Episiotomy healing

baileybubs

Reaction score
Hi ladies

Just wondering what your experiences were of episiotomy healing? I'm only 2 days pp but at the moment it's so painful just moving from one position to another. I can pick my son up but then struggle to sit down whilst holding him in order to feed him, or when I need to get up to him it takes me so long just to get myself up!! I have my partner at home for another 11 days but we also hav a one year old so I'm just praying that it's gotten better by the time he goes back otherwise I've no idea how I will cope!!

Also hoping to hear that going to the loo gets easier, it's not helping I'm struggling to poop but when I am trying to hold tissue to my perenium so I can try a poop I also end up weeing (sorry tmi!) which then stings!!

It does get better, I had an episiotomy and labial tear so I experienced all of this, I think it got better at about 1 week pp.....the poo thing I honestly subconsciously held till I couldn't anymore, the first few hurt and even now it's occasionally sore.....it should be a lot better before your partner goes back to work

I am 3 weeks 3 days pp and only just starting to feel better although this is probably because my cut is still open as they didnt stitch me up properly, i did start to be able to sit down and get up better at about 14 days pp. And now it doesnt hurt much really. My poos didnt hurt or my wees because i lent right forward for wees and didnt do anything to aid a poo.

If you can bathe twice a day, i did in liquid savlon but in the last week started adding tea tree oil and lavender oil, a cap ful of liquid savlon to a cup of milk and adding it to the bath and it seems to have helped alot with healing x

Thanks ladies, I'm just getting so frustrated coz I can't do anything without it hurting! My ds has been awake on and off for the past 3 hours now feeding and just generally being unsettled and I can't do a great deal to help coz I can't sit up on the bed to feed him as it hurts, I can't walk round with him to settle him, I'm getting upset coz I'm his mum and I can't do anything to help! Plus poor df is having to do everything as well as try to look after me and our 1 year old as well!
Thanks for the tips, just hoping this improves soon! I'm lying here in bed and even not moving my cut is so sore!!

I feel your pain, im 3 weeks pp and also had an episiotomy. The first few days were terrible, I found regular paracetamol helped, 2 four times a day without missing any. After 5 days I noticed a difference and things got easier from there. It took two weeks for my main stitches to come away and everything feels normal again now. Hope you feel better soon

Thanks jojo, I realised this morning that I didn't take my ibuprofen and paracetamol last night so that won't have helped. I've set alarms on my phone now to make sure I take them on time. I also have an ice pack that is so great to sit on lol! And I sent df out for lavender oil and arnica tablets this morning so hopefully it will all get better from here on!

The things we go through hey ladies?!

OMG it's not getting any better! Feel like this pain is never going to go away!

Did you ladies feel like it all felt wrong down there?? I daren't look at it but it feel like I've burst stitches but I've done everything I could to rest and take it easy, only way I may have burst them would be because I've had to move for some reason like going to the loo or going to bed!!

I wish it would just heal already, it's making me miserable and I can't even look after my children properly :-(

has the midwife checked them yet hun? If not ask her to (my midwife checked mine every few days after ds1). If shes not due round ask dh to check for you to see if any have split open or got infected.

What kind of delivery did you have hun? was it assisted? If so these take a lot longer to heal and are a bit more painful because of the trauma to the vagina during he procedure.

When you pee try lean right forward or pour some water at the same time as it dilutes the wee so it doesnt sting as much. Buy some stool softener until you feel more able to go on your own.. that really helps. And always keep on top of your pain meds.

Its a while since i had DS1 but i know i was in a fair bit of pain the first few days (my birth was a bodge job failed vontouse.. and then delivered by foreceps... so lots and lots of pain).. i could sit ok after the first few days. and didnt really have any major problem getting about but i had bad shooting pains for a good couple of years afterwards (but this is just due to the way my son was yanked out).

for sitting you could try one of those donut cushion things? and when you get up/down try keep your legs together so your not stretching your perineum

:hugs:

Thanks Hun, I think I definately need stronger pain meds. It hurts just to sit down. I've managed to master going to the loo fairly pain free but I'm finding that the maternity pads are irritating my cut and stitches.

And yeah it was a forceps delivery too so I'm apparently quite bruised and swollen according to the MW. She's coming out today so I'll ask her to check. I just wanna be able to move about without excruciating pain! Plus I'm terrified of it still hurting like this when df goes back to work coz there's no way I can cope looking after my toddler like this!

I had extremely painful healing of my tear, and it never healed properly so they ended up having to fix it about 5 weeks PP, I was in tears the first week or so from the pain, I'd get them to check it if you can xxx

ahh yeah well after foreceps hun it can take a little longer purely because of the damage it can do inside as well so theres more swelling there to heal as well as the cut. I was a complete mess down there for a while afterwards (its all good now though)

im glad your able to get it checked today.. and if your not Bfing hun goto the chemist and get some stronger pain meds :hugs: it should be much much better byt he time your oh goes back to work xx

Aww I hope so, thanks Hun. I'm sending df out for cocodamol today then I'll get GP to prescribe me the stronger ones on Monday. Hopefully that will help and I might not end up having a manic crying session every day coz I can't cope lol!

Co-codamol might be enough hun :) but hopefully the doc could maybe prescribe some anti inflamitaries to help the swelling go.down a.but which would help a lot with the pain xx

My lil guy was 8'1 I'm 5'1 I got vacuumed had episiotomy and stitches. I remember thinking. I am never going to feel normal again. I was back in the gym at 5weeks. After two weeks the stitches were better, three weeks great and at four weeks I was completely pain free. It heals real quick down in the lady garden. I always wanted a C section and felt that way after I had him but when I started getting better and being able to hold my wee I felt great. It genuinely gets better.

Thanks Hun, I'm already feeling much better at just under 2 weeks after his birth. Mentally I'm still a bit upset about it (it's quite scary when they start rushing around and talking about baby in distress!) but physically it's much much better. Just can't wait til I can go to the loo properly now lol!

Yes that's what I found the hardest holding the wee and getting the push back for the poops. But it gets better quickly. I couldn't get over it. They frighten the life out of you in delivery my heart stopped twice, the lil guy was always fine it was me that was the problem.

Yikes that sounds scary Hun! The things that happen to us women in order to have children eh?!

Glad your feeling better mine is fully healed now it took longer because i wasnt stiched properly so it had to heal on its own, i even managed to dtd yesterday at 4 weeks 6 days pp i am missing my tea tree and lavender oil baths and the excuse to bath in peace every night lol x

Much better now thanks Hun! Still achey at times if I sit in certain positions and when I go to the loo but there's no more pain any more. It doesn't even sting when I pee now yay! Sadly I may have an infection so I'm on antibiotics but the doctor is treating me for infection even though he's not got the results so I might not even have an infection, just being cautious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->