emptying the urine sample

Wriggley

Reaction score
Haha!

such a strange post but anyways i just wanted too see what other peoples midwifes do -

when ever i have a hospital appointment i have to take a wee sample with me and they always empty it and hand me back the same bottle but empty and rinsed out.

My midwife always just gives me the bottle back full of pee lol!

Dont bother me at all lol just find it a bit weird haha

so to everyone else does your midwife empty your wee out before giving you the bottle back?

Neither - I never get given the bottle back. My midwife disposes of it for me.

My midwife just throws it straight into the bin! I work in healthcare and would never dream of giving the patient back a used sample container! The inside should be sterile surely to get an accurate result! Same at my hospital, I give them my sample and don't see it again as it goes into the bin once tested. Xx

Eta- I voted no as my midwife doesn't empty it just throws it away although mayb I shouldn't have voted either as I seem to have answered wrong lol xx

Lol I know in the trust I work we give them back full of urine because we aren't allowed to empty them down the sink :) xx

We use disposable cups so she dips the strips, puts it in the machine for the tests and while it's doing that she dumps it out and throws the cup away

There is only a sink in the room and you can't tip it down the sink

I never get handed it back! My midwife tests it whilst a trainee midwife feels my tummy etc. I presume she will dispose of if after I've gone.

In the states we pee at the office in a throw away cup. Like at my office there this little door in the bathroom that you put it in and the ladies open it on the other side to grab the sample

My midwife throws it away in the bin but last time I saw a different one and she asked me if I minded if she gave it me back to use again, so she did lol with the wee in it! x

My OB just has cups to give a sample when I get there and they dispose of it. When I went to a MW they had cups also but you tested it with the strips on your own, disposed if it, and notified the nurse if anything showed up.

I am a neither as well as it gets thrown out for me :flower: i do a sample there in a cup they supply.. :) (canada)

I have to take my wee with me, she tips it down the sink, rinses out the pot and gives me it back!

In this area and in a lot of London they are super paranoid about this stuff. Here you have to open the sample pot for the midwife, she checks it with the test strip with gloves on, closes it with gloves on and hands it back to you. In the hospital they bin it in one of the bins with a yellow 'biohazard' bag. They are really stringent when it comes to bloods as well midwives and nurses are no longer allowed to take blood it has to be a phlebotomist and only very few clinics and centres are authorised to take blood. Getting my 28 week bloods done was a nightmare xx

Ha this is funny!!!
I get a new sample pot each time I go and she puts old one down sink x

I thought my midwife was really weird for doing this! She always gives it back to me still full. I'm glad to hear she's not the only one who does this :haha: I'm sure it can't matter too much if so many midwives do it :)

I've had both happen, been given it back and also where they empty it. I think the whole urine sample situation needs to be reconsidered in Ireland in general - the bottles are tiny. I would love to see any woman, let alone a heavily pregnant one, actually manage to only pee in the bottle. The bottles are nice and big in Canada ( or were the last time I peed in one there) and I just think that is so much nicer:) ewwww, pee bottles are awful here!

Also, my gp gives it back to me so I can reuse it - vile!!!!

Here they don't even give you any sample bottles you have to buy your own! Luckily I got ten for about £4 from eBay xx

Hospital appointments- i get my emptied one back.
Midwife- she just hands it back with it still in :growlmad: .
Kinda grossed me out initially, but used to it now.

I was more suprised when i was told i had to keep the bottle! So i steralise it at home.
I got a new one issued a couple of weeks ago- I was so pleased lol :happydance: :haha:

I wish we had cups- i don't know about anyone else, but peeing into a bottle is not easy lol :rain:

Ew no way!!!

My midwife disposes of the whole bottle (including wee) and I get a new bottle every time!

I'd be having a word!

(as for the peeing into the bottle......I've invested in a cheap small jug labelled WEE, and I pee into that and then just fill up my mini bottle....no spills!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->