Estelle or Isla?

Elisheva009

Reaction score
When we were expecting our son, we had the name Estelle picked for a girl (in fact, it was under consideration for our first daughter but we ended up going with a different name.) Now we are expecting a girl and had planned to call her Estelle but lately I find myself drawn to the name Isla.

Which do you prefer?

The main problem I have with Isla is that I think it has become very popular in the UK and I prefer less popular names.

Middle name in either case would probably be Liora.

I prefer the name Isla, but Estelle sounds better with the middle name you want to use xx

I prefer Isla, not too keen on Estelle sorry. I'm in the UK but haven't heard of any Isla's in real life :)

I prefer Isla, not too keen on Estelle sorry. I'm in the UK but haven't heard of any Isla's in real life :)

interesting! I think it's currently the 3rd most popular girl's name. I know of one Isla who happens to be the daughter of a friend from college, although we're no longer in touch.

I know of one Estelle but she's more my age. I think it was more common 30-40 years ago but isn't used much these days. I like the meaning which is "star."

I guess the problem with asking on a forum is that because I prefer more unusual names, people aren't going to like them. If they did, they wouldn't be unusual! :haha:

What do people think of the middle name Liora?

I have loved Estelle as long as I can remember. DH won't let me use it though. It's a family name too!

Isla is nice too but it's also a new popular name so possible trendy. I know two baby Islas.

I like both but Isla has definitely become very common. I think I slightly prefer Estelle, lovely name. :)

I love Isla and would love to give my baby girl the same name but hubby hates it.
I think Isla Estelle goes beautifully if you decided not to use the other middle name :)

I like Isla but it does put me off now because it's so popular....I know 4.

I'd go for Estelle because it's not common; it's not a name I'd necessarily be drawn to but for some reason I am now!

Xx

I love Isla and would love to give my baby girl the same name but hubby hates it.
I think Isla Estelle goes beautifully if you decided not to use the other middle name :)

I can't use Estelle as the middle name as my older daughter has the middle name Lielle and I don't want them to rhyme, although we only use the first name in every day life.

I really like Isla, one of my girls has it for a middle name, but the popularity would also put me off using it as a first name (I am in the UK too). Not keen at all on Estelle, sorry.

I have an Isla, wasn't so popular a couple of years ago but dropping my son off at preschool yesterday and there's an Isla there, I was gutted lol! Xx

Not keen on Estelle...it reminds me of Estelle off Friends :wacko:

Isla is very popular near me. My nice is called Isla.

Not keen on Estelle...it reminds me of Estelle off Friends :wacko:

Isla is very popular near me. My nice is called Isla.

Ohhh that changes things! I've never watched Friends but I know it's very popular and I don't think I'd like the association!

Isla. It is very popular, but there's a reason a name is popular: because it's an awesome name!! :flower:

I have a very strong dislike for the name Estelle. And I don't know why.

I'm a huuuuge Friends fan and I do think of the character when I hear the name, but honestly, I kind of like it more because of that. She was hilarious! :haha:

I am also a big fan of Friends and I think of the character when I hear the name Estelle. Although I think the character is hilarious, it's not really someone I would want as the namesake for my child! My daughter is named Isla so I am biased, but I am also in Canada where the name isn't as popular as in the UK, although it is still in the top 20 I think.

We had the name Isla picked as our girl's name for several years before we even were TTC, and it wasn't as popular then. When we had our little girl we were a little put off by the rise in popularity of the name, but we loved it so decided to use it anyways.

It looks like it's back to the drawing board then!

DH hasn't come up with anything else. We rejected Annaelle with our first daughter but ended up going with a name too similar to use it with a second daughter.

Completely out of inspiration, which is strange because I can usually think of loads of girls names I like but when it comes to giving them to my ow daughter I can't think of anything!

What about Estella? Is that any better/ less likely to make people think of "Friends," or do people still think "oh that's similar to the girl from friends?"

I prefer Estelle and Stella as separate names (and I really like them both), Estella feels kind of awkward to say.

Honestly, I don't think the Estelle from Friends connection will last much into the next generation, she was a minor character. I wouldn't let it put me off at all, personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->