Elf on the shelf 2022

Babybump87

Reaction score
Soo it’s so close now to the darling elves arrival! :xmas13:. My kids absolutely love this each year but my god it’s hard work!

So how is your elf arriving this year ? Ours usually comes in the 1 December box but I am thinking of doing them a balloon or balloon box .

Ideas welcome for its arrival and pics of what your elf is getting upto during December !

Ours will bring the advent calendars. My DD hasn't believed for a few years now so we just do it for DS but he never seems very entertained by the whole thing!

Ours will arrive 1st December usually with advent calendars and PJs

I bought the elf cards again from Porky penguin. Haven't even looked at this years yet...but they're really handy.

I bought an elf kit to help this year. Ours brings a December 1st box with advent calendars and books but I still don't have the boxes or half the items to put in them.

Ours isn't. Thomas has specifically asked for Buddy not to come back lmao

Ours bring the calendars and an invite to a special elf breakfast at the weekend! I’ve also bought some cards off porky penguin to help!!!

Ours normally bring the advent calenders but Seth had seen the calenders already so they won't this year. I may just shove them in the tree with a "we're back" sign if it's up then. I'm struggling for time. I've not made any plans this year and think I'll just be making it up on the spot

I bought some elf cereal in sainsburys so they will arrive with that

Our Elf appears and the kids notice because the box that she lives in along with her book appears on the bookcase. I have two kids who know she isn't 'real', the 3rd suspects but hasn't said outright she knows, and the 4th still believes. But all four kids love to see what shenanigans the Elf gets up to each night so we'll likely keep doing it even once the littlest knows the truth. (Honestly, I think I sometimes have more fun with it than they do. :haha:)

Our elf used to bring advent calendars and little treats every day but I got tired of doing a daily treat so now she brings the kids an 'activity advent calendar' and she'll be found doing something related to that day's activity. How I do this is simple. I found a gift box shaped like a mailbox and the elf leaves a note in it for the kids with that day's activity. The kids love to find her first and see if they can guess the activity before they read the note. Examples of what I mean: If we're going to go take a drive through town to check out the Christmas lights/displays, the elf will be found on the bookshelf 'driving' the girls' doll car past the Christmas houses that I've stuck little sticker jewels to (they look like Christmas lights but come off without damaging the paint). If we're going to make Christmas cookies, the elf will be found sitting in a mixing bowl on the counter with the rolling pin, cookie recipe, and cookie cutters set next to it. I like doing this because it's less shopping for me and more 'doing' for the kids. We're big on giving 'experiences' vs. 'things' so this works right along that line of thought. To help me stay sane, I write up a list of activities, jot down ideas for what the Elf will be doing as the hint' for each one (pinterest helps alot) and tuck it in my Elf on the Shelf storage bin so when it's time for her to come visit again, the list is already there. I usually try to do this around Thanksgiving if I haven't done it before then and our Elf appears anytime after Turkey Day is done. (She's come as early as Black Friday and as late as December 2nd. She told the kids she 'missed her flight' but really Mom forgot what day it was...:rofl:)

The other thing we're going to do this year that we just started last year is make the Elf her own little house. The kids did this for the first time last year and it turned out so cute. They used cardboard and hot glue to make the house, walls, floors, stairs, and furniture and decorated it with construction paper, paint, and crayons. They kept adding to it too and by the end of the week, our elf had a 2 story, 2 bedroom/1 bath, fully furnished house complete with an outdoor sauna, swimming pool, and hot tub. (If Santa pays that well, maybe I should become an Elf on the Shelf, eh? :winkwink:) They loved seeing what the Elf added to it too. Our elf has her own Christmas tree that appears the day we go cut our Christmas tree and set it up so they were thrilled to see that appear in the Elf House living room. She also has a paper fireplace and a few presents so those showed up one day too. She stuck a self-portrait on the mantle, chopped 'wood' (cardboard) for the fire another day, decorated her tree, and hung curtains too. The kids loved it all, even my big kids who know it's Mom and Dad doing all this stuff.

[Note-if you do the Elf House thing, a tip is alot of Barbie furniture/accessories are also Elf sized. Our Elf has 'borrowed' the Barbie doll bed a few times over the years when she needs a good snooze and last year, she snitched some of their cookies, pajamas, and chairs.]

Oh I love this idea. We don't have any barbie now but could have covered the furniture in wrapping paper. Amazing idea and so creative.

I need to sort advent calendars. I normally do chocolate ones but Dd1 has made her own wooden one from the works and claims only she is allowed the sweets (meanie) so I need to decide what to do with dd2. She did make a wooden box for the elf so maybe I'll pop a treat in that everyday for her.
I also need to get the Porky Penguin cards out and see what props we need. I feel like I'm running out of time it's crazy!!

I haven't got PJS yet I have some for Christmas eve but that's for all of us.

What do your elves bring on 1st?
I'm thinking just the calendars this year.....but interested in ideas.

Christmas eve is usually pjs, selection box, hot chocolate cone, reindeer food etc.

Our Elf appears and the kids notice because the box that she lives in along with her book appears on the bookcase. I have two kids who know she isn't 'real', the 3rd suspects but hasn't said outright she knows, and the 4th still believes. But all four kids love to see what shenanigans the Elf gets up to each night so we'll likely keep doing it even once the littlest knows the truth. (Honestly, I think I sometimes have more fun with it than they do. :haha:)

Our elf used to bring advent calendars and little treats every day but I got tired of doing a daily treat so now she brings the kids an 'activity advent calendar' and she'll be found doing something related to that day's activity. How I do this is simple. I found a gift box shaped like a mailbox and the elf leaves a note in it for the kids with that day's activity. The kids love to find her first and see if they can guess the activity before they read the note. Examples of what I mean: If we're going to go take a drive through town to check out the Christmas lights/displays, the elf will be found on the bookshelf 'driving' the girls' doll car past the Christmas houses that I've stuck little sticker jewels to (they look like Christmas lights but come off without damaging the paint). If we're going to make Christmas cookies, the elf will be found sitting in a mixing bowl on the counter with the rolling pin, cookie recipe, and cookie cutters set next to it. I like doing this because it's less shopping for me and more 'doing' for the kids. We're big on giving 'experiences' vs. 'things' so this works right along that line of thought. To help me stay sane, I write up a list of activities, jot down ideas for what the Elf will be doing as the hint' for each one (pinterest helps alot) and tuck it in my Elf on the Shelf storage bin so when it's time for her to come visit again, the list is already there. I usually try to do this around Thanksgiving if I haven't done it before then and our Elf appears anytime after Turkey Day is done. (She's come as early as Black Friday and as late as December 2nd. She told the kids she 'missed her flight' but really Mom forgot what day it was...:rofl:)

The other thing we're going to do this year that we just started last year is make the Elf her own little house. The kids did this for the first time last year and it turned out so cute. They used cardboard and hot glue to make the house, walls, floors, stairs, and furniture and decorated it with construction paper, paint, and crayons. They kept adding to it too and by the end of the week, our elf had a 2 story, 2 bedroom/1 bath, fully furnished house complete with an outdoor sauna, swimming pool, and hot tub. (If Santa pays that well, maybe I should become an Elf on the Shelf, eh? :winkwink:) They loved seeing what the Elf added to it too. Our elf has her own Christmas tree that appears the day we go cut our Christmas tree and set it up so they were thrilled to see that appear in the Elf House living room. She also has a paper fireplace and a few presents so those showed up one day too. She stuck a self-portrait on the mantle, chopped 'wood' (cardboard) for the fire another day, decorated her tree, and hung curtains too. The kids loved it all, even my big kids who know it's Mom and Dad doing all this stuff.

[Note-if you do the Elf House thing, a tip is alot of Barbie furniture/accessories are also Elf sized. Our Elf has 'borrowed' the Barbie doll bed a few times over the years when she needs a good snooze and last year, she snitched some of their cookies, pajamas, and chairs.]
Wow love your post ! Such good ideas xx

My kids are older and all of them know about the elf but my youngest (9) still likes the antics. It may be her last year of wanting it so I’ll make the most of it lol

They will bring the advent calendars (all my kids get calendars even the 18 yr old lol) also will bring a North Pole breakfast with a small wrapped gift.

Babybump87-I can't claim credit for anything but encouraging the kids to do the elf house this year. They dreamed that up last year all on their own and it was so fun to see how into it they got. This year's house is currently 5 rooms, 2 stories, and has been wallpapered, carpeted, and furnished. I saw a ladder being built yesterday so not sure what the plan is for that. Maybe a treehouse? But using the doll furniture was an idea I got from my sister and she follows some Instagrams that have loads of ideas.

I'm still working on my activity list for this year and I'm running out of time so I've got to finish that up but my favorite activity for this year is surprising the kids with solar powered Christmas lights we bought for our outdoor 'Christmas' tree. We have the perfect sized pine tree along our driveway and we've always talked about putting lights on it. But it's too far from the house to plug lights in without needed several extension cords so we looked into solar powered lights. They weren't in stock anywhere close and were rather expensive so we didn't get any. But DH and I went shopping the other night and stopped at a store that carried them. We got enough lights to do that tree and it only cost $40. The Elf is going to bring the lights in a few weeks so the kids can decorate that tree and I can't wait to see their reaction when they realize they are solar powered lights. Best part is I can get more of these lights at a store closer to me now and if these ones work well enough, we're going to invest in a few more sets so we can decorate a few more trees in the yard and possible along part of our fence.

I am so unorganised for the elf’s arrival.

What the hell am I gonna do with 4 elves all month hahaha. One is getting locked up that’s for sure .

good luck everyone !

I am so unorganised for the elf’s arrival.

What the hell am I gonna do with 4 elves all month hahaha. One is getting locked up that’s for sure .

good luck everyone !

I’m feeling very out of ideas. I’m hoping next year Harvey doesn’t believe so I can stop haha! this Will be year 8 of doing them!

I’m feeling very out of ideas. I’m hoping next year Harvey doesn’t believe so I can stop haha! this Will be year 8 of doing them!
This is our 5th year of doing it. Ive still many years with my youngest kids being 3 and 6 months!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->