Employment Law.

XKatX

Reaction score
Anyone an expert?!

I just need someone I can PM really. I'm due to go back to work, but the hours there are bloody crazy. When I was there before, you'd start at say 7.30, then be due to finish at 5. Sometimes I wouldn't get out until gone 8. They just add cases (I work in a private hospital in theatres) without any warning. I could leave work on Friday knowing I had 4 cases on Saturday, so would be done by 2. Then I'd get in and there would suddenly be 6, so wouldn't finish until late afternoon/evening. Shifts are changed all the time and it's just a nightmare. I was fine about it when I didn't have a family and we barely coped when Oliver was small. But now I have the 2 of them, it just isn't going to work. My husbands job has changed since then and he can't just walk out if I'm stuck there. So I don't know where I stand with them. Can I ask for set days? Just days and no evenings? No weekends? I just don't know :shrug:

I had a meeting with my manager last week and when I said roughly what I needed, she said that she can't be seen to be doing that, as it may upset the other staff! She then went on to say that if she did fulfill my requests, then I would have to give her something in return i.e working 1in3 Saturdays, so it didn't look like favoritism. Surely that's wrong?! How far can I push it while staying reasonable and making sure I get what is best for my family? I'm considering leaving, but I built that place up from scratch with my old manager (I was the project lead for the new theatre which raised the hospital from the ashes!), so don't want to go with out a fight.

Sorry for the ramble - can anyone help? (If you understood any of that!!)

I think they are required by law to consider your request and make reasonable changes where possible. If they say no it should be in writing and give a clear explanation of why, e.g. service provision.

Unfortunately for you they don't have to accommodate your family. It would be unfair to everyone else and since you agreed the terms when you started the job and they have kept theirs they can make you do so too.

It sounds like they're at least trying to meet you part way. Would 1 Sat in 3 be so bad if you could have a day job the rest of the time?

what type of contract do you have currently? i presume a fixed no of hours/ days? as a parent you have the right to apply for flexible working (and nhs should have well established policies/procedures). you are well within your rights to stick to tour contracted irrepective if the no of cases you hav. how do other parents do
it where you are?

sorry didnt spot the 'private' hospital - do you have a hr dept / policies etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->