Emergency transfer UK - what to do with the kids?

ChrissiK

Reaction score
Dear all,

We recently moved and have no friends or family in the area.
I am starting to worry about what would happen in an emergency case, if I need a transfer to a hospital (most likely then a c-section - I had two natural quick births so far).

Can I take the kids to the hospital with me? Can they ride in the ambulance?
I guess that would mean my husband misses the birth!?

They are 9 and 7, so we can't leave then alone at home...

Thanks for any suggestions!

Contact a local nurseries and other mothers via school and find a few registered childminders, do your best to engage other mums in the area who could do a few hours just in case...you'll be surprised how supportive people can be.

Not sure how many people could be in the ambulance, but if you can get them to hospital then staff would keep them safe even though it isnt ideal.

You have a few weeks to make some connections yet. Get out to bumps and babes groups or breastfeeding groups perhaps. See if there's anything going on at your children's centre or your kids school maybe? Not sure what your financial situation is but you may be eligible for help funding a doula who could get to know your children in advance and be there to do practical things at home with them (take to school, make meals etc) to free uo your hubby to be your primary support while you're labouring and double up as their carer at home in the unlikely event of a transfer so your hubby can go with you and you know they are ok. Many doulas are CRB checked too so you can ensure its someone you can entrust your children with x

Im struggling with this too.
Just moved and don't know anyone.
Aliyah is only 17 months so will deffo need someone with her at all times. The only person it can be is my OH. I am hoping for a home birth and hoping my mum and nan make it down in time. They are coming in a cab when my contractions start but its 2 1/2 hours away.

Could your family maybe try doing the same sort of thing?

Chrissi, I am not having a home birth but am in a similar situation. I started a thread on it in 2nd tri about a month ago and most people told me I would not be allowed to take ds1 to hospital with me.

However, I asked my consultant and she said that of course my child can come until someone is able to come and look after him (which will take over two hours). I am assuming it would be the same for you and for the ambulance journey if you were alone. If OH is there then I expect they would need to follow in the car?

When I think about it, it would be unethical of the hospital staff to turn around and say no you have to leave your children on their own or have no maternal care - we worry ourselves about so many things and I am sure it will all be fine :) xx

Thank you for the doula/child minder suggestion, I will look into that!

As for any family coming - they are all on a different continent and working, so they won't be able to come...

Im not sure if they are all over the country or not (pretty sure the whole country as they are government schemes) but in manchester we have Sure Start centers which are open to everyone with or expecting children. They have loads of childminders that advertise there, they also have all sorts of groups (breast feeding/ baby massage etc) for mums. I bet they would have advice even if a tempory childminder isnt suitable. You may have even been to one of the centers already as lots of midwives now work for them and I think I got a leaflet in my maternity pack. xoxoxo

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->