electronic cigarettes

Raven24

mum
Reaction score
Ive been having a bit of a debate on facebook about this and wonder what everyone on here thought.
I personally think they should be regulated in the same way hat normal cigarettes are. Especially advertising.
What do you think?

If your talking about the ones that produce no toxins? Then no I don't think they should be regulated like normal cigarettes they are there to help people quit/cut down, there basically the same as a nicotine patch put in the shape of a cigarette to give people the same hand and mouth action.

I have no issue them being advertised, I would 100% rather people smoke them than real ones, so advertise all they like. I actually don't understand why you would feel they need regulated.

They give off no second hand smoke, so don't aft anyone else and the health
risks are much less severe, I don't really know much about them, my auntie used them to get off decades of smoking hand has been cigarette free for a few years now.

My worries with them are that no research has been done as to effectiveness and safety of them as a quitting tool.
Also they can be purchased online by anyone including children so to me if they are not advetised children are less likely to go searching online etc

My worries with them are that no research has been done as to effectiveness and safety of them as a quitting tool.
Also they can be purchased online by anyone including children so to me if they are not advetised children are less likely to go searching online etc

I can see your worries however i haven't seen age limitations on any patches and other stop smoking products. You can also buy these online and children shouldn't be able to buy anything online without an adult bank card so i see that as down to the parents responsibility in not allowing their children to buy things online.
Maybe more research needs to be done however if all they contain is the same as a patch/inhaler then i cant see them being any less effectiveness/harmful

Why are you saying there is no research? I've just done a quick google and a few come up, wiki lists several, not that it's all positive, many suggest king damage. The point is its better that than the alternative.

Vitamines etc are advertise and there isn't intensive research there either.

As I say my auntie quit using them after trying lots of others methods.

As to online it's says 18plus only to buy, so that applies to stores as for online, I suppose a child could steal a credit card etc but then it's a parents responbility to ensure the child is safe online etc, and if that's an issue that the child could steal a card and buy one than that relates to all online purchases, I.e. drink, knives etc.

I don't have a problem with them being advertised, imo it's much better than smoking cigarettes. Also they aren't necessarily a tool to quit. It's sort of an alternative. DH uses them now and I am so happy he switched with the baby coming. He has no plans to quit though but I'm ok with that.

the info i found was from the cancer research website which stated that there was no evidence to suggest that electronic cigarettes were a useful aid to quitting.
https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/ca...2013-01-17-Electronic-cigarette-claims-banned

i just find the fact that they are promoting them as an aid to quitting a bit wrong. they are a comapny and ultimatly they only care about making money and to me it just seems like people will end up being addicted to electronic cigarettes instead of real ones. and althought health wise that is better the person is still going to be addicted nicotine.

Unfortunately once you are addicted to something you will always be addicted. I quit smoking over 4 years ago when I became pregnant with DD1 and I still know now that I could quite easily start again.
The reason they are probably not as helpful as other products to help quit smoking is the person who is using them are not Monitored by a health profession when some of the other means you have to go see someone every week and a get a breath test done which can prove if you have been smoking therefore people are less Likly to cheat.

Yes this is a private business who is after money, but when it comes down to it is all about money the only reason the NHS help people to quit is because of the money it's cost to help is less then the money it's costs to treat those who are ill through smoking.

If we regulated every thing that made false claims or other, nothing would be on the market.

Sure they might not be an effective quitting tool for everybody, but neither is pretty much any quitting tool. Should everything designed for that purpose be banned unless it proves 100% effective? Some people find them useful for situations where they can't smoke, some use them to help cut down, some manage to quit.

It's like any alternative product, go in to Holland and Barret and look at the array of pills and potions which all claim to do something or other and have been proven to be little more than snake oil. Anyone who buys them without doing their own research, has only themselves to blame for wasting their money.

As for the "oooh, think of the children" line, this winds me up something chronic. If a child is buying these things off the internet, then the parents deserve a slap. There are much worse things a child can buy off the internet, parental controls are vital.

I would also question whether e-cigarettes are harmful to children? And if a child is buying them, aren't they just as likely to be buying the real thing too?

They don't cause the harm that real cigarettes do so I'm not sure why they should be governed by the same rules

Are you suggesting they should not be allowed to be advertise because the cancer research website says they are not proven as a useful aid for quitting?

To me they shouldnt be advertised the same way cigarettes are jot advertised because they are still cigarettes that are highly addictive just without the tobacco so i dont see why they shouldnt be subjrct to the same regulations as normal cigarettes

Because the addictive nature of cigarettes is not why they are banned from advertising, it is because of their overall harm.

The E-Cig I have has helped considerably to quit unlike patches etc.

Whilst the one I have does not contain the harmful toxins, it does contain nicotine so yes it would be harmful to a child if they got the hands on them. Ours are out of sight & we still go outside to use it. Our kids have never seen us smoke (cigs or e-cigs).

Should advertising it be banned? Erm no. The more it's advertised as an alternative to smoking the better imo.

To me, the whole hiding the cigarettes in the shop is daft imo. Kids don't start smoking because they are seen on the shelves with pretty packets. I think hiding them is going to make them a taboo and making something a taboo is going to attract kids more.

Its far better than the alternative and has helped my stepdad cut wayyyy down. :thumbup:

that might be the problem i dont actually know anyon who has tried them to be fair.

To me they shouldnt be advertised the same way cigarettes are jot advertised because they are still cigarettes that are highly addictive just without the tobacco so i dont see why they shouldnt be subjrct to the same regulations as normal cigarettes

But lots of things are addictive, alcohol, caffeine, and chocolate!!! Should be stop advertising tea because its addictive and not proven to do is any good?

https://www.ashscotland.org.uk/info...research/research-2012/e-cigarettes-2012.aspx

Research, I've Not read any. But I find limited studies showing help to qut, as well as research suggesting lung damage, but I doubt that is surprising, it's still expected as its sill nicotine.

The NHS don't condone e-cigs as a tool for quitting as they haven't gone through the same testing that nicotine replacement products (patches etc). They arebt regulated either so, literally, could have anything in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->