Excessive Peeing & Thirst.. Being Tested for Gestational Diabetes Insipidus..

wannabemamaz

Reaction score
Hi There Ladies,

I had my 30 week appt yesterday and mentioned to my Dr that I am drinking and peeing like a mad woman. (This is my first successful pregnancy so everything is new to me!) She started asking me more questions. I pee at least once an hour and 4-5 times per night. I have a large tumbler that I take with me everywhere. it is .075 litres and I drink at least 4 of them per day.. so at least 3L of water per day. I am so so thirsty. I try to restrict liquids after 9pm as much as I can and don't drink anything during the night.

The peeing is getting difficult because I have to stop ALL THE TIME when I am away from home. It seems to be worse when I am up and moving. I am not peeing a TON when I do go.. an average amount for someone who is peeing every hour.. I am able to quench my thirst but think about drinking something all the time if I don't have a drink with me. (Just to clarify.. I told my Dr that I am totally okay with all the peeing but that I just wanted to bring it up because I wasn't sure if it was normal. I had a miscarriage last year so I am beyond happy to be pregnant and will take all the symptoms that come with it!)

My dr is testing me for gestational diabetes insipidus. I had my regular GD screening a few weeks ago and passed with flying colors. I did find out around that time that I had low iron and have been on a supplement since then. She also wants me to track my urine output and my liquid intake for a 12 hour period and let her know what the amounts are. She wants to see me again in a week (so I have an appt next Tuesday). She told me that she thinks I don't actually have the diabetes insipidus and that it is extremely rare. She also said it is completely harmless and that it would correct itself 2-4 weeks after birth. She really thinks that my peeing and drinking is just normal for pregnancy but is just wanting to check to be sure.

I don't know why I am so worried about it but I can't stop thinking about it!! I'm wondering if any of you have ever been tested for it or have been diagnosed with it.. Also wondering how often you pee and how much you drink.. I am also thinking its completely normal but we will see!

Thanks for any insight you can give!

hi,
So i drink 3-4 litres a day and have a constant raging thirst and need to wee a lot from all the fluid!
I passed my GTT diabetes test so think it is normal and all part of it.
fingers crossed for you too
xx

I drink about 100oz of water per day, and sometimes I'm peeing 10 minutes after I've just gone. It's annoying, but a necessary evil at this point. I passed my gtt test as well, but am being monitored for low am ionic fluid, so as I'm not constantly thirsty during the day like you are, I need to drink to help keep my fluid levels at a safe level. I am thirsty at night though. Ridiculously thirsty at night, which sucks to wake up 4-5 each night to pee.

What you're describing actually doesn't sound unusual to me. I also drink about the same amount and pee a lot. I did the same in my first pregnancy and didn't have GD.

Have you been checked for a UTI? That can make you pee a lot. Also, are you eating lots of salty or sugary foods? These can cause thirst.

I have GD but don't have excessive thirst or need to pee. I do drink more when pregnant but only b/c it's good for me and baby and b/c my nose gets stuffy so I have to mouth breath which dries me out quicker.
Anywho, what you described sounds pretty normal to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->