Ever worried your pets will get jealous?

calm

Reaction score
Ever since we have been living together (alone with no MIL) (5 years), me and DH have had 2 cats, brother and sister. We both dote on them, go awwww look what she/he has done, hold them like babies, and basically, they are the children we have not had yet (okay, a lot simpler than having children, I know)

The get jealous of each other sometimes, especially if DH has one in his arms and not the other, then they sometimes give the other a bite on the bum etc.

I am not really thinking of the issue of if they would hurt our baby or anything like that (I would of course take all the precautions to make sure this does not happen). I am actually thinking more of the cats at this moment. I just don't want them to feel left out, and look on at how we are now holding someone else. I keep imagine that I will have to pick the cats up just after I have picked up the baby just to show I still care.

Okay, mad mad mad :fool:

I have two dogs, a cavalier (2 year old boy) and a cocker spaniel (23 week old girl), and I know my Zacky boy will be jealous. He wouldn't try and do anything to harm the baby though, he's been around babies and toddlers before (he sniffs babies a lot, they smell interesting, and he loves playing with toddlers, he's so gentle), but he will feel left out. I'll just have to make sure he gets lots of attention. I have no idea how Chloe cocker will be. She's less clingy than Zack, but <shrug>.

I suppose they will just have to get used to their brother/sister :D

My cats get well jealous! When Lucy is around they either get really clingy and want to sit with me all the time or they go out and the second shes in bed they are all over me like a rash! Lucy loves them though!

I have exactly the same cat situation: boy and girl littermates, totally doted upon. They adjusted beautifully to the baby. A bit of attitude from the female, but mostly polite interest/disinterest depending on what baby is up to. My husband and I are careful to give them lots of attention, but they really did adjust on their own.

I have exactly the same cat situation: boy and girl littermates, totally doted upon. They adjusted beautifully to the baby. A bit of attitude from the female, but mostly polite interest/disinterest depending on what baby is up to. My husband and I are careful to give them lots of attention, but they really did adjust on their own.

Yes, I can imagine my DH doing just the same, as he adores the cats (so do I, but sometimes I think he is a better "parent").I also think the girl will be interested, as when we used to look after a friend's toddler, she would always watch her full of interest, not sure if she had good or bad thoughts, but she certainly wouldn't take her shiny cat eyes of her.

I was really worried about my kitty getting jealous of my baby... especially since she stuck to me like glue throughout my entire pregnancy... and is afraid of the baby! But no, she's been fabulous... she has never gotten into the baby's bed, stroller, playpen since she's been home, she still keeps her distance from Elyse actually, and I don't leave Elyse unattended anyway yet. She's always close by or in the bedroom in her crib with the door shut (kitty outside of the room).

grr, just typed and got distracted by BGT and seem to have deleted what I wrote! Try again!...
So, as I was saying, I am quite worried about my two cats. The one is such a scaredy little boy as it is. We had our friends stay with us last weekend and he was constantly whinging until I let him out (we do have a cat flap but he doesn't go out of it, he'll only come in through it - strange boy!) and then when I did let him out, he wouldn't come in until they left. I really really hope that the cats will see the baby as part of the family and soon get used to the baby! x

grr, just typed and got distracted by BGT and seem to have deleted what I wrote! Try again!...
So, as I was saying, I am quite worried about my two cats. The one is such a scaredy little boy as it is. We had our friends stay with us last weekend and he was constantly whinging until I let him out (we do have a cat flap but he doesn't go out of it, he'll only come in through it - strange boy!) and then when I did let him out, he wouldn't come in until they left. I really really hope that the cats will see the baby as part of the family and soon get used to the baby! x

Yes, deep down I am sure all pets get used to the LO when he/she arrives, she must make sure we give them attention too (easy not to when not sleeping, and every moment dedicated to baby) I am sure they will remind us if we forget to hug them as much.

I do worry my cats will get jealous, Spencer is quite laid back so probably won't be too bad but Izzy is a daddy's girl and am sure she would hate to see him cuddling a baby and not her!

I do worry my cats will get jealous, Spencer is quite laid back so probably won't be too bad but Izzy is a daddy's girl and am sure she would hate to see him cuddling a baby and not her!

Yeh, my boy cat is daddy's boy and my girl cat is daddy's girl, so I think the will be really jealous. They also have the habit of having to get into anything new, so when they see the baby furniture I know for sure they will try to get in the cot ect and assume its for them.

I'm more worried about my dog wanting to play with any of the babies toys. The softer they are the more he will want them!

I'm more worried about my dog wanting to play with any of the babies toys. The softer they are the more he will want them!

Yeah, and the more you say: no, the more the pet will want it.

yes! so much so! we have a gorgeous cat, but he's so demanding - he sleeps between us, he climbs all over us when we get in, he's always jumping up & sitting on what we're doing (reading the paper, the laptop, books, mail, etc). for a cat he's extremely dependent on human company. it's really worrying about how he'll take it if we have a baby which makes me wonder whether we should have one or not.
xx

Yeh, my boy cat is daddy's boy and my girl cat is daddy's girl, so I think the will be really jealous. They also have the habit of having to get into anything new, so when they see the baby furniture I know for sure they will try to get in the cot ect and assume its for them.

I am pretty sure I am going to have that problem too! We will be buying a house before baby arrives (hopefully anyway!) and I plan on trying to keep them out of that room as much as possible from as soon as we move in.

I am pretty sure I am going to have that problem too! We will be buying a house before baby arrives (hopefully anyway!) and I plan on trying to keep them out of that room as much as possible from as soon as we move in.

My boy cat makes a beeline and runs like a bolt, sort of suicide mission when any door opens he knows he is not allowed to enter. I might do the opposite, show him round, perhaps take away the curiosity out of the cat (hum, I am kidding myself right?)

yes! so much so! we have a gorgeous cat, but he's so demanding - he sleeps between us, he climbs all over us when we get in, he's always jumping up & sitting on what we're doing (reading the paper, the laptop, books, mail, etc). for a cat he's extremely dependent on human company. it's really worrying about how he'll take it if we have a baby which makes me wonder whether we should have one or not.
xx

Our cat used to sleep between us and especially in between DH's legs. When we moved house we didn't let them in the bedroom anymore. They got used to it. I am sure your cat will adapt too. :hug::hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->