Epidurals

Gabi

Reaction score
Don't know if this has been covered yet. If so...SORRY!!! :blush:

I actually want to hear from all the ladies who have been through it all before.

My first thoughts were "no way is anyone poking me in the back with a needle" There were all those silly horror stories about being paralised. I've read a few articles on them since falling pregnant and these days most of those problems have been ironed out. My DH suggests I should read up as much as possible on them because I may end up begging for one.

So... opinions please? Anyone had? Was the experience one to repeat or the worst one of your life. Do they hurt? lol. Do they work?

This is my first baby so i haven't experienced an epidural as yet.

My Sister has had a birth with and without the epidural. She said the epidural was a godsend to help with the pain and it really helped, she has experienced no pain from having it since and that was seven years ago now.

She had the second one with just gas and air.

When i asked for advise, she said the birth was so much easier with the epi but after the birth without having the epi was much better i.e was mobile and could have a bath etc.

I'm not brave enough for an epidural. I'm a firm believer in natural birth. I know it's not for everyone but it is for me :)

I've been told I will almost definately need one if I have a vaginal birth. I've a skin condition which means I will definately split lots, probably up towards my clitoris ---eeeeeeooouch!
Anyway, I spoke with friends who both told me it wasnt painful, just felt like a lot of very cold water being put into you.

I had one after being induced, had already had pethidine, which had just worn off, could hardly sit still for them to put the needle in, and tbh, the contractions were so bad, I cant even remember them getting it in! Im not worried if I need one this time.

Its just a very strange sensation, not being able to move your legs lol! They had to top it up for a section, but as I say, I dont remember any pain when they put it in whatsoever...hope im not just blanking it out!

I had to have one with callum and i had no problems with it at all, couldnt feel them put the needle in and my contractions were so painful that for me it was a godsend.

It does feel really weird afterwards when you cant feel anything and when it starts wearing off i was so bloody itchy all over.

I was home the same day too. I had a catheter fitted and its strange when they take it out cos for me i wanted to go home asap and the mws said i had to have atleast 2 good size wee's before theyd let me go and i drank 3 jugs of water before i could pee!!! Normally one glass of water and i cant venture too far from a toilet!!!

Don't know if this has been covered yet. If so...SORRY!!! :blush:

I actually want to hear from all the ladies who have been through it all before.

My first thoughts were "no way is anyone poking me in the back with a needle" There were all those silly horror stories about being paralised. I've read a few articles on them since falling pregnant and these days most of those problems have been ironed out. My DH suggests I should read up as much as possible on them because I may end up begging for one.

So... opinions please? Anyone had? Was the experience one to repeat or the worst one of your life. Do they hurt? lol. Do they work?

i had a epi it was great. i had 2 wait 7 hrs on mine cos the wee dude who does them ws busy lol. mine worked brilliantly. i didnt feel anything the only thing i felt was the local anisanic

The pain relief of the epidural is nearly 100%. You do not feel a thing. I had pre-eclampsia and was in full tremors (the shakes) when they put my spinal catheter in, and I'm still up and walking, no back issues, no problems.

I did not experience the spinal headache which is acute and agonizing I have heard. (Vanwest had this... ask her).

But I hated being immobile. I know they have walking ones now which allow you to move easier.

I had a catheter. During my labor I had a probe or tube in nearly every oraffice of my body. Not a fun labor. I felt like a science experiment not a mommy. But to be fair, this didn't have to do with the epidural but the pre-eclampsia. But it did contribute a lot to it because of the immobility I felt, and the necessary urinary catheter I had.

I will not be having an epidural, and will opt for less invasive pain relief if needed. I have found that between the use of it and pitocin that labors can become stunted and frustrating - resulting in a necessary c section due to decline in baby or mom or both. But I cannot say it didn't help me in my first labor, and I didn't have any lasting or overly traumatic side effects.

:hugs:

I had the epi with both my births. Both weren't fun for me at all as I was having severe contractions while it was being put in and staying still was the worst part lol. The epidural itself didn't hurt at all but the first one was given earlier and I didn't like the feeling of not being able to move afterwards and being all out of it as I got way more doses with this one than the one I had last week. The recent one was awesome I have to say, I got it a hour before I delivered so it wasn't in me that long and I was able to walk 2 hours after giving birth (which those 2 hours was spent being stitched,paperwork,holding baby etc). By the time everything was done I was able to stand.

I wanted to do it natural, I tried but I just couldn't handle the pain so I opted for it and I'm happy I did because it made pushing a lot easier I think. With both epi's I had no problems, except this one I had a bit of a back ache for the first 2 days but thats it.

Thanks guys.
I think I'll definitely want one...maybe even more than one...

I had an epi..never saw the needle and never felt it either! They numbed me before giving it to me...and did it in between contractions. I had a really good experience, would def do it again for delivery if I can

Never had one the last time but it is something that I will consider putting down as an option this time. I was in a lot of pain the last time and the thought of going through that again scares me. x

yes they hurt yes they work had one coz i needed a c section but wouldnt do it again hated not being able to get up plus had complications big time

I had an epi with my second and i had a better birth experience than i thought i could no side effects as yet and i didn't even notice them put the needle in.

my first was scary and super painfull and afterwards it sucked! I left the epi to late and couldn't get one. I wish i hadnt now espesially after this baby as i would have been able to bond Joshua alot better.

Tis all personal choice though :)

I am def getting one! It scares me a lot, but I'm sure it's so worth it. I don't think I could handle the pain from strong contractions + vaginal tearing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->