Elevated prolactin, anyone else?

hi Lauren
i agree with you cabrgoline cause headaches and nausea.but if you take it in night at sleeping time it will better. but i feel bromocritine give me more headaches instead of cabergoline.but my endo suggest brom is better for ttc.

Hello everyone, do you have a nice Christmas? Sure hope so :D

I got the result of MRI, which is good news, no tumor :happydance:

I asked the RE my prolactin level, she said the first test without fasting is 60, and the second test after fasting is 31.6, and the normal range is under 30. So I'm still higher than boarder line. She will check it again after my surgery in Feb, (my RE is doing a surgery on me to remove a growth in the uterus and check the possible endos in my left tube) If the prolactin is still high after the surgery, she will have to put me on meds. She also said diet, exercise, breasts exam, and stress could affect the prolactin level.

I've been googling about diet and prolactin, found out b6 and zinc could help lower prolactin level. Also low carb, low fat, low sugar, lots of fruit and veggies. So that is my goal before the surgery right now, try to eat healthy, maybe exercise a little bit each day, and try to relax. And also, I'm taking B50 complex, and zinc 50mg everyday. Hopefully that will help.

Hope this information helps. And happy new year!!! :flower:

Hello everyone, do you have a nice Christmas? Sure hope so :D

I got the result of MRI, which is good news, no tumor :happydance:

I asked the RE my prolactin level, she said the first test without fasting is 60, and the second test after fasting is 31.6, and the normal range is under 30. So I'm still higher than boarder line. She will check it again after my surgery in Feb, (my RE is doing a surgery on me to remove a growth in the uterus and check the possible endos in my left tube) If the prolactin is still high after the surgery, she will have to put me on meds. She also said diet, exercise, breasts exam, and stress could affect the prolactin level.

I've been googling about diet and prolactin, found out b6 and zinc could help lower prolactin level. Also low carb, low fat, low sugar, lots of fruit and veggies. So that is my goal before the surgery right now, try to eat healthy, maybe exercise a little bit each day, and try to relax. And also, I'm taking B50 complex, and zinc 50mg everyday. Hopefully that will help.

Hope this information helps. And happy new year!!! :flower:

Fantastic news with your MRI!!

Thanks so much for the advice, I don't get to see my FS again until March 29th, so I am thinking of ways in which I can lower my prolactin levels myself without medication! Interestingly enough, I was doing research yesterday that said that when you are having a blood test for prolactin, you are supposed to sit quietly for 30 minutes before the test, to try and be as relaxed as possible as stress affects it so much. Thats almost impossible for me as I am deathly terrified of needles, so that coupled with my stress at work could have caused increased levels that day!

I am increasing my daily exercise and have just ordered some zinc and vitamin B off of amazon for my new years, anti stress campaign!

:flower:

Hi Stephie,

Yeah, it is impossible for me to relax before the blood test either, I am also super terrified of needles too.

It seems like we have the same goal of lower the prolactin level naturally, let's keep each other posted, hope we both have good result in a few months. :)

Definitely want to try the natural way for as long as possible before any medication is needed.

Hopefully all of our lotions and potions will have a positive outcome, I will keep you posted (and do a bit of stalking :winkwink:) to see how you're getting on!

Steph :flower:

Stalk away, you are welcome to stalk my journal also. Do you have one?

Good luck to both of us!! We need to relax and be happy everyday :D

hi bullymom
good to hear about your mri report.its really great information for me to reduce prolectine level.
thanks and happy new year to you too.

Hey ladies just thought I'd come and give my input. I'm 23 OH is 38 we've been TTC for about 14 months with no success. After the year mark I went to my OBGYN, they did routine blood tests to see if anything was off and I had elevated prolactin. The first time I had it done the doctor didn't tell me to fast and it was in the 50's and then I went back a couple days later with fasting and it was in the 30's. Still to high! I think the range is about 5-25 or something like that!

Well after the results came back my OBGYN referred me to a FS and I've been seeing him since September. He is GREAT! He sent me right away for an MRI of my brain and found that I did have a adenoma on my pituitary gland causing my high levels. He put me on cabergoline and I've been on it for 7 weeks ... this Friday will be 8 weeks. I'm only on .25mg every friday since my levels are so low and I have to say ... I didn't have any side effects ... I do have them if I don't eat when I take the meds but if you eat with them and take them at night it's really not bad at all!!! I was a wreck when I found out I had to take them because I'm against medicine really ... but I really want a baby so I'm doing what I need to do.

Also, about ovulation ... if you look at my charts I was also ovulating every period ... or that's what my BBT and OPK's told me and I don't have leakage through my nipples and I always get a period every month and they're pretty much spot on every month. Sometimes I am late about 10 days but that's maybe twice a year. I thought the same thing a lot of you are thinking ... like if I'm ovulating and getting a period then there's nothing wrong but my FS explained to me that if your prolactin is too high it can cause a weak ovulation ... like you don't get a big enough surge to push the egg out and you can also release an egg that isn't mature enough or is too mature .... it's very complicated!

He also told me that prolacin suppresses progesterone and you need a good progesterone level to keep a pregnancy and to even obtain one!

I'm supposed to be hearing back from my doctor today about my prolactin level since I got blood drawn on the 3rd to check how it's doing since being on the medication. I've already experienced a difference in my cycles ... i used to have about 3 -4 day periods but the last cycle I had it for 6 days ... I don't know if it's good or bad but I'm seeing changes in myself so I'm pretty sure it's working!

Well here's to having good prolactin levels and getting our BFP's!

Sorry it's so long there is just a lot of information about all of this stuff!

Good luck ladies!

Hello ashknowsbest,

Thanks for your input. My RE said the same thing, higher prolactin could make you O not property. You explained it really well. :D

I looked at your charts, they are kind of similar to mine, mine showed O, but I don't have a huge temp surge after O like a lot other charts I've seen.

Good luck to you too :)

Well here's an update....

after being on cabergoline for 7 weeks I got a call from my RE and he said my level is 1.6! It used to be at 50 without fasting and 30 with fasting! So that's GREAT and he said if I'm not preggo either this month or next month to come in for a consultation to discuss what we can do next!

:happydance: That is a great news!

Hope you get your BFP soon!

:dust:

Me too!! Thanks!! I'll keep you guys posted.

hi ashknowbest
thanks .you really give me a hope that prolectine may be down by medicine.i had prolectinoma of 6mm dignosed in 2006.since that i taking bromocriptine 10mg daily.but 0prolectine remain 60 or more.now my endo switch off bromocriptine and start cabergoline .5mg.i hope it will give some change.

I think you will see change :) just eat with the medicine and take it at night to limit side effects. I normally take mine with dinner and then go to sleep an hour and a half or so after and I'm fine :) good luck!

Does anyone know if it is safe to conceive while on cabergoline? My FS told me to still be actively trying while I am taking the meds, but I have read online that there has been no studies on the effect of cabergoline for a baby just conceived.

What have your doctors said to you?

My doctor told me to keep taking the dostinex (cabergoline) until i conceive and as soon as I find out to stop taking it.

You don't need low prolactin while pregnant ... your prolactin actually naturally goes up when you're pregnant to get your body reading for breastfeeding. So, no there hasn't been much study but my doctor is very confident that it's fine once I get pregnant to stop taking it. It won't have effect on the baby since i'm not taking it while the fetus is growing!

my endo also advice to stop cabergolin as soon as i conceive.before it all i. my pregnacy i took bromocriptine and miscarried all time.so my new endo advice to stop it although not sure bromicriptine of high prolectine is reson of my losses even my endo also not sure.lets see what happen next.

I'm on the meds for initially 3 months and then I go back to see the consultant and have my levels reviewed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->