Elective sections

Zizzle

Reaction score
How do they work? Do you get given a set and time etc? I had an emergency with my first and I'm planning an elective with number 2.

How do they work? Do you get given a set and time etc? I had an emergency with my first and I'm planning an elective with number 2.[/QUOTE

Hi There:flower:

I am pregnant with my 1st lil monkey, and decided on also having an elective c section - most think that I am crazy! lol Its just that I am more scared of going normal... have heard terrible stories! As far as I kow your Gynea will give you a set time and date ( could be anything from 37 weeks onward, depending on your babies progress). In south africa that is how it works, oh and you go to book your bed by 29 weeks....

My friend had 2 elective c sections and she told me that yeah, the first day you have to move around is TERRIBLE.. but you can survive and after that it only gets better...

It seems to me like the second time around it's much less painful (or mabe just you know what to expect) But so far all the ladies I know has told me that the 2nd Csection was a breeze...

Congrats on your lil one!! How far along are you?:winkwink:

I had an elective with my first in October as I suffer from Tokophobia. I was to be given my date at 36 weeks I think it was but it made me so anxious waiting that I got given my date when I was about 28 weeks. I went into hospital when I was 39+2 and had an elective. It was amazing! I was so terrified of the cannula and epidural etc but it was fine. Not painful at all. Also when the epi wore off I wasnt in pain. The day after I was left without pain relief for about 11 hours and coped and 2 days after the section when I went home i stopped taking regular pain relief. I did have a pulling on one side for the first couple of days but apparantly this is where I was stitched. My scar can get sore and itchy now but seriously overall the experience was so great and I have had a lot worse period and IBS pain.

AMAZING!!!!

xx

I had an elective with my first in October as I suffer from Tokophobia. I was to be given my date at 36 weeks I think it was but it made me so anxious waiting that I got given my date when I was about 28 weeks. I went into hospital when I was 39+2 and had an elective. It was amazing! I was so terrified of the cannula and epidural etc but it was fine. Not painful at all. Also when the epi wore off I wasnt in pain. The day after I was left without pain relief for about 11 hours and coped and 2 days after the section when I went home i stopped taking regular pain relief. I did have a pulling on one side for the first couple of days but apparantly this is where I was stitched. My scar can get sore and itchy now but seriously overall the experience was so great and I have had a lot worse period and IBS pain.

AMAZING!!!!

xx

Lol Thanks your post made me feel alot better about having the section done... I do not expect it to be painless, I mean I know it is major abdominal surgery - I just need to keep reminding myself that there has been 1000000 of other ladies who had it done and were perfectly fine afterwards, Ok mabe not comfortable but they survived... and so will I :haha:

Im just a bit worried about having a stomach aftewards, is it true that when you have a c section you are more likely to have a tummy than if you went normal?

I had an elective section a week ago, after having my first by emergency section, it was so much better, less painful and easier to recover. My appt was made at 3 weeks and I was given the date of 39 weeks and a time to turn up. Sat on a bed for a gpfew hours, cannula put in hand and then walked to theatre. I had a spinal block which was amazing and provided much more relef than the epidural I had the first time. I didn't a single thing this time, other than the pressure on my chest as they pulled baby down and out. Yo do feel a bit rubbish afterwards, I went to the recover area for a few hours and yo are on a drip and wired to a heart monitor , I couldn't feel my legs for a good few hours which is a strange feeling. There was no pain initially as they give you such strong painkillers but afte a couple of days you will start to ache- I think I was more prepared due to my first bu obviously you have q catheter and it's hard to wee for a bit when that comes out. Your bleeding a lot and it's hard to sit up, I had my wound stapled this time so that had to be removed too. A week on I am fully mobile, and have been for a few days I am aching today howeve as I have been to the shops s be careful and expect your firs trip out to be exhausting!

This thread has been SO helpful! I hadn't even thought about the difference in Emergency and Elective in terms of the procedure and actual recovery. I was put to sleep for my first so I'm really looking forward to the skin to skin contact afterwards as well. I also love the idea of being given a time and date to plan towards. So much easier especially because I'd have to sort out childcare for my little boy.

Girl20, i'm only very early on, getting a bit a head of my self haha! :blush: Yeah you are more likely to have a bit of a tummy afterwards because they have to cut through muscle. If my memory (which isn't great haha) serves me correctly, I think it's about a year before c-section mummies can get a flat tummy back and just 12 weeks for vaginal. Don't take my word for it though! I discovered baking after my first (3 years) so I haven't gone back to my pre preg weight.

This thread has been SO helpful! I hadn't even thought about the difference in Emergency and Elective in terms of the procedure and actual recovery. I was put to sleep for my first so I'm really looking forward to the skin to skin contact afterwards as well. I also love the idea of being given a time and date to plan towards. So much easier especially because I'd have to sort out childcare for my little boy.

Girl20, i'm only very early on, getting a bit a head of my self haha! :blush: Yeah you are more likely to have a bit of a tummy afterwards because they have to cut through muscle. If my memory (which isn't great haha) serves me correctly, I think it's about a year before c-section mummies can get a flat tummy back and just 12 weeks for vaginal. Don't take my word for it though! I discovered baking after my first (3 years) so I haven't gone back to my pre preg weight.

Must say I was surprised that my recovery has been quicker this time, given that I have my toddler to look after too! He went to parents house the night before and stayed the night so we knew he was settled and he came in to meet his little brother in the evening. Re the stomach thing, mine was back and pretty fla quite soon after wards so it is achievable, but it's probably down to how your muscles are cut and wha exercises you do? I might just have been lucky! Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->