Electric blanket use during pregnancy!

C

cherryglitter

I know we're not supposed to go in jacuzzi's etc, but are electric blankets okay?

We have no heating in our bedroom [madness, I know!!!!] and it's freezing in there.
We use the blanket just to take the chill off. It's always turned off or onto a very low setting throughout the night. I don't think I could cope without it. :(

I never get uncomfortablely hot or anything. Just nice and cosy!! xx

I hope they are ok, im obsessed with mine! i think it should be ok as long as you dont overheat or get too hot...its not like they are radioactive or anything!!!! mmm toasty :)

I have to have mine on i am alergic to cold :p

I would think they would be fine to heat up the bed before getting in. I personally don't like them cause when I was kid mine caught fire while I was still in bed. Lucky my mum smelt the smoke, and woke me up, wouldn't want to think what could have happened.

I really like the woollen underlays, they are so snug and comfy and keep you lovely and warm. Maybe that is an option.

I read in What to expect when you are expecting that they are not good. But I think if it is not too high, it may be okay. I can't stop using mine but I turn it off part way through the night. I also enjoy having baths and they say they are not too good. Everything in moderation!

I have mine on every night! I'm talking about the ones that go under your sheet and warm your bed up! Tbh I think it's fine so long as you don't constantly have it on a dead high setting. I put mine on before I go to bed then when I'm in bed I switch it off or have it on 1. Love it!!!!! X

I use mine everynight but then again I also still use my spa heated to 38. Its no hotter than a bath and really relaxing. I think you just need to use common sense and listen to your body.

It you are getting hot, turn it off. X

Electric blankets aren't considered safe due to raising your body temperature too high and over heating the foetus potentially causing developmental problems. I love mine too and put mine on max before I go to bed to warm it up, I have added a load of extra blankets to retain the heat. I then switch it off (reluctantly) before I go to sleep. I just don't think it's worth the risk, despite waking up freezing sometimes... Googling it brings up quite a few results.

I read in What to expect when you are expecting that they are not good. But I think if it is not too high, it may be okay. I can't stop using mine but I turn it off part way through the night. I also enjoy having baths and they say they are not too good. Everything in moderation!

The reason they say they aren't a good idea is that they emit something like that of a microwave, and we all know standing in front of one is no good.:dohh:

Maybe try a hot water bottle, that's what I've been using :)

I write for a blog about home heating and was asked about electric blanket use.
I spent a while searching the net, which is when I found this forum, there really didn't seem to be any reliable conistant information. In the end I went directly to the medical research I compared 4 of the most respected studies on the topic.

If you want to read a summary of what I found it's here.
Electric Blankets and Pregnancy

To summarise my suummary, it depends what stage of pregnancy your at, for the first 7 weeks as there is a small amount of evidance that suggests increased risk of misscarridge due to the electro magnetic feild, it's also not a good idea to use them during the last month as there is a tiny amount of evidence suggesting it could stunt your babies growth.

The rest of the time as long as you use the blankets on low tempratures there doesn't seem to be any risk, infact the experiments showed a slightly decreased rate of miscarridge among mothers who used electric blankets during this time.

I realise this qustion was asked a while ago, but as this is one of the first pages that comes up when searching "pregnancy and electric blankets" I hope this helps someone

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->