Exercise and newborns

lorenare

Reaction score
For those who exercise, when did you come back to the gym after having a baby and how did you do if you were breastfeeding when you were at the gym and baby at home? I am more than ready to start workng out again!

I waited until after my check-up and got the clearance. Not a gym person, so I work out at home. Walking, crunches, cardio, etc. Right now I'm into the dance games - Evelyn usually bounces along with me in her jumparoo. :haha:

Hope you get it figured out!

I had an episiotomy and ended up on antibiotics so had to wait until that had all healed - around six weeks. Then I was back at the gym three times a week. I just built my fitness up slowly, though it didn't drop too much as I exercised right up until giving birth.

I breast fed at first and timed my gym visits after a feed, and my baby fed every hour at points so it is possible! Just be careful not to overdo it as I think that can affect your supply. Drink plenty of water.

We don't have a gym around here as we're too rural, but I was back to working out just with long walks, hikes and then eventually back to running within about 2 months or so (though the running wasn't until maybe 4 months, I don't quite remember). For long walks and hikes (2-4 hours), just took baby with me and usually she slept most of the time. As for runs, I did it in the morning or evening when I could find some time to sneak away for an hour. In the early days, babies feed a lot, but by 2-3 months, it's much more regular so it was easier to fit time in for myself. If it's hard to get away, you might find it's easier just to walk or run around home for a bit until your baby goes longer stretches between feeds.

We don't have a gym around here as we're too rural, but I was back to working out just with long walks, hikes and then eventually back to running within about 2 months or so (though the running wasn't until maybe 4 months, I don't quite remember). For long walks and hikes (2-4 hours), just took baby with me and usually she slept most of the time. As for runs, I did it in the morning or evening when I could find some time to sneak away for an hour. In the early days, babies feed a lot, but by 2-3 months, it's much more regular so it was easier to fit time in for myself. If it's hard to get away, you might find it's easier just to walk or run around home for a bit until your baby goes longer stretches between feeds.

I am in iceland and there is snow everywhere now so going for walks is impossible and dangerous at the moment..too much ice :cry:

I started back at the gym 2 weeks PP. Very light bike and elliptical. Started jogging and lifting weights at 6 weeks PP. I'm never gone more than an hour or two, so I go right after he's done nursing. I combo feed anyway, so if he does get hungry while I'm gone, he gets a bottle of formula.

6-8 weeks following the OK from Dr at postnatal check.

Feed the baby before you go... Its not like you'll be gone hours :)

3 weeks but I am very experienced exerciser, I waited longer with my first.

I wouldn't bother heading to a gym. I did that and it was a pain in the butt with naps and nursing. I invested in some kettlebells and did some great workouts at home, worked much better with the baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->