European Birth

Incubator

Reaction score
Hi there.

Having planned for a year of travelling, I fell pregnant with two months to go before we set off. I'm excited and happy - but it does raise a lot of problems and questions and the hows and wheres of the birth itself.

Has anyone given birth in another country to their own? Was it difficult? Does anyone have any advice about where the best places in Europe will be to get good care? We've got the European Health Cards, so we know wherever we are, we'll be covered, but there's more to it than just turning up at the hospital, so any help or advice anyone could give would be much appreciated.

We're coming home for the 20 week scan, but are hoping to be able to stay away for the rest of the year. I'm six weeks pregnant now; we'd be leaving on the 17th of August this year, and staying away until the 17th of August next year.

Our doctor is being really supportive (he laughed when I asked him about it, and said "you're not ill!"), but he wasn't particularly helpful with the details.

Any words of wisdom?

For me the biggest issue would be not be able to have one doctor/hospital follow the development throughout the pregnancy. Someone who knows the history of it and can see how things are developing. But I suppose if you make sure that you always get everything written down and carry all the medical notes with you, you should be fine wherever you go. It's great that your doctor is being so supportive! :)

Not sure where the best country in Europe would be. I'm from Finland, myself, and generally the healthcare there is very good, but in the recent years there have been cutbacks and longer queues etc.... But don't have personal experience of it (that goes 10 years back, and nothing to do with pregnancy & birth!).

But I suppose personally I would gravitate more towards North and West for the birth, you should be ok anywhere in those regions. I would probably not go for Southern or Eastern Europe myself.

As for giving birth from a country other than your own, I will be doing that and quite far from 'home'. We're living in China, have been for the past few years, and this is where I'll be also giving birth. I'm very, very happy with the hospital where I go to, the facilities are great and the staff are just lovely. Couldn't ask for better :)

Oh, and your travel plans sound just fantastic! Have the bestest time on your adventures! :plane:

Thanks so much!

Good luck with the birth...not long now!

Are you fluent in Chinese? If not, is the language barrier an issue?
Are you having to pay for your care? Sorry....lots of questions!

We've read that Finland is a great place to have a baby and it's certainly the best place for maternity benefits etc...there was a big article in the Guardian a little while ago talking all about it.

We are really excited about our travel plans but it's quite nerve wracking at the same time. I was told I'd have trouble conceiving and so my consultant told us to start trying early so when we got back from our travels we'd have been trying for at least a year and we could get help on the NHS. Anyways, as is the nature of things, I got pregnant pretty much straight away....which is fantastic and we're both over the moon about it but it's meant a quick rethink of plans....I'd already resigned from work, my boyfriend has taken a sabbatical and his replacement has already been hired so we felt we should just go for it. We can always come home if things get too tricky but people have babies all over the world, all of the time, so fingers crossed it'll all be fine....and a bit of an adventure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->