Engorgement

lauren-kate

Reaction score
Hey, I'm not breastfeeding as Ryan is completely not interested, but I am expressing all his feeds. I express every 3-4 hours, but my boobs get really really painful and hard inbetween expressing when they're full. Does anyone know any ways to stop them hurting?? xx

Gosh i wish i knew the answer to that one also..then i wouldnt of stopped BF :( XXX

Keep offering the breast, babies need to learn how to take it. My sister's son took 4 days to finally feed from her. For engorgement you just have to wait it out, it'll go down in a couple of days. I've been told that Savoy Cabbage leaves in the bra, warm teabags, warm/hot flannels, letting the shower run on your breasts can all help with the discomfort. The best thing though is for the baby to feed, and keep feeding until your milk supply is established.

If they are swollen try applying an ice pack wrapped in a towel onto your breasts about 10 mins before you express. The cold is supposed to help lessen the swelling. Maybe just try massaging them too whenever you have a free hand. I don't really have any other suggestions sorry

I used cabbage leaves with my first. Worked like a charm.

What about expressing every 2 hours instead for half the time? That way your breast are not completely drained for so long maybe? I don't know, just an idea really...

Every one tells you that the baby naturall latches on - but its not true the baby as well as your self need to learn how to breastfeed! its not easy and certainly didnt come naturally to me or my son, i had to start him off on nipple shields then after a couple of weeks i managed to chuck them away.

Doesnt sound like your hv or midwife have been very helpful.

I had to cup feed ewan for the first few days as he was not interested in latching on, but he had mild jaundice so was more interested in sleeping.
then after a week he took interest and wanted feeding there then now or if not sooner!! the nipple sheidls were a god send as he couldnt always get latched on properly!

I would try expressing more often. you may find that the milk will start to decrease with expressing as it doesnt empty your boobs as much as baby does.

There is an excellent book about bf'in called how to breastfeed and what if i can't foudn it very useful

I used cabbage leaves with my first. Worked like a charm.

I heard 'bout this a lot!

as well running hot water over the breast and massaging the ducts will help to release milk and ease engorgement (worked with me) :hi:

I would try not to express more as you will start to produce more (my MW told me) Mine are the same at the mo between feeds and pressure and cold things help me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->