Elf on the shelf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mum22ttc#3

Mum of 3
Reaction score
Can someone tell me all about it please?

We have never done it, my kids are 10, 6, 4 and 8 months, is it too late to start? If not how do I go about starting it?

Also where do you all get the elfs and story books from?

Sorry for all the questions but am interested in starting this, this year :)

Stalking this as would too like to know x

Mine are 8, 6, 4 and 10 months and I'm wondering the same about it being too late. The littlest one obviously wouldn't know any different but the 8 and 6 year old may wonder why this year the elf has suddenly decided to visit. Although it looks quite fun.

Last year DS3 dropped a toy and went to get it from under the sofa, he said he could see eyes under there so I said someone must have knocked another toy under there and he said "or maybe its an ELF!!!" so we went with that.
I think you can get the book and elf from a few places like The Works, Amazon and Ebay but haven't looked myself.

We have had our elf - Errol - visit us the last couple of years, and it's great fun. I see no reason you couldn't start any time - when our elf arrives he brings a letter from Father Christmas explaining why he is here, so you could explain it that way. Personally, I find the idea of the elf spying and reporting back to FC a bit creepy, so we say Errol has been a bit mischievous and has come so the children can show him how to behave.

He arrives on 1st december, and hangs and fills the stocking advent garland I crocheted. Then each night he gets up to something - hiding somewhere (like in the christmas tree, on the curtain pole); christmas themed crafts (making paper snowflakes, paper chains, colouring pages printed from the internet - he starts the project and leaves supplies for the children to do it, too); playing with the other toys (riding in a car / on a train, forming a band with the teddies, cooking in the play kitchen); or getting up to mischief (cotton wool ball snowball fights, stealing biscuits from the jar, hanging underwear on the christmas tree). Occasionally he brings a little present, like a christmas book or DVD. This year I really want to have him borrow the camera and put a memory card full of 'selfies' on the digital photo frame.

I got our elf from the local garden centre - he was really meant as a decoration, so after the first year he was a bit tatty, so I crocheted a new one, but I couldn't get his head right, and couldn't bring myself to get rid of the original, so he came again the next year. Would recommend getting one that's intended as a toy if you want to do it every year. Thinking about seeing if I can get the Gund one this year, you need to get it early, though, as it sells out fast.

We don't really follow the original traditions, but do it our way, to suit our family. The most important thing is to have fun, and Hayden absolutely loves it, and hopefully Zoe will, too, this year. The main problem comes when it's time for Errol to leave - we sit him by the fire on Christmas eve, with FC's mince pie etc, and both year's Hayden has been upset that he's leaving. The first year, when we explained what would happen, he grabbed the elf, and ran off shouting 'No! My Errol!'

Highly recommend it, have fun x

We got the gund peppermint elf. We didn't get the book to go with it, but he arrives on 1st December in the morning with a few gifts off Santa, including their advent calendars, and this year I am going to do the North Pole breakfast too!!

We got our elf on the shelf from the bookdepository.com, it's usually up around £30 but I kept checking back and got it for £19, and it's the original elf with the presentation box and story book. My LO was only just one last year, and will only just be two this year, so maybe still too young, but we intend to introduce him as a guest from Santa who will arrive on December 1st and bring the advent calendar. He will be found in a different place every morning just so it's fun for LO to play looking for him and seeing where he's got to. Then I'll say that he hitches a ride back with Santa on his sleigh when Santa delivers the presents.

I'm going to start doing the elf thing this year too. Only with a "kindness elf" twist. Our elf will visit with maybe a present for the girls and with a note that he/she came from Santa to help spread Christmas cheer. Each day the elf will have a different activity for the girls to do such as do something nice for a neighbor, donate a toy, give hugs day, make a gift for someone, etc. Something that enforces the idea of charity and kindness. He'll leave with Santa on Christmas Eve. I'm just going to try and find a cute toy elf and I'm not going to bother with the book to go with it or anything.

I think it's a great idea although people went mad last year (from what i can tell) and the prices just shot up! I'm looking on the book depository now and it's 30 quid! Poxy little thing lol. Baarrrrhumbug hahaha :)

Thanks all :)

My mum already gets advent calendars for the girls so was thinking that maybe we could adopt him and he could maybe bring along a book advent, which I was already thinking of doing?

Im thinking that maybe I will just tell my 10 year old (11 next month) the truth as tbh I'm not really sure she believes in Santa so can't really see her buying this? I know that because it is 'our' secret though that she will keep it.

We have Carlos (hubby named him lol) the Elf come on Dec. 1st and he brings the advent calendar and Colin's Dec 1st bag. He also brings little activities to do throughout December.

I'm going to start doing the elf thing this year too. Only with a "kindness elf" twist. Our elf will visit with maybe a present for the girls and with a note that he/she came from Santa to help spread Christmas cheer. Each day the elf will have a different activity for the girls to do such as do something nice for a neighbor, donate a toy, give hugs day, make a gift for someone, etc. Something that enforces the idea of charity and kindness. He'll leave with Santa on Christmas Eve. I'm just going to try and find a cute toy elf and I'm not going to bother with the book to go with it or anything.

That's a really nice idea :)

I'm going to get one this year but not quite sure what my take on it will be. Last year a few ladies on here said they'd managed to find toy elves at the card factory for just a couple of pounds so I'm hoping they have them again this year as I don't want to pay for a "proper" one

I think we will start doing the elf on the shelf this year as I think my LO is at an age where she would really enjoy it now. I'll have to start looking for an elf to buy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"