electric or manual breast pump??

alice&bump

mummy to katie
Reaction score
omg am so confused by breast pumps!! whats best, electric or manual? i well dont have a clue! anyone got any recommendations??

I replied to a thread exactlly the same as this in the 'reviews' section with Danny2609 - we are also wondering if anyone knows which is best!!

No-one replied to that thread as yet so please someone give us the low down on pumping!!!

Thankyou
xx

manual if you just want to pump a few oz every now and then, but you need an electric one if you are going to do it more than once a day - and may i recommend avent isis iq!! it is brill.

I'm gonna get an electric as my OH wants to do a feed once a day and I might pump when we're going to be in public - not sure yet!

Originally I was going to go with an electric one as it seemed easier but after shopping around and reading reviews on both of them the manual ones seemed to rate higher. Unfortunately I have no personal experience on this as of yet...

omg am so confused by breast pumps!! whats best, electric or manual? i well dont have a clue! anyone got any recommendations??

Whereabouts are you babe coz here in Salford we have the Breastfeeding Project and you can hire or borrow breastpumps. Just don't want you wasting a load of money on an electric pump which you may or may not find right for you and then only using it a hanful of times:hissy:

Everyones different...I was really excited about using a well recommended double electric breastpump but it wasn't right for me and I couldn't get hardly any milk so I went out and bought an Avent Isis handpump for £18 from Asda and used it nearly to death:happydance:

Is it hard to pump milk? Do you have to use it as soon as it's expressed or can it be cooled and stored for a few hours?

Is it hard to pump milk? Do you have to use it as soon as it's expressed or can it be cooled and stored for a few hours?

I'm sure ive read somewhere it can be frozen too, they mention about storing it on here:

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/breastfeeding/pumpingexpressing/storingbreastmilkexpert/

x

You can store breast milk in the fridge or freezer. I believe it's good for about 3 months in the freezer and 72 hours in the fridge.
Most pumps come with storage bottles/bags.

It takes practice is what I'd say. the 1st few times you may get a dribble or an ounce but if you persist and express when you're relaxed etc then you'll be knocking up whole bottles in no time:happydance:

It's normal to have a "favourite" breast too that produces more milk than the other...try to express off the less productive breast a little more to even things out:happydance:

You can use immediately, store in the fridge or freeze for later use. check La Leche league website or something similar for up to date storage recommendation times as they seem to change the "rules" all the time:dohh:

I bought the tommy tippee one this weekend so going to give that a go!! i was told to buy manual but never given an actual reason why!!

x

Is it really common to have uneven breasts if u take too much milk out of one? I mean is it noticable? lol People will be saying 'god shes forgotton again and used the wrong one!'

Ive seen some bracelets you can use to remind you which breast to use next when breastfeeding/expressing - i fink i need one of those with my memory!!

Not uneven breasts....just that one often produces more than the other. I meant to even up the amount of milk they produce:rofl:

Although apparently most people have one booby bigger than the other...I have, you have to fit your bra for the biggest one:blush:

Is it really common to have uneven breasts if u take too much milk out of one? I mean is it noticable? lol People will be saying 'god shes forgotton again and used the wrong one!'

Ive seen some bracelets you can use to remind you which breast to use next when breastfeeding/expressing - i fink i need one of those with my memory!!

I'm going to tie a piece of ribbon onto my bra strap so I know what side I've just used :)

Also, don't try and express for the first few days. Your proper milk isn't through yet and I bet it'll be v. frustrating.

i think i'm gona go for the avent isis electric one, but am gona ask m/w on thurs. Hevz I suggested that to OH about hiring one, he didnt seem too keen on the idea, said we may as well just buy one. my mum's given me the money anyway lol!

and having spoken to OH about it, he informed me that he'd been reading up on it and that its better to get an electric, cos if you do it a lot then your hand gets sore with a manual! and he was telling me in mothercare which ones had the best reviews!!

I've just gone manual, and after watching other peoples breastmilk im glad i got the manual one, electric looks painful! although it probably really isnt.

I got the tommee tippee manuel one from asda on offer for £9.99

I'm getting the electric one.. madeala mini :)

my mum got me a manual one today from tk maxx, a tomme tippee one i think. luhweez, the electric ones did look quite scary lol!!

I used an electric one because of the carpul tunnel I had whilst pg with DS, i thought a manual one would begin to ache after a while. It's a bit of an odd sensation but as long as you don't look it's ok. Also with a manual one you have to actively pump whereas with an electric one you can let it get on with it while you watch tele or read. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->