Elective C Section or Vaginal Birth?

kittykat7210

Proud mum of 2
Reaction score
I know it is super early to be thinking about delivery, but I am very nervous about what the exit strategy should be.

I am leaning over towards Elective C Section, I know the recovery is long, painful and everything, but it would mean a definite (well almost definite) date for baby, meaning that my hubby could get time off of work and help with baby, and it would also put away my concerns over vaginal birthing. I am very short, little over 5ft and weigh less than 7 stone, so I am very tiny, i also have narrow hips. I am petrified of tearing, even a little bit. I am scared of things going wrong, i know that if its not going well then i will just panic like crazy and it can (and probably will) make me have a panic attack in the middle of trying to push out my baby! I literally have no idea what to do. can anyone just give some advice as to a sort of maybe okay plan of action?

Many Thanks,
Kittykat

Hey, I am a first timer so I can't really offer much advice but I watched a really interesting documentary called "The Business of Being Born" it is more focused on the birthing system but it talks a lot about the difference between a natural birth vs a c section so it may help you decide? Even if it doesn't it's a really interesting watch :) Either way so long as you do what feels right to you, I am sure you will be happy :)

Hi there. You will be surprised what your body can do, don't be put off a vaginal delivery because your petite. My great nan is all of 6 stone and 4ft 11 and gave birth naturally to a 11 pound baby on her own at home with no pain relief so your size has nothing to do with it. The female body is made for it! That being said I had an emergency csection with my first due to complications and the recovery is very long, you can't drive for weeks, it's difficult to lift things and I also had to give myself injections so it's really not the easier option. There are many pain relief options available to you and from experience when I was in labour I had Diamorphine which really "chills" you out so perhaps that would help with your anxiety? I personally feel cheated out of a natural birth with my daughter I believe it would be a very empowering experience if you are lucky enough to give birth vaginally. Also it might be worth adding that if you are in the UK you don't get the choice of a c-section unless there is an actual need for one. There are many benefits of a natural child birth, it clears the baby's airway better than a CS among other things. Chat to your midwife or ob doc. I'm sure they will give you more info. I'm not trying to put you off a csection, you have to do what is best your you and your baby but what I'm trying to say is the anxiety you are experiencing is very common so don't put too much pressure on yourself xxxx

With this being your first and so far nothing requiring you to have a c-section I say definitely at least attempt a vaginal birth. A c-section is actually a major surgery and opens up the possibility for a whole host of complications. If you do have a c-section and want more children in the future you will also be at slightly higher risk for some stuff. When your body goes through the process naturally it releases hormones that greatly benefit you and baby. These hormones help you bond and cope with the life changing event that is having a baby, which means lower risk of postpartum depression (which is a real thing and I honesty think effects every woman to some degree). These hormones also aid in lactation which will make nursing easier and help your uterus shrink which means you'll get rid of the dreaded post-baby bump quicker. There's a long list of emotional and physical benefits we may not even know about. It's not an exact science but we're biologically designed to have babies and have adapted over thousands of years to make that process as effective as possible for maintaining our survival. If a c-section is necessary for the health of you or baby, they will do it, (hopefully only if its necessary) but it's definitely worth a shot to try a vaginal birth!

Don't do it! :) Seriously though, vaginal birth sounds scarier than it actually is. I have friends that have had C-sections and even though my birth was hard, I would take that any day over what my friends went through. Just make sure to get a really good doctor because mine was not. I didn't have a hard time with the labor part, I had a hard time with everything that they did to me. I walked out of that hospital like it was nothing the next day though. Even with tearing it only took a few weeks to heal and by the time my son was a week old, I was barely tender at all. I would be more concerned about being cut open and having an extensive heal time and really painful recovery over MAYBE tearing during delivery.

PLUS, it's better for the baby. C-section babies tend to be sicker because during the birthing process the baby is pushed through the birth canal and works all of the fluid out of it's lungs. If you don't have that happen, the fluid can't get out so a lot of babies get sick that way. I would save C-section for an absolute medical emergency. On a selfish note, it is harder to get your body back after a C-section as they have to cut through muscle so your body has to repair itself first and a lot of women have a hard time losing belly weight after that.

As for not knowing what to do, none of us did before having babies. Read books, talk to other moms, do your research but ultimately your body knows. I was terrified before I had my son because I felt like I had no idea how to do this but it is the most natural thing for your body to do. It's instinct and every woman has it. Your body will take over and it will tell you what to do. Trust your body.

I have had both (DD was elective due to low lying placenta) and DS was a VBAC, The VBAC is the one I would do again. Its an amazing experience to give birth naturally (and say this as a quick birth with ventouse and a second degree tear) and I found recovery and bonding much easier.

Elective (and emergency) c sections are amazing at ensuring the safety of mother and baby when needed but only when needed.

I am a planner too so I understand the need to know the birth date but not knowing is half the fun! In terms of tearing I found it much less painful than the cut I had and I was back to normal far quicker than with the c section.

For your final concern in terms of size this I would raise with your midwife and see if they cant keep an eye on that to reassure you.

Vaginal all the way!!! I've never had a c-section and will do everything in my power to avoid one this time round. I don't have any fears about labour apart from c-section. Of course I understand that sometimes it's necessary for the safety of both mother and baby and if it was the only option that guaranteed my babies safety then of course I would do it but I can't understand why anyone would choose to have one without the medical need.

Our bodies are amazing things, you'd be surprised what it can do. In fact it's what our bodies were designed to do. C-sections are major surgery, and each to their own but not for me!!!

Hi

I gave birth 6 weeks ago. In my view vaginal birth is better for you and for you child. One plus is that you can ask for delay clamping. It is very impotant for the health of your baby.

Hi, I have had two elective sections in the past. Although they were "elective" they weren't my choice. With my first I had Obstetric Cholestasis and my daughter was breech, because of the way she was, the size I was and a few other reasons my consultant wouldn't turn her and with having the Cholestasis I was high risk so they wouldn't entertain a breech delivery and so I had a planned section at 38. With my second I had hoped for a vbac as I felt like my ability to give birth naturally had been taken away from me with my first. I spent a lot of time preparing for this, but at 37 weeks I was diagnosed with Cholestasis again and due to the risk to the baby I would have needed to be induced at 38 weeks. Unfortunately because of having had a previous c section, I was pushed towards having another c section due the risks associated with early induction and previous c sections. I was gutted. It is very unlikely that I will even get a choice this time around. Especially due to the amount of scar tissue I had after my first, never mind my second.
I have always felt sad that I have never experienced something so magical as natural labour. So for me if there was any chance I could have a natural delivery I would.

Basically I would seriously consider a natural delivery, the risks, complications and long term consequences of having a c section can be much more than you first realise.

I hope you manage to find the right way for you.

Xx

I've had both...DD1 was vaginal and DD2 was a c-section due to complications. If we have #3, I will be opting for a VBAV over a repeat c-section. I know a vaginal delivery sounds scary but it was a hundred times better than my c-section. Bonding was much harder and my daughter had to be in the NICU which was upstairs...having just had major abdominal surgery, it took forever just to get to her. Recovery was much longer and much more painful with my c-section. I was also much more sick/nauseous during delivery and the whole thing felt very scary and "unnatural".

I really appreciate all the replies, its actually made me a bit more confident trying a vaginal delivery, i'll talk to my midwife about my concerns and i'm sure she'll further reassure me xx

My sister in law is Philipino and she is TINY, 75 lbs (about 5.5 stone) and very short. She had two vaginal births and it was no different than any other woman having a vaginal birth. Your body will know what to do no matter how petite you are!

I am pregnant with my first so I don't have any first hand experience, but I will be avoiding a c-section at all costs! It may seem like an "easier" delivery, but the recovery sounds like hell. It is a major surgery, one that most people would spend two weeks in the hospital recovering from before being discharged. But you will be sent home right afterwards and have to look after a baby on almost no sleep while trying to recover from major surgery. That does not sound like fun to me. My one sister had three c-sections and she hated every one of them. My other sister had two vaginal and one c-section and said she would take a vaginal birth over a c-section any day.

My sister in law is Philipino and she is TINY, 75 lbs (about 5.5 stone) and very short. She had two vaginal births and it was no different than any other woman having a vaginal birth. Your body will know what to do no matter how petite you are!

I am pregnant with my first so I don't have any first hand experience, but I will be avoiding a c-section at all costs! It may seem like an "easier" delivery, but the recovery sounds like hell. It is a major surgery, one that most people would spend two weeks in the hospital recovering from before being discharged. But you will be sent home right afterwards and have to look after a baby on almost no sleep while trying to recover from major surgery. That does not sound like fun to me. My one sister had three c-sections and she hated every one of them. My other sister had two vaginal and one c-section and said she would take a vaginal birth over a c-section any day.

I never meant it as the easier option because in no way is it easier but i plan everything and i just thought it may be a good way to destress

I see a lot of negativity here toward c-section. I do agree that if you can deliver vaginally it's preferred but my c-section experience was amazing.

I am 5'1" and 98lbs so I am tiny as well. My DD never dropped b/c my hips are too small and she stopped growing near the end b/c my placenta was very small. We induced at 39 weeks and the induction did not take - we tried for two days but my body did not want to go into labor.

I had a c-section and b/c I am allergic to some numbing meds I was put under general anesthesia. I was awake with my DD w/in 45 minutes of the start of the surgery, my DD had an initial APGAR of 8 and I breastfed w/out any problems within minutes of her being in my arms. Also, there were no issues with bonding.

My doctor also stated that the body does amazing things. I do know one woman my size who delivered an 11 lbs baby naturally. However, when he got inside of my uterus he realized how narrow my hips were and there was no way I could have delivered even my 5lbs 8oz girl. She was still floating around b/c my pelvis would not open.

I was back on my feet in a couple of hours, walking 1 mile w/in a week and mountain biking at 6 weeks. I healed much, much faster than my friends that had vaginal deliveries (b/c of tearing etc.) I have no incontinence. I will not have to deal with prolapse later in life. I know people prefer vaginal but I don't think c-sections should be discouraged so easily.

I look forward to my next c-section and by it being planned they will have medicine on hand that will allow me to be awake during surgery.

I dont think its negativity towards c section as such they are amazing and I enjoyed the elective c section experience with my daughter and I personally consider I gave birth to her as much as I gave birth to my son.

But having done them there was something more magical about my sons birth - it could be the hormones, the fact that I managed to do it myself, listening to my body and getting other people to listen to me (I went from 6cm to 10 cm in 20 minutes and my body started pushing for itself).

Regarding planning you cant with birth or a baby, find what decisions you can control and use them to help you. I am a planning freak as well so I can sympathisse!

I dont think its negativity towards c section as such they are amazing and I enjoyed the elective c section experience with my daughter and I personally consider I gave birth to her as much as I gave birth to my son.

But having done them there was something more magical about my sons birth - it could be the hormones, the fact that I managed to do it myself, listening to my body and getting other people to listen to me (I went from 6cm to 10 cm in 20 minutes and my body started pushing for itself).

Regarding planning you cant with birth or a baby, find what decisions you can control and use them to help you. I am a planning freak as well so I can sympathisse!

As I said, I think it's best to try vaginal first for the reasons you stated but I hate when women simply say "don't do it" and start to talk about an inability to bond, nurse etc. as those cases are not as common as people make it sound. I think it's this kind of talk that makes c-section mamas feel like they have failed or not birthed. There is a stigma w/ c-sections that needs to be eradicated from society. C-section mamas are strong and have made a very hard choice to keep their babies safe and alive. It's the first time we put our babies before ourselves, outside or pregnancy, and I think that is beautiful.

I also know women who were convinced to have vaginal deliveries when they wanted c-section and it was not always the right choice. They have since had c-sections the second time around and are happier.

As I said, I think it's best to try vaginal first for the reasons you stated but I hate when women simply say "don't do it" and start to talk about an inability to bond, nurse etc. as those cases are not as common as people make it sound. I think it's this kind of talk that makes c-section mamas feel like they have failed or not birthed. There is a stigma w/ c-sections that needs to be eradicated from society. C-section mamas are strong and have made a very hard choice to keep their babies safe and alive. It's the first time we put our babies before ourselves, outside or pregnancy, and I think that is beautiful.

I also know women who were convinced to have vaginal deliveries when they wanted c-section and it was not always the right choice. They have since had c-sections the second time around and are happier.

I have never said there is an inability to bond or nurse (I happened to nurse my daughter 21/2 years after our c section and I agree (and said before) that c section is as much to me giving birth and a vaginal birth. There should not be a stigma attached to it either its necessary (my DD would not have survived otherwise) and any medical indications one is necessary I would always be there to reassure someone its the right decision.

But personally it took me a day to bond properly with DD, to recover from the surgical experience and to get moving as opposed to instant bonding, 3/4 recovery and moving around.

The OP is anxious about giving birth vaginally and that is understandable but trying to allay her fears is not being negative towards a c section and you a right having one is a hard choice and often the right choice but here at the moment for the OP I am not sure it is - talking to her midwife raising her concerns and making sure that they listen to her and she listens to her body so that any signs that vaginal birth is not the right choice she feels she can say so is imo how it should be played.

I've never had a c-section, I did a completely natural vaginal birth and I loved it. It was a very empowering experience. Not to say that a c-section couldn't be, but I don't have experience with one so I can't offer any advice in regards to it. Best of luck making this very big decision!

Also it might be worth adding that if you are in the UK you don't get the choice of a c-section unless there is an actual need for one

This is what I was going to say!
Your fears re: vaginal birth have already been covered by other replies so I won't go into that - except to say I agree that your size isn't really a factor, thousands/millions of small ladies have baby's vaginally :)

But unfortunately, if you're in the UK, the need to be organised and for OH to have time off work, would not be considered a valid reason to book an elective C Section anyway. There would need to be a clinical/medical indication for one.

Also it might be worth adding that if you are in the UK you don't get the choice of a c-section unless there is an actual need for one

This is what I was going to say!
Your fears re: vaginal birth have already been covered by other replies so I won't go into that - except to say I agree that your size isn't really a factor, thousands/millions of small ladies have baby's vaginally :)

But unfortunately, if you're in the UK, the need to be organised and for OH to have time off work, would not be considered a valid reason to book an elective C Section anyway. There would need to be a clinical/medical indication for one.

psychological reasons are enough, and I have a lot of psychological barriers when it comes to vaginal birthing

I just don't want to get halfway through and be rushed off for an emergency c section, not being told anything about whats going on, because i won't deal with it well. I was offered one last time I was pregnant (after a long debate)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->