• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Elective C-section after previous dystocia?

aliss

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if any of you girls had your C-sections after a previous (vaginal) shoulder dystocia or because of dystocia risk. I would love to hear from any of you!

I'm sorry Aliss, I didn't get round to writing my birth story yet. But I have my baby at home now and we are both ok. There were good and bad aspects to the cesarean delivery in all honesty. The birth was easy and relaxing, the recovery was agonising but at least my baby was safe. For some reason the baby was a lot smaller than my last baby so I probably would have been ok going vaginal.... But before the birth you just don't know do you?

I will write an in depth account soon I promise.

Congrats crazylilth1ng!! So #3 was only 7lb 6oz eh?? I'm sorry your recovery is so difficult. Considering the small size, do you feel it was the right choice? I hope your recovery improves!! :)

Hi, just wondering if any of you girls had your C-sections after a previous (vaginal) shoulder dystocia or because of dystocia risk. I would love to hear from any of you!

Hi there I have been told my next pregnancy will have to be a c section due to dystocia, my second son weighing 9lbs got stuck and luckily I was flexible enough fir the midwives to put my ankles next to my ears and were able to open me up more to get him out. I would not take the risk of having a vaginal birth as I would rather I went through the trauma as opposed to my babies head or limbs being damaged.

However I am ttc at the moment and dreading the recovery of a c section with two children already to bear in mind x

Very interested to hear what people say in this thread xx

Aliss, if I had KNOWN she was so small, in all honesty I would have opted for induction and vaginal delivery when overdue rather than the section. But as we didn't know, I feel I made the right decision for the safety of the baby :)

My recovery is a lot better almost 3 weeks on!! Thank you.

Hi there I have been told my next pregnancy will have to be a c section due to dystocia, my second son weighing 9lbs got stuck and luckily I was flexible enough fir the midwives to put my ankles next to my ears and were able to open me up more to get him out. I would not take the risk of having a vaginal birth as I would rather I went through the trauma as opposed to my babies head or limbs being damaged.

However I am ttc at the moment and dreading the recovery of a c section with two children already to bear in mind x

Very interested to hear what people say in this thread xx

I had 2 children before the section and the worst, most painful part of recovery happens while in hospital. It was vile getting out of bed the first time but at least my other kids weren't there. At home you just take it easy and you will be ok.

Thanks for that x I have just seen my friend recover after c section and she was in a right state - first birth and an emergency!

It worried me hearing her experience but I'm sure most of it is just the whole adapting to motherhood. My 1st born was 7 lb 4oz and I struggled with hi
Until they got me on a birthing stool. My next was 9lb and long, I am only 5ft 2 and he was really difficult to get out, but with fast acting midwives he came out.
I too kinda am thinking if I knew it would be similar size to the first I would wanna try vaginally but I guess it's often hard for them to tell how big they r whilst inside u. I felt my second was huge throughout my pregnancy and they just kept saying "oh he's a fine size" like that helps!!! Grrr

I'm glad u r ok following ure procedure x

The delivery of my second baby was very like the shoulder dystocia delivery on OBEM recently. It was awful! The thing is tho, it's not always caused by the size of the baby. Not only was Sofia large but she dropped into the birth canal at the wrong angle (even tho she was on the ROA position the whole of the end of the pregnancy). So I guess even tho Eleni was small, I still feel that the section was not a bad choice.

I think a recovery from an emergency section is supposed to be worse but I don't have any experience of an emergency one.

The thing I'll remember of it happens again is just that the pain when they get you out of bed the day after is very normal (I was scared it wasn't but it was), and it's normal for some blood to run out as you have been sat down for over 24 hrs and it's pooled in the vaginal canal.

3 weeks pp tomorrow and I'm starting to do little things again... You prob won't be able to be picking your other kids up for a while tho.

Thanks girls!

I've actually gone ahead and booked into the birthing centre. It is sort of an all or nothing decision for me (the epidural is what caused the major problems with my dystocia), I think, I'm just too fearful of cesearean. We'll have to see, I have 35 weeks to go LOL

Thanks girls!

I've actually gone ahead and booked into the birthing centre. It is sort of an all or nothing decision for me (the epidural is what caused the major problems with my dystocia), I think, I'm just too fearful of cesearean. We'll have to see, I have 35 weeks to go LOL

Well you have plenty of time hun... And congrats by the way! I remember your bad luck with your last pregnancy a few months ago and am happy to read that you conceived again!! I had an ectopic just before we conceived Eleni and I had a tube removed so was so happy to conceive so quickly! I think that surgery made me less scared of the section (even tho the section was worse).

Do they have plans to monitor the size of baby? That could play a part in your decision.

I think my dystocia was partly to do with the fact that it was an induction of labour and while I didn't have an epi, I was stuck on monitors unable to get into a good position for the second stage. That along with the size of the baby and a wrong descent into the pelvis.

Myself (hubby wants one more baby next year and I've agreed), I'm hoping for a VBAC

Thanks. I'm not sure what's going to happen as his size wasn't so much the problem (only 9lb 3oz) but that I was in labour 3 days pitocin epidural on my back etc... all that crap.

I think induction is the devil, really i do

Sofia was only 9lbs 3 too! It's huge to me!! But yes, I think position is a lot to do with it.

I'm getting a GTT/diabetes test at 12 weeks apparently. I wonder if we had some sort of undiagnosed GD? Esp a s your other 2 were nowhere near the same size?

Funny you should say that. I had glucose in my wee at my 40 and 41 week appt AND when I went in for induction but they just said it was nothing as it wasn't a huge amount.

I did get a GTT this time tho which was negative. The dr even told me this time after looking at my notes that it was possible Last time that I had GD that was developed right at the end and caused Sofia to pile on weight. She was very chubby and the same length as Eleni so her weight didn't come from length!

It will be interesting for you to see the results of your GTT.

Thanks!

I wouldn't be surprised if you had GD in the end, I dunno, I've never heard of a 2nd out of 3 babies being much bigger than the others!?! It sure makes more sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->