Etiquette for getting baby/maternity clothes from friends?

skookie

Reaction score
Hi all! I've had several offers from a few ladies I know to give me their maternity clothes and/or baby clothes (since we found out it's a boy). What's the etiquette as far as offering to pay them for things? I don't want to make things awkward by asking "how much?" But I don't mind paying for a good haul of maternity clothes or baby clothes from a friend. Nobody mentions selling me stuff but their wording is like "you can have all my _____!!" So how do we go about making the exchange/payment/gift etc. do I assume it's a gift and maybe give a gift card to show appreciation? Offer to pay? Assume I will pay and ask the amount? First time mom so I need to learn to navigate these waters!

I would assume they are offering the clothes for free unless they said they where selling. A nice bunch of flowers or wine is a nice thank you

If ever I'm offered anything I just say "please can I give you something for them" if they refuse I buy a little gift to say thanks :)

First of all I'm jealous (lol) because i keep asking all my friends if they have maternity clothes I could borrow but no luck!

I know personally that when I offer something up I mean for free. If I were you, I would just ask "I would love that! How much are you looking for for them?" just to break the ice. Most likely they will come back and say they don't want anything for them - in which case you can get them a small gift card or something out of appreciation :)

Oh I should also mention that it can break the ice to just say "thank you so much! What if they get stained? Would you like me to buy a few new pieces when I return them to you if a few pieces got stained?" - then you'll know if they want the stuff back when you're done or if it's yours forever, haha

If I'm offering something I wouldn't expect payment, if someone offers to me I offer to pay but I hope it's not too much!!

If ever I'm offered anything I just say "please can I give you something for them" if they refuse I buy a little gift to say thanks :)

This :thumbup:

thats what I would do and also if they refuse, which most likely they will if they offerend to pass them on to u, I would send them a nice thank you card with a restaurant gift card.

In my experience when someone offers clothes it's usually with no strings attached. I've given baby clothes away and have been so happy they'll be put to good use that I never expected anything in return. Never hurts to ask I guess.

I've been having same dilemma. A friend of mine who has had the last of her kids, just keeps bringing me tons of stuff. Maternity clothes, kids stuff... Some / a lot are not useful anyway as we are very different sizes / styles, but I'm starting to feel really awkward about it. She keeps saying she doesn't want anything but I feel guilty. She now keeps telling me she is going to give me lots of her baby stuff - car seat, Moses basket, changing table etc. It'll be really useful as we got rid of all our baby stuff, but I'm really uncertain how to navigate the payments. I can't just take all this stuff, but some of it I don't actually need ( she's brought round a brand new Egyptian cotton Moses basket, beautiful but I never really use them). She just left it here, so it's hard to reject, but she could sell it for a decent price - I don't feel like I can just take these things! So complicated! I am really grateful to her, but starting to feel like a charity case!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->