Episiotomies

It terrifies me that the pain of labour is that bad that having an episiotomy is supposedly the last thing your worried about! I'm more scared of an episiotomy than I am of anything else. I suppose i'm in for a big surprise :s
I don't want an epidural but i'm considering it just because I don't want to feel an episiotomy!

Lol! I'm in the same boat, Im so terrified of one I'm actually thinking about having an epidural which I'm also freaked out about... Needle in my spine just freaks me out!

I'm freaking out here! Just wanted to know how many of you repeat mommies had one for the birth of your first child. How was the experience, and should I be completely terrified as I am... My sister had one for my nephew and said it was a piece of cake!:shrug: I don't know if I want to take her on that.. She's the same person that told me natural birth and contractions don't hurt! Lol.. She has a high tolerance for pain... So please... Help me out ladies

Read Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth and/or Spiritual Midwifery - both by Ina May Gaskin. She is an amazing midwife with amazing information on how to make birth a very positive experience with little risk of tearing, and medical intervention. :) my favourite birth books for sure!

Thanks Mountain, I'll definitely check that book out.

Episiotomies aren't standard practice in Canada anymore so I was not expecting to need one. I ended up having a high vacuum delivery and they gave me an episiotomy. It was not the best feeling in the world but I definitely thought it would be worse. I did have an epidural, but it was given a bit too early and had worn off by that time. My son's heart rate was dropping so when they did it it happened so quick that by the time I even knew what was going on it was over, my son was delivered a few seconds later and I didn't even have time to really care about the episiotomy. I also found the healing time quite quick. It bruised after for a few days and was a little tender but not at all as bad as I thought it would be.

I don't think these are still done as standard, although I guess it depends which country you're in (am on my phone so can't see that info). I know in the UK only about 15% of women have episiotomies, and it's usually for a reason such as forceps delivery.

But yes the thought of it terrifies me too! I just hope I don't need one.

Thats true, in the book I have apparently only 15% are done compared to 80% in the US although that may be different now as the book I have was printed in the late 90s.
Here in New Zealand there are a number of midwives who are very opposed to it and think a natural tear (1st or 2nd degree) is safer and preferable to being cut open. One midwife I spoke to even compared it to genital mutilation so yeah it really put me off them, also my mother had one but she was under an epidural and it got infected however she said you would not feel it since they use anaesthetic well they should anyway but compared to a minor tear the second time around she said she would rather let nature take its course if the tearing is going to be minimal

Explain to your midwife that you do not want one and are also terrified of the prospect of one, so she can help you with your anxieties :)

I had one. My son had severe shoulder dystocia so she did an episiotomy so she could reach inside and pull him out. I didn't feel it at all, however it was sore for a very long time after (my healing was normal). They aren't always done to prevent tears (but usually yes). They are not standard/routine here but mine was important.

honestly i have had many episiotimies and I have yet to feel real bad with it. Of course urinating I think is the worst but with my first child I had 50 stitches because I tore and they cut me but I was up walking around right away and I continued to be that way. Not saying I have the best pain tolerance but I just rather heal quicker . They say that you heal quicker when you get up and move around because the blood circulates more . I have also had epidurals with all but one of my children and it isn't too bad as long as you are in active labor and when that contraction comes and they put it in it isn't as bad. You feel more pain of the contraction then the needle going in. That has been my experiences anyway. Hope I have given some help:) I am only going by my own experiences and I hope you have a great experience with your labor and delivery.Happy and healthy labor and delivery too you:)

Just remember that there is also a good chance you won't need one! It was one of the things that bothered me the most when i thought about it in my last pregnancy but my MW was really good with telling me how to breathe and to push slowly as the baby was crowning and i escaped without needing one and just a few tiny grazes which didn't even need stitches.
I am hoping that maybe because i didn't need one before then i will more than likely escape second time round (please please please!). :flower:

I had one as my daughter was a forceps delivery. I'd already had an epidural so I didn't feel a thing. It was either that or tear badly, I suppose :shrug: I healed up just fine and I'm not worried if I have to have another this time round.

Sounds exactly like me! Really wasn't aware of it at the time. Didn't enjoy the stitches, only because the epidural was wearing off....but by that point I had my beautiful boy snuggling on my chest :D

Really, don't get worried about it. By that point, you just want your baby out, and it's definitely better than having a horrible tear....

My only wish is that I had gotten mine sooner! I was freaked out by it, so I kept telling my dr no, even though she wanted to give me one. Two hours into pushing later and terrible tears (that took 6 weeks to heal to the point that I didnt need to wear an ice pad in my underwear), I gave in, and said fine. About 2 minutes later my daughter was born. Also didnt want an epidural but I am so glad that I got one. It's crazy how quickly my mind changed about 12 hrs into labor!

I had one with my son as i was pushing for 3 hours and he just wasnt budging; also had a ventouse delivery after they cut me. I had no pain relief only gas and air and i gave up on that after a while it wasnt really doing anything. To be honest, in amongst the pain of contractions/crowning etc, i didnt even feel them cut me, they also injected me with a numbing agent, seriously you wont even know they are doing it if you have it and if you are given pain relief, you wont feel it any way. When it gets to that stage, you are willing for them to rip you open, anything to get the baby out!!! Dont fret about it too much, worrying wont change anything; just focus on the positive that you'll have a beautiful baby after a few hours of discomfort xx

Just remember that there is also a good chance you won't need one! It was one of the things that bothered me the most when i thought about it in my last pregnancy but my MW was really good with telling me how to breathe and to push slowly as the baby was crowning and i escaped without needing one and just a few tiny grazes which didn't even need stitches.
I am hoping that maybe because i didn't need one before then i will more than likely escape second time round (please please please!). :flower:

This is true, there is a good chance you won't need one. Sounds like it's not common any more unless there is a real necessity for it. As I said, my sons heart beat was dropping due to stress and a few other ladies have mentioned that there were circumstances that made it neccessary to have one. There are good odds that you won't have to worry:)

i had a epis with my first and it was fine, altho even now the thought of it is horrible lol i didnt have one with my second and i had a internal tear which i had no problems with at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->