Epi & child birth ...Am I mad girls?

Whats mobile epi? Theres 2 options for this?

I don't mind not feeling whats going on Polo :blush: lol Its the needing cut I worry about and the fact my contractions stopped with Caitlin.

Tezzy - please :D

The way I did it was, before I was in too much pain I told the midwife not to let me have an epidural unless everyone in the room agreed I could not go on without one. Fortunately I was the only one that thought I couldn't do it and I am so glad they didn't let me give in!

Mobile epidurals are administered in the same way as a normal one, it's just a lower dose. You would need to check if they do it at your hospital as i know they don't do it here for some reason?

Yer definately need to ask about whats available maybe before any final decisions ...I'd go for that option.

i don't think your mad at all wobbles. i so wanted to do it on gas and air, and i agree with others, see how it goes. i had a 40hour labour and had the mobile epi. i really didn't want anything but i had to have my waters broken and oxytocin drip, only got to 3cm :dohh: and ended up with topping up the epi for an emergency section. but if i could i would have just tried with g and a and no epi and see how it goes. i was pretty flexible really, which is just as well i suppose :lol: what ever happens, i hope you get the birth you want, i would have loved the birth i wanted and no how hard it is :hugs: x

Mobile epidurals are administered in the same way as a normal one, it's just a lower dose. You would need to check if they do it at your hospital as i know they don't do it here for some reason?

Yep....what she said:rofl:. It

Yep....what she said:rofl:. It never slowed either of my labours down:dohh:

Oops sorry for butting in :blush:

I had an epidural and didnt have a bag put on. They emptied my bladder before they gave it. But my epidural failed, so i was kicking my legs about and never lost any feeling, ended up giving birth on nothing.

I wouldnt advise an epidural, mine failed and now i get pain every day where the epidural was administered, sometimes to the point that i struggle to walk.

My advice would be not to rule it out, but see how you go with other pain relief before opting for an epidural

Mine failed in my 1st labour too! x

its horrible when your last resort fails!haha...did you get pain where it was administered?
x

I only used gas and air first time round, but to be honest it was a nightmare - I had vacuum delivery, tore really badly, and bled heavily after. The stitching was agony - I could feel it all.

With my 2nd, I was more open minded - altho my heart was set on a water birth, I was more open minded. As it happened my labour was rediculously fast - established labour was recorded as 40 mins - so I hadn't time for any pain relief anyway.

In other words - best to go with the flow! If you really don't want one, ask oh to try and keep you going without one as when you are in labour I will guarantee you will ask for one!!! So he needs to know to try and gently discourage it (I say gently as I don't want to cause you to smack him when you are in labour lol!!!!)

i only just seen this thread...
Sorry to bump in, buuutt i dont think your mad at all.
I wasnt able to have an epi... i was in a car accident when i was young, and broken a vertabrae in my spine... it left me with an inch and a half wide, 7 inch long scar ontop of my spine... So, the doctors said it was far too risky for me to have a needle in my spine. So, they gave me the gas to try, but it was useless... they let me labour in the tub until i wasnt comfortable anymore, (they dont do water births here) so the warm water really helped alot, anyways, i breathed through al of my labour.. and i wouldnt have it any other way, i tore, 2nd degree, and i remember the stitching... but she gave me a shot of freezing stuff before she did it... i honestly couldnt imagine, not feeling my own urge to push, not having control of what im doing.. I know theres no special place for those of us who didnt have any drugs... but i like being able to say i did it on my own :)

Oops sorry for butting in :blush:

You didn't honey:hugs:....just beat me to it:rofl:

My 2nd epidural didn't work straightaway but boy was a lifesaver when they did get it working:happydance:

i didnt have the epi but i must say i felt pretty much back to normal after the birth and there were women in the other beds on my ward who couldnt get up and their backs were hurting...i only used gas and air (and i must add that i am the biggest wimp)...the gas and air didnt helo with the pain it just makes you feel quite high enough to bear with the pain if that makes sense....i think the other thing is i stayed at home for the longest possible time and i think that is helpful as you cannot have the epi at home so by the time i got to hospital i was fo far gone i wouldnt have been able to have it anyway and i managed without it......if you can manage without it then great....

also it is amazing to actually FEEL your baby coming out....its surreal

Rachie I felt the birth which makes me wonder.

I spoke to the consultant today a lil about options and 2nd time round and it really helped me she said I may not need it or less of and all the options I had including birthing pool ...I was going to go up and have a look at the room but someone was in it.

In short I think how she was with me I am quite comfortable with this decision now ...no I won't cross off entertaining the idea but I think I'll go without if I can and hopefully it all won't be so dragging this time.

See how you go love, I dont think you're mad. You might have a totally different labour this time. I was adamant I would have an epi and it all happened so quickly that I never got one but Im pleased now that I managed without because of the restrictions.

I dont think you're mad :) Just see how you manage with labour without it

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"