Epi & child birth ...Am I mad girls?

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
So I've half decided I will not have an epi with this baby! If Im in long labour again and can I may change my mind... its not off the list but I *hate* the thought of being inactive whist it wears off and that wee bag thing LOL

Am I mad? :rofl:

I don't think you're mad! Then again I'm very against having drugs in my body. I won't even take paracetamol unless I really need it lol :)

You can always change your mind in labour if you feel you need it. I've never had one, but I was scared of needing one. I was scared of losing sensation, not feeling like I was in proper labour, being catherised, not being 100% with it after labour, etc I think it's because I got told a bunch of horror stories abut epis though! :)

haha just a little!! I couldn't use my legs at all... especially my left I couldn't move across the bed for them to take me on a stretcher to my room (since I couldn't walk) I had to kick my left leg across the ned to move it... it was awful, but I am not sure I would opt out of the epi! that's just me though... Good luck-I can't believe your 30 weeks now, it still seems like yesterday when I saw you were pregnant :)

Good luck!!! I hope you dont need it.

When I had mine I did not have a tonne of the drug, I still had good control of everything and still felt contractions to push. I also was able to get up right after the birth and placenta etc was delivered. I also was able to pee after. I didnt need the catheter bag. I also walked to the shower and ate etc about an hour after I gave birth.

Maybe if you do need it again you can tell them not to drug you so much?

umm yes! :rofl: But I'm not the best person to ask as I'm still trying to get over Hannah's birth :rofl: :rofl:

BTW, I also did not tear, or need any other assistance during labour.

I don't think you're mad! Then again I'm very against having drugs in my body. I won't even take paracetamol unless I really need it lol :)

You can always change your mind in labour if you feel you need it. I've never had one, but I was scared of needing one. I was scared of losing sensation, not feeling like I was in proper labour, being catherised, not being 100% with it after labour, etc I think it's because I got told a bunch of horror stories abut epis though! :)

With Caitlin I was emotionally and mentally wrecked in every sense from the beginning every day I thought would be the last with my history so when midnight hit I was shattered and my waters went I went into panic mode - I was up for around 36 hours (23 of labour) I was drained in every way so I had told OH not sure but if I wasnt yer ...so I did.

I really felt the birth though I see some people say they hardly felt it but I did and I'm thinking did I or is that 100 times worse ...SC thinks I was given it too early as well but afterwards I hated the restriction for sure.

I've had a bad back since too - related or not who knows and OH said if it was sometimes the cure is what caused it lol Dunno but I am a wimp however I'm thinking this time has been so much more calmer and I'm calmer about the birth.

Did you have gas and air or nothing?

Hope you can make it through without! Reading some of the birth stories of women who have managed without just amazes me. And in some ways I wish I had but there are a lot of things I wish had gone differently during my labor.

Im like you wobbles, I dont know how some women say they do not feel the pain. I had not slept in days because of the pains when I layed down, and I was in active labour for a long time too. The pain was so bad I was nearly vomitting, theres no way I could have made it without the epi.

With Caitlin I was emotionally and mentally wrecked in every sense from the beginning every day I thought would be the last with my history so when midnight hit I was shattered and my waters went I went into panic mode - I was up for around 36 hours (23 of labour) I was drained in every way so I had told OH not sure but if I wasnt yer ...so I did.

I really felt the birth though I see some people say they hardly felt it but I did and I'm thinking did I or is that 100 times worse ...SC thinks I was given it too early as well but afterwards I hated the restriction for sure.

I've had a bad back since too - related or not who knows and OH said if it was sometimes the cure is what caused it lol Dunno but I am a wimp however I'm thinking this time has been so much more calmer and I'm calmer about the birth.

Did you have gas and air or nothing?

:hugs: That sounds really difficult. Especially being up for so long. You must have been so drained. It must have made it harder for you. I've heard that back problems can happen due to epis but then again I suppose you never really know.

I had a TENS machine up to 10cm, then gas and air for pushing. I didn't really notice a difference with the gas and air though, and only used it for about 15mins.

I think you may as well keep your options open. It's good that you're thinking about it in advance though. Does your hospital have a TENS machine you could use? I don't know how effective they are, but I used mine for most of the labour and I was too afraid to turn it off in case it was working really well lol.

I don't think you are mad at all, but I wanted a homebirth and even though I failed, I will still plan a homebirth with my next one.

I'd love a home birth Samantha ...decided to leave that option though dunno why actually. Good luck with when the time comes x

Rafswife - do you think the tens works? lol I think its something I may look into now as well. I will keep the option as an if probbaly be stronger willed this time but would seriously prefer to go in with the no no in mind.

I'd love a home birth Samantha ...decided to leave that option though dunno why actually. Good luck with when the time comes x

Rafswife - do you think the tens works? lol I think its something I may look into now as well. I will keep the option as an if probbaly be stronger willed this time but would seriously prefer to go in with the no no in mind.

I think it did and I would defiitly use one again. I liked being able to control how strong it was too. I had one on for about 14 hours and never went near the highest setting, so you can whack it up quite high. Its something thats works over time though, so even if at first you don't notice a difference it's worth keeping on.

What one did you have?

Do you just use it on the day or before labour? :blush:

OMG why are we all up :rofl: (those in UK that is)

I'm trying to get Niamh to sleep, so am typing one handed :rofl:

I used one from the hospital. I'll have a look online and see if I can find one similar for you. I was induced at 7pm, and by 3am I wasn't coping well at all so that's when I stuck it on and it stayed on until I gave birth. I started using it when the contractions got so bad I thought I'd need some pain relief, so I tried that first.You can use it anytime from the start of your contractions though :)

ooooooo i'll ask my MW if they do them at my hospital and I've seen the girls use them so maybe I'll ask on the forum.

I know someone who rented the BOOTS tens and recommended it to me but for some reason I never entertained the idea.

oh and good luck with the sleep lol

I only had gas and air with Dan I was only 19 and hadnt even thought about an epi!!!! dont know why, I have to say with Dan I had such an easy labour dont know if it is because I have a high pain threshold (sp) or it was just easy!!!! Lol I would say give it a try hun and at the end of the day if you need it no harm in getting it. I had a spinal with Dec (dont know if that is the same as an epi) and I hated it, not being able to feel my legs for 2 hours was so scary, All the best hun hope you dont need it xx

I had a 'walking epidural' with Claire. I was only numb from my upper thighs to above my belly button. I could move my legs and didn't have to have the catheter. However, do what ever you are comfortable with.

As Nic has pointed out there are always other options. I was always curious about the TENS machines. :)

heres my story hun, hope its helps sorry if i waffled a bit-
when i was induced with lily i'd already been up 24 hours lol, mainly becos i was so bloody scared, they started me off at 8am, broke my water 6pm, wow was the pain intense.
i was open to the idea of a epi, but hated the thought of not being able to feel me legs!

i managed with jus gas and air and plenty of very helpful breathing exercises, we all knew lily was back to back from early on and i had to have ventouse to get her out lol. but my 9lb 3 bubs out!

i thought gas and air was amazing, but i think affects ppl differently! also pethadine is suposed to be brilliant.

next time id love a water birth with jus gas and air again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->