking of you, and really hope all goes well!! : )

i feel for you hun :hugs: with ds1 i had idiots place and remove catheters right throughout my labour as they wouldnt let me off the bed to go pee (I had around 5 or 6 in total) and then again just before being taken to theatre.. it was horrendous and i still get pain now almost 5 years later. ds2 was an elcs and they did it after my spinal took effect xx

It's pretty standard to have the catheter inserted after the spinal block begins taking effect. I didn't feel a thing with either of my c-sections. Getting it out...now THAT is a different story! LOL!

I asked senior midwife this at vbac appointment and she said they do it after spinal xx

For my elcs they put it in right after I had the spinal. Didn't feel a thing. I don't know why they would put it in before, that's just cruel but with emergencies sometimes things get done when they need to get done.

I would verbalize your concerns and they will reassure you :)

I'm in Australia, and I had mine put in after the spinal. They told me they were doing it but I felt nothing at all. Getting it out felt weird, but not painful. They told me to cough when they did it.
I think things are different when it's an emergency, an elective is much more relaxed :)

Thank you ladies. I feel so much better about my upcoming elcs. :flower: It was the only part I was nervous about. Though the iv is no fun, but there is no avoiding that fun experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->